forum

How to deal with lack of confidence?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
Over time if I don't get FCs I lose confidence in my ability to do anything. Right now I'm afraid to play songs I have high accuracy on because I don't want to fail FCing them.

When I do well on a song but don't FC it (like 1 miss) I don't want to do it again because I feel like I know I will fail.

Over the past week or so I have improved my aim a lot and have gotten better but I somehow feel like I'm stuck regardless of the evidence of my jumps and speed being much better.

Sometimes when I play osu! I start to see near FCs as a challenge but these days they just tilt me for some reason and make me not want to play. I wish I could get out of this mindset.

Should I just go for FC on easier stuff to build my confidence or ride out the feelsbad train?
Kuroni
Grind tv sized maps plz
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

blackmen2x wrote:

Grind tv sized maps plz

I think I may be resorting to this soon.
Darud3

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Over time if I don't get FCs I lose confidence in my ability to do anything. Right now I'm afraid to play songs I have high accuracy on because I don't want to fail FCing them.

When I do well on a song but don't FC it (like 1 miss) I don't want to do it again because I feel like I know I will fail.

Over the past week or so I have improved my aim a lot and have gotten better but I somehow feel like I'm stuck regardless of the evidence of my jumps and speed being much better.

Sometimes when I play osu! I start to see near FCs as a challenge but these days they just tilt me for some reason and make me not want to play. I wish I could get out of this mindset.

Should I just go for FC on easier stuff to build my confidence or ride out the feelsbad train?

There's only one thing that might be more satisfying than FCing maps and that's just barely passing super hard maps. It sounds really dumb but try and play harder maps, try and break into 7*, even if you can only barely pass a few ones here and there. Maps you can FC and have to work a bit to FC are fun, and really hard maps are fun. The middle ground, personally, is fairly boring for me. Mix it up and just focus on having fun instead of the grind. It also might good to take a week or so rest from osu to let yourself sorta mentally and physically reset. Makes a big difference.
Juuuuuuuuul
try playing new stuff every days (check qualified maps daily), or just go in multi to have fun with friends.
Deva
What I usually do is pick a 0.5* range of maps that has upper limit kind of out of my comfort zone and lower limit deep into my comfort zone. Press F2 and play whatever I get.

That approach is good because you will be playing (and hopefully FCing) easier maps while you'll be getting better at harder ones and over time you will start FCing harder ones too.

Another thing you could do is just plain consistency training. Use the same filter from above and add 5+ mins to it. Don't retry unless absolutely necessary (It's never absolutely necessary to retry, that's the point) and instead of trying to FC make your goal having a combo as long as possible and missing as little as possible.

Over time you will get super consistent with easier parts of maps and won't ever miss on them which will give you more brain resources to focus on harder stuff like streams or really hard jumps or difficult patterns.

The point of all this is that if you are consistent enough your skills won't care if you have enough confidence to FC, it will just happen. And when it starts just happening a lot you will gain more confidence. More confidence will equal more FC's and so on. It's a chain reaction and as long as you keep putting in effort it will only get better.

tl;dr play the fuck more
dung eater
Just play and don't worry about how you think people see you. Accept you make mistakes and have trouble focusing for extended periods (easier/harder depending on map) like everyone else. You can get better. Sleep, eat and do something sweaty a few times a week.
im flat
get confidence irl first
Tad Fibonacci
IMO you'll just need to stop caring. I always start to FC maps that are 1 miss away after rage quitting and ignoring them for a while, playing other maps and then coming back.
You just need to care less about your performance and just try to enjoy the game.
UnnamedBeast
mode=osu unplayed=
Nourios

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Fact: playing easier maps won't make you more confident on harder maps.
lewski

Nourios wrote:

Fact: playing easier maps won't make you more confident on harder maps.

Odd assertion, considering that confidence is quite a personal thing. It's definitely possible to build confidence (and consistency) by FCing maps below your usual difficulty level.