forum

[Proposal] Allow .ogg format for hitsounds

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I have done the necessary testing (stable and lazer) to support this change, including compatibility and latency tests. No code changes are required to support this. I do encourage further independent testing in case I missed any edge cases.

Benefits:

1. Lower filesize
  2. All known ogg encoders do not add any offset / silence to converted files

Note that this should only apply to hitsounds. Actual track data should remain mp3 for compatibility reasons.

When adding the new criteria, it is probably wise to specify a minimum bitrate in a similar way it is specified for audio tracks. I would suggest 128kbit.
OliBomby
Yes! This is what i wanted all this time. With ogg samples the reduced filesize lets you use like 10x more samples before filesize becomes a problem. Imagine all the crazy hitsounds people can rank.

When I used Hitsound Studio from Mapping Tools I quickly reached insane numbers of samples by using many different sounds, but with ogg that wont be much of a problem.
TheBlank
Pog
-xKeita-
Definitely need this, ogg would do loads of good for us
lewski
pOGG
Full Tablet
128kbps Vorbis sounds considerably better than 128kpbs MP3. I think that the lower limit can be lower, 96kbps Vorbis is more or less comparable to 128kbps MP3 (depending on the audio that is being encoded).
Flanster
Theres already ranked mapsets with OGG hitsounds
Nao Tomori
will need a blank .ogg file to use (like there is a blank .wav file) - when i tried encoding one it came out to 3.8 KB so dunno wat happened there lol
Flanster

Nao Tomori wrote:

will need a blank .ogg file to use (like there is a blank .wav file) - when i tried encoding one it came out to 3.8 KB so dunno wat happened there lol

Lol yeah, lowest I could go was 3.46KB (in Audacity - Quality 0, Mono, 8kHZ, 16bit PCM).
Also I tried oggenc with a 44 byte WAV file and it it encoded it to 3.8KB. Dunno what magical software makes a stripped header only OGG file.
Topic Starter
peppy

Flanster wrote:

Do you have examples of this?

Full Tablet wrote:

128kbps Vorbis sounds considerably better than 128kpbs MP3. I think that the lower limit can be lower, 96kbps Vorbis is more or less comparable to 128kbps MP3 (depending on the audio that is being encoded).

I'd rather not.

Nao Tomori wrote:

Just use wav?
OliBomby

Flanster wrote:

I believe these were ranked before the rule was put in place that prohibited ogg files.

One map that comes to my mind is DJPop's snow halation that keysounds the whole song. The samples might be ogg but show like wav and none of my programs except osu can read them.
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/235098#mania/556026
Flanster
Full Tablet
I think it is better to specify that this proposal refers to Vorbis codec in an Ogg container. Opus in an Ogg container doesn't work in osu! (probably doesn't support FLAC, OggPCM, or Speex either, though I haven't tested).
Topic Starter
peppy
Generally vorbis is synonymic with ogg, though.
pishifat
since nobody's done it yet, here's wordings i'd use (they replace similar rules on current rc):

- Active hit sounds must use the `.wav` or `.ogg` file formats. `.ogg` files must use a bit rate of 128kbps or higher. `.mp3` files have slight delays, and therefore are reserved only for longer passive hit sounds, such as ambient noises.
- Applause files and other passive hit sounds must use the `.mp3` or `.ogg` file formats. Applause files usually have long durations and `.wav` files are unnecessarily large in comparison.

second one assumes .ogg is fine for applause files, is that true?
Topic Starter
peppy
128kbps or lower? did you mean higher?
pishifat
UHyesfixed
Topic Starter
peppy
The second case could probably be reworded to "Applause (or other non-rhythmical sound effects)..."
pishifat
ranking criteria uses "passive hit sounds" as the term for those sound effects, but yeah added
Topic Starter
peppy
looks good :thumbsup:
show more