forum

Grid Reference Lines

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
DFLT
In the editor, I feel that every fifth vertical and horizontal line should be either slightly bolder or a different color/shade to assist in giving the mapper distance references for creating more accurate placements (when accentuating the music and not using distance snap) and for sliders. I often find myself trying to count lines on grid level 4, just because it takes slightly less effort than looking at coordinates and doing the math. Sometimes this can be kinda frustrating, there may be some feature or technique I'm not aware of though since I can't seem to find any complaints about this.

I used to be obsessed with a type of puzzle called a nonogram, it involves and grid and lots of counting. To make it easier there are always reference lines, and let me tell you, the level of convenience is extremely high :]
Here's an example

Edit

1.0 A grid with bold lines to show reference of distance, making it easy enough to count without even trying, and without having to avert my eyes to look at coordinates (helpful when doing non-distance snap stuff, such as gaps or closer notes to accentuate the music, plus other stuff)

1.1 The above, and the amount of thinner lines between bold lines could either be 4 for the convenience of counting by 5's since everyone over 4 years old can do that easily, OR it could be decided by the amount of beats per measure (beat snap divisor) so, for example, 1/4 timing would have every 4th line bold

1.2 The above, plus a custom rendered grid based on distance snap so that each gap between lines represents the correct spacing for 1 unit based on the beat divisor.

1.3 The above, but with the ability to toggle a grid that sticks a center point to the most recent circle, or slider anchor, and turns as you move the cursor around, this giving you a grid where you can conveniently tell how far a gap should be or how long a slider should be without having to avert your eyes to look up at the timeline, also very helpful when using 1/8 timing. Also a button that could lock the grid in place where it's currently at could be a pretty cool idea.

I tried pointing out some specific uses of these features, though I'm sure there are many uses that I failed to think of, and while there are many reasons you can shoot these ideas down saying "you can just do this instead", this request is about CONVENIENCE, not about the capability to do something which is already capable.

A lot of idea's are getting thrown around here when it was originally just 1 :S They're all interesting at the least, though it's not up to me to decide if they're worth implementing
those
I think the grid should be gotten rid of, entirely. You really don't need more than an x and y-axis, since you can do everything with reflection, rotation, and scaling.

This would also reduce not as popular mapping techniques like rectangular mapping.
Kurokami
I'm always counting the lines and place the notes equal. Or at least trying to place them. ._. I think the grid is useful for new mappers, so get rid of it a bit too much. o.o
Soaprman

DFLT wrote:

I often find myself trying to count lines on grid level 4
I don't see why anyone would want to do this... it's frustrating at best and outright painful to the eyes at worst. Count on a lesser grid and only use grid 4 for fine-tuning. For most purposes, grid 4 is roughly the same as having no grid at all.

those wrote:

I think the grid should be gotten rid of, entirely. You really don't need more than an x and y-axis, since you can do everything with reflection, rotation, and scaling.

This would also reduce not as popular mapping techniques like rectangular mapping.
This is only really practical for symmetry mapping. Not all of us prefer mapping that way... and hey, the grid can already be effectively turned off with the grid snap button anyway. And I kind of like the occasional rectangular map (as shitty as they sometimes can be)...

edit: Forgot to comment on the actual feature request! It sounds like a great idea to me. Would be easier than counting from the center lines or the edges of the grid.
those

Soaprman wrote:

This is only really practical for symmetry mapping.
Of course it isn't. In fact, it is the presence of grid lines that promotes symmetrical mapping.
The two most basic tools are distance snapping, and eyeballing. After that, you use reflection, rotation, and scaling.
Soaprman
You're totally right that anything can be done without the grid. I wasn't arguing with that point in particular and I should have worded my post better. I'm focusing on whether it's easier or faster to do those things without the grid, and I guess the symmetry mapping comment is what I first thought of.

The main thing I'm thinking of is aligning objects with other objects in a straight line, which is something I like to do often. It can be done without a grid by moving my hand slowly and keeping an eye on the coordinates in the corner. But I don't want to have to do it that way when I can do it so much faster with grid snapping.

The grid isn't necessary but it's a big enough timesaver that it shouldn't be removed.

those wrote:

In fact, it is the presence of grid lines that promotes symmetrical mapping.
You're right about this too, and I have no beef with symmetrical mapping. I just prefer to map a different way is all. :P
those

Soaprman wrote:

The main thing I'm thinking of is aligning objects with other objects in a straight line
If it's a multiple of 45 degrees, holding shift when you have both grid and distance snap on will ensure that:

Shown by that white line between (1,2).
Hanyuu
You can select a circle and in the top right of the screen you will see the numbers of the coordinates of the circle.. so if circle 1 is y=200 height and you want to make circle 2 on the same height you can check this very quick and easy this way ^^ without counting the grid. It also shows the distance from your current circle to the next and previous circle. It is also good to check for things that way if it is not straight vertical or horizontal. I think this is the best solution for you because on grid level most precise there are way too many lines to count still and alot of boxes then, still very hard to see maybe. But you can work easy that way.
Kurokami

Hanyuu wrote:

You can select a circle and in the top right of the screen you will see the numbers of the coordinates of the circle.. so if circle 1 is y=200 height and you want to make circle 2 on the same height you can check this very quick and easy this way ^^ without counting the grid. It also shows the distance from your current circle to the next and previous circle. It is also good to check for things that way if it is not straight vertical or horizontal. I think this is the best solution for you because on grid level most precise there are way too many lines to count still and alot of boxes then, still very hard to see maybe. But you can work easy that way.
If you mapping vertically and horizontally, yes. But in any other way, no. Sometimes you need to use a slider to place the notes in one line.
Hanyuu

Kurokami wrote:

Hanyuu wrote:

If you mapping vertically and horizontally, yes. But in any other way, no. Sometimes you need to use a slider to place the notes in one line.

Yes that is why i also said about the distance spacing information. There are many ways to do that like you said with a slider.. or you can just put it in grid and use rotate. Any ways work
LKs
Well a experienced mapper won't have such problem, they have been so familiar with the editor so they maybe don't need any reference. So the most valid method is to practise more

Besides, My suggestion is checking the top right of the screen for numbers, as hanyuu said. Btw if counting grid level 4 is too hard, then use level 3.
Kurokami
I'm placing with grid level 3 and correcting with level 4. Oh, and sometimes counting the lines. xd I'm not so familiar with the editor since I'm just waiting with my first beatmap to be bubbled, but I already know some trick. :3
those

Kurokami wrote:

Ever heard of rotation?
Kurokami

those wrote:

Kurokami wrote:

Ever heard of rotation?
Ever tried to rotate one note?

EDIT: And place like below?
Shohei Ohtani
Yes.

But in an actual post, the funny thing is, I generally don't map with grid snap, and the only time I use grid snap is when I want something directly on the x or y axis :>

but lol this is so off topic. Your idea is pretty cool, though :>.
those

Kurokami wrote:

Ever tried to rotate one note?

EDIT: And place like below?
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
Kurokami

those wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
If you are trying to place the notes like me on my pic, the rotation will never help. Of course, my picture was not the best example. If you are trying to map a star pattern without the grid, it will looks bad. But nvm, I'm just trying to point out, grid is useful sometimes.
Sakura
Yeah grid is useful, but i dont see why you would rotate notes when you can just ctrl+c > ctrl+v > flip
theowest
Would be nice to have some guidelines to guide your mapping.

But this sounds cool too. Maybe it should adapt to the distance snap? Higher distance snap will increase the distance between bold lines and vice versa.
Topic Starter
DFLT

theowest wrote:

Would be nice to have some guidelines to guide your mapping.

But this sounds cool too. Maybe it should adapt to the distance snap? Higher distance snap will increase the distance between bold lines and vice versa.
so the grid level would be determined by the distance snap in that case?
Meaning there would be the standard levels and a specific rendered level where each bold line would represent the distance equivalent of a quarter note perhaps? That would work best of course if the amount of lines in between was based upon the beat divisor :O
So if it was set to 1/4, then every 4th line would be bold
show more