forum

Osu! on the nintendo switch?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Klydefiss
I'm wondering if there was a way to theoretically make a implementation of osu! on the nintendo switch via porting or something like that. Maybe there could be a way to make use of the touch screen feature. I mean let's be honest here, no one on earth, will going to use a controller to play this game. I know that this would only work well if the switch was in handheld mode (without the joy-cons and only the screen), but you could play osu! on the go ANYWHERE. Heck you could even buy a third party stylus for it (Yes those do exist), but you could also make use of the dock station as well. Nintendo already has keyboard support on the switch, maybe Nintendo could make Drawing Tablets compatible with the switch's dock. That way, you could have the switch docked to your monitor or tv and still have the full capabilities of osu! but on a switch.

Now I'll address some possible issues with and try to come up with some solutions:

1) Multiplayer -
Nintendo will probably make use of it's online service (Switch Online) for this one.

2) Downloading beatmaps -
Peppy could design a way to download beatmaps through the game itself and not the browser, because the switch doesn't one. Something interesting to note is that it was never said that the switch won't ever get a browser, so if the game were to release after the switch gets a browser, they could implement osu!direct in some sort of way. Other than that, I'm thinking there can be a search catalog in-game where you can look up beatmaps download them from there.

3) osu!supporter benefits on the Switch -
osu!direct in this case may not provide an in-game way of downloading beatmaps as mentioned earlier due to the lack of a browser, but you could have direct downloads have faster download speeds. You could also have beatmaps automatically be transferred from your PC to your switch if you have supporter. Add in all the other benefits and you have yourself extra profit. Now you can gain more exposure by spreading your fanbase onto the switch, that way, more people buy supporter which in turn makes osu! more money.

4) Stability - Will it run well on the switch? Well ports require a re-workaround of a game for it to work on other devices it originally wasn't meant for. I'm sure there's a way to do it, many PC games get ported to consoles all the time. (In fact, the same is happening with FNaF as we speak.)

Welp those were the only possible, problems I could think of, and with that I want to ask what do you guys think of this? Could it work or have I completely wasted my time ranting about this? Did I miss anything, any details or something?
FinestBoi
nah bullcrap
Topic Starter
Klydefiss

FinestBoi wrote:

nah bullcrap

That's not a vivid response Finest
abraker
Topic Starter
Klydefiss

abraker wrote:

NANI!?!?!??!