forum

[Proposal] Applause File Rules/Guidelines

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Seto Kousuke
Currently, there is nothing on entire Ranking Criteria that talks about the ''Applause'' file (the file plays on ranking screen right after you finish playing a map), which means that there is no rules/guidelines at all about it's usage, so I propose the following additions for rules and guidelines about it on the General Audio section:

Possible rule wrote:

Applause files must use the mp3 file format. Applause files usually have long durations and .wav files have unecessarily big filesizes when compared to .mp3
Example: If we compare the Applause file from This map with This other map, you will notice that the first map has a .wav applause with 14 seconds duration and 2,42 MB of filesize which is half of the mp3 of the song that has 3 minutes lenght. While the other map has a .mp3 applause with 32 seconds duration and only 754 KB of filesize.

Possible Guideline wrote:

Applause files should be tastefully done. They can not be excessively long and should not sound poor at the ranking screen. Poor usage includes: Audibly overlaying in the outro of the song mp3 in an unpleasant way, or abruptly cutting in or out.
I don't really have an example of this on the ranked section, but would be good to have something that could address this to avoid it since the concern is pretty straightfoward. For example: literal applause or similar congratulatory sfx overlaying the end of a song would be acceptable. A cut of a song overlaying the map's song would be strange and not a good addition to the experience.

-

Those are my thoughts, any additional input or correction would be great :)
Dialect
we do need rules for the applause file tbh
Yahuri
what about other skinned/storyboarded audio files? even though lots of them may be short, it would make sense to include them as well for the exceptions. for example, could change the proposed rule to "any audio file which is not a hitsound exceeding [filesize] must be converted to .mp3"

guideline looks good, but again could include what i've mentioned above
Trynna
makes sense, mp3 kinda does it's job on saving space sucessfully
Topic Starter
Seto Kousuke

Yahuri wrote:

what about other skinned/storyboarded audio files? even though lots of them may be short, it would make sense to include them as well for the exceptions. for example, could change the proposed rule to "any audio file which is not a hitsound exceeding [filesize] must be converted to .mp3"
I mentioned primarily the Applause because that's something i regularly use and understand more about, I don't really know much about other aspects of skinning to know what files could benefit from this(maybe section fail/pass, or the fail sound follow a similar logic), so if anyone who knows more about that could give ideas that could work i can add them into the initial post o: About having a set value for filesize limitation wouldn't be good cause different files have different utilities/sizes so idk if that's optimal
tatatat
I've exclusively used .wav files for applause files because thats what the ranking criteria and the section on skinning on the wiki told me to do... they get to be quite big.

Perhaps you could be less specific, and say all non-hitsound/storyboard sounds should be .mp3 to save file size?
pishifat
added the rule about filetype in https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2156

re: pause-loop, i dont think looping files work well for mp3, something about delays? idk, someone correct me

re: guideline, if nobody is doing it badly (or that stuff isnt reaching ranked), it doesnt need rc mentioning. i also think the guideline is a bit too general -- like it's saying to use common sense and figure out if the applause is good
pishifat
merged