forum

[Proposal] Allow BNs to set Genre and Language categories for beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
enneya
If you look at the recently ranked beatmap listing, the Genre and Language category are for 99.9% of cases set to their defaults, "Unspecified" and "Other" respectively. Setting these categories for each beatmapset used to be a job for the QAT, which now doesn't exist anymore.

I think this job should be taken over by the BNG for a couple reasons:
- It will allow players to search for modern beatmaps through the genre and language sorts in the beatmaps listing, especially for "rare" genres, like hip hop (one map belonging to that genre i think is currently qualified).
- It can be used as a "verification", ensuring that the nominators have checked the validity of the set's metadata.
- In my opinion, something promoted as "official content" of this game shouldn't have potentially misleading information on its website.

Same could be applied to Loved maps, which I assume also has metadata checking in place. That should be handled by the user in charge of promoting the beatmap to Loved.

Something along the lines of the following can be added to the Beatmap Nominator rules under Nomination if accepted:
  1. The Language and Genre category of a beatmap should be set after nomination. Ensure the values you're setting are correct, as this is a part of the beatmap's metadata. If you are unsure, ask another Beatmap Nominator for assistance. If you think the categories of a nomiated beatmap are incorrect, contact the nominators of the beatmap.
pishifat
moved to development subforum, since ranking criteria doesn't control these web permissions