forum

[Proposal] Make metadata source rules clearer

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
roufou
I'm opening a thread due to a bit of a concern I have and to express my opinion on a subject regarding the source field of maps.

I'm not good at writing rules so I would prefer it if someone did it for me so perhaps I could add it to the OP? I thought it'd be fine to just start the discussion without coming with a clear rule right away.

Basically I don't think any map has been ranked with this but it will probably become an upcoming concern, as the rules aren't entirely clear about what to do in this case. The problem I have is that it doesn't really mention what source to pick if the song has multiple sources. I noticed a recent featured artist map which I think is going for rank having "osu!" as the source of the map, however in my opinion this would be incorrect. The song is from BMS initially and was not made specifically for osu! or submitted to osu! specifically. I think personally it'd make sense to chose the first source of the song, or maybe specifying that which source you chose is up to the mapper as long as other sources are added to the tags.

I think that should be all I have to say on the issue, all I'd really like is the rule to be more clear on what you do... Though personally I find it quite odd to use osu! as a source for a song that wasn't initially submitted for osu!.
Nao Tomori
well the song is licensed for use in osu! so putting it as source isn't explicitly wrong. i do agree that putting other game appearances in tags would be good
Aiseca
Yeah, this might be an impending pain in the future.

Although using Osu! as a source on those songs that were made by the featured artists might be a timesaver in terms of looking for some solid looking source, the songs (especially the well known ones on other rhythm games or media), putting Osu! alone as source might be off putting when it terms to where it really is known (on other medium besides it).

Nao Tomori wrote:

well the song is licensed for use in osu! so putting it as source isn't explicitly wrong.

Yeah, it is licensed for use in Osu!, but not specifically tailored for Osu! They did not made those songs [unless mentioned] for Osu so making it as a source alone is a bit wonky along the sides unlike BMS and other rhythm games (Dynamix and Cytus) which has artists making songs specifically for the said games.

Like Nao said, it's good if the song was also sourced on their respective games or mediums.
clayton
I think it's sort of a special unspoken rule that FA songs have osu! as the source (regardless of whether or not it was actually made for osu!). might be worth documenting that somewhere, because it's been effective since the FA program began

definitely add the other games to the tags like Nao says if it'd help people find the map
Serizawa Haruki
Well, the RC does say this:
"You must use the Source field if the song comes from or is directly tied to another media such as a video game, movie, series, etc. Website or album names are not an acceptable Source. If the song was featured or tied to a media after it was released, the source field is optional."

I personally think using the first source where it was used would be the most reasonable solution, but if we want to let the mapper decide which source he wants to use, adding the other sources to the tags would be okay too as mentioned above.
pishifat
clarified that any valid source can be used if there's moer than one, and that osu! can be used as source for fa songs: https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2156
pishifat
merged