forum

PP System Working Incorrectly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
aj_eaves
Why is my PP working weirdly?
I've just played a bunch of maps, and I've had gains from about 10 to 35 PP. All in all, it displays as about 100 PP or so gained, estimate. Before this session, I was on 360. Now I am on 400 PP.

This doesn't add up though.

There was not much weight on my PP gain. I literally got 35 and 36 PP this session with almost no weight on either of them. It should be 70 PP gained. Why is it only 40? Am I missing something in how PP works? Does it change my PP gain for every single map?

Thank you in advance.
Full Tablet
When you beat your previous best performance plays, they lose weight.
FelissieFenessa
Only your best plays(judged by game system) count for full PP gain. Other plays will affect total PP less as they lose weight(% of PP that you will gain from that play)
Bobbias
The system doesn't just blindly add up all your plays. First, it ranks each play from best to worst. Then, it starts at your best play, which is worth 100% of it's PP value. Every play after that is worth less. So, a small example:

Value = The PP value of the score
Scale factor = osu reducing the score for plays below your top play
Scaled score = how much PP that score is actually worth after osu's calculation
Total PP = a running total as we move down the list. When we reach the bottom of the list, this will be the actual PP that would show up on the account of this person.

Score Rank Value Scale factor Scaled Score Total PP
1 200 100% (200*1.0) = 200 200
2 186 95% (186*0.95) = 177 377
3 179 90% (179*0.90) = 161 538
4 177 85% (177*0.85) = 150 688
5 150 81% (150*0.81) = 121 809

So with these 5 scores, instead of having 892 PP, the player will only have 809. And that scale factor keeps getting smaller. Once you have 100 plays in this list, the worst play would only be worth 0.5% of it's Value.

Basically, the more you play, the less each score ends up being worth most of the time. You will stop gaining ranks unless you get better and start either improving the scores you have in your top scores list, or making new top scores on different songs.
Topic Starter
aj_eaves

Bobbias wrote:

The system doesn't just blindly add up all your plays. First, it ranks each play from best to worst. Then, it starts at your best play, which is worth 100% of it's PP value. Every play after that is worth less.

Your explanation was fantastic. Thanks a lot!
Now I know what to get doing.
Bobbias
No problem. The game doesn't do a good job of explaining this, and the new profile pages don't even list the weighted PP value any more, which is really annoying.