forum

Minimum 100ms hitsound rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pishifat

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Every .wav file must be at least 100ms long to prevent issues with soundcards.

this has been on the ranking criteria since before i knew what the ranking criteria was and i never learned what it affected

is this "sound card issue" still a thing? has anyone encountered it?

if not, i suppose the rule can go away...?
Loctav
This sounds like a technical matter and you should ask the developers about that tbh.
Topic Starter
pishifat
did some research and found that it's a rule because

old wrote:

[01:30] <MetalMario201> no sound used in this game should be shorter than 100ms
[01:30] <MetalMario201> it causes issues with soundcards
[01:30] <MetalMario201> for me, hitnormal on Lollipop is silence
[01:30] <MetalMario201> because it's too short
[01:31] <MetalMario201> adding trailing silence fixes it

(lollipop refers to https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1527#osu/15625)

the hitsound he's complaining about is 3ms long and is audible in osu after making the file 5ms long (for me at least). 100ms seems unnecessarily long, which might be why nobody today knew what this mysterious "sound card issue" was... or more likely, nobody knew what the sound card issue was because nobody is dumb enough to try using a sub-5ms hitsound beacuse unsurprisingly it sounds like garbage

so while it may technically make sense to have this restriction, i think it's affected 0 people in the last 11 years and can probably be removed from the rc beacuse of that. any objections?
Sonnyc
The mystery why Rolled decided to use a silent hitnormal was solved.. 100ms surely feels a little unnecessarily long but I think completely removing it shouldn't be needed either to prevent such cases. Something like 10ms should be fine too. In case this is getting completely removed, guess we'll need a new phrase like "Hitsounds shouldn't cause soundcard issue." etc
-Keitaro
even if was indeed soundcard issue, i believe anything older than 10 years old (or even shorter) couldn't even run osu now, so guess that soundcards are also been upgraded over time.

would say yeah 100ms seems unreasonably long, could shorten it a lot more
tatatat
The rule seems perfectly reasonable to me, who needs a 5ms hitsound?
Topic Starter
pishifat

tatatat wrote:

The rule seems perfectly reasonable to me, who needs a 5ms hitsound?

given there's been cases of hitsounds that are below 100ms but don't cause the problems that led to this rule, i'd say it could use a change

people seem to not want to get rid of the rule, so let's instead change it to something more reasonable with a proper explanation

new wrote:

Every hit sound file must be at least 25ms long. Shorter files can result in no sound being played in-game.

i use 25ms as a base since while modding for the last few years, the shortest file i came across was 30ms (and it didn't have any issue with playback). if anyone has problems with sub-25ms files, we can increase the number
Topic Starter
pishifat
https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2611 if it turns out 25ms is too low and hitsounds start breaking, we can adjust it to something higher