forum

Yo

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
any old guards still around? happy new years.
johnmedina999
It's not "new years", by the way. It's "new year", as in "happy new year". I forgive you, though, because that's a common mistake. I think you maybe meant to say "happy new year's day" but forgot the "day" bit; "new year's day" works as well (note the apostrophe).
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
it's a different "new year" experience for each person, hence happy new years. Thanks.
johnmedina999
Unless you're using a different calendar, such as a lunar calendar or maybe a calendar you yourself defined (which would be impressive), and unless you know that the people you are talking to are also using non-Gregorian calendars, then there really is only one year that is starting today. If you want to incorporate people's experiences into the mix, then I suggest the following sentence: "I hope each one of you have a great experience in the new year." Note the lack of plurality on "year".

Also, you're totally welcome. I'd be happy to correct your mistakes anytime.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
Brevity has value. Thanks.
Westonini
Or what if it's just a lazy person's way of saying "Happy New Year" but since it's plural it indicates that it's also for the following years so they don't have to type it again next year.

Ok that was obviously not the intention but I'm a lazy dude and I like that idea better.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
You too thanks.
johnmedina999

Westonini wrote:

Or what if it's just a lazy person's way of saying "Happy New Year" but since it's plural it indicates that it's also for the following years so they don't have to type it again next year.
Ah, I see! That means that we won't be seeing riince again next year, and he won't use this phrase anymore. I can live with that.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Brevity has value. Thanks.
I totally agree. "Happy new year" is actually shorter than "happy new years", dontcha know. By your own logic, you used an inefficient (and might I add incorrect) phrase instead of cutting it one character shorter and therefore making it more valuable (and infinitely more correct). That's cool.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
johnmedina999
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
Westonini
That pic in your signature gave me a good laugh.
Aiseca

Westonini wrote:

That pic in your signature gave me a good laugh.

That's harsh bruh~
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
yes that sig is from my meme contest that railey won the prize was a place in my sig
contest was held well before you made your account
or anyone else in this thread
Westonini
Huh, neat.
abraker
ah, ye olden tales
Serraionga
yes, those fabled duck tales

ColdTooth
wait who are y-

hi
Topic Starter