forum

[resolved] I suddenly have a weird offset?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zenobias
Hi everyone,

I just started my game for a short round of osu! but found myself unable to hit the notes at the right time. I usually play only a select few beatmaps during any given period of time because I keep trying to get better at those maps that I have already played. As such, I am familiar with the maps that I tried to clear just now. However, what the game tells me to do (judging by the approach circles) and the clicking sounds I hear as feedback of my tapping, doesn't match up with what I think would be correct at all. It's like there's suddenly some weird offset that shouldn't be there. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. It just feels plain weird and I can't quite put my finger on the problem. I am aware that this is really vague and I might just be crazy, but yesterday night, everything felt just fine. Really, I only posted this to check if anyone else is currently having an experience similar to mine. Guess I'll check back again tomorrow.

My global offset setting is at 0 ms (as it has always been). So that's not the problem...

osu! version: Stable 20181118.3 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu

Zenobias wrote:

My global offset setting is at 0 ms (as it has always been). So that's not the problem...

Did you actually check? or are you just assuming?

Idk how many times I've been told "It's not my offset because I never changed it"
just for them to come back and say "wtf why was it set to 300"

Please just double check if you haven't.
Juuuuuuuuul
i got this issue two times.
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/778600
i still don't know what was the cause.
Death

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

i got this issue two times.
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/778600
i still don't know what was the cause.
You didn't even wait for the person to reply as to whether or not their universal offset is actually set to 0. That is usually the cause of issues, and people overlook it (even if they believe their settings are correct). You seem to have received a lot of replies in the thread you linked, and your last post even already says what I would have said.

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

Maybe a hardware issue with my... audio drivers, idk.
Maybe try disabling any audio enhancements that you may have on through Windows or any dedicated software that you are using for your output device. Or maybe just try using a different audio output device altogether to see if that makes a difference.
Topic Starter
Zenobias

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Zenobias wrote:

Did you actually check? or are you just assuming?

Idk how many times I've been told "It's not my offset because I never changed it"
just for them to come back and say "wtf why was it set to 300"

Please just double check if you haven't.

Uhhh, I don't know what kind of people you usually have to deal with, but I don't claim stuff before I double-checked it. And I just checked once more. Yes, my global offset is at 0 ms. I wouldn't just assume something and sell it as a fact.

Death wrote:

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

Maybe a hardware issue with my... audio drivers, idk.
Maybe try disabling any audio enhancements that you may have on through Windows or any dedicated software that you are using for your output device. Or maybe just try using a different audio output device altogether to see if that makes a difference.

Sounds like a really good suggestion to me! I actually installed dedicated software for my new headset just three days ago. No audio enhancements are active at the moment. Now that you mention it, that software I installed on Sunday is not running in the background anymore. I will check some of the aspects you mentioned and update the thread afterwards. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I don't know if testing stuff out helped me or just confused me even more. Following the other thread mentioned here, I tried running the "repair osu!" shortcut from the game folder, told the program to do a repair (which basically did nothing, judging by the message output) and played two 4 star beatmaps. The first one went surprisingly well. It felt good to play and the time deviation from my clicks resulted in a nicely centered distribution. Then I tried another one and made it through roughly 3/4 of the beatmap with over 97% accuracy (which is amazing to me, since my current best is only 92%). This would likely have been a new highscore for me, if it wasn't for the heavy stuttering that suddenly occurred afterwards. Although the stuttering itself only kept on for like 1.5 seconds, what happened after that felt completely out of my control. My key inputs were sporadically interrupted for no reason, I mistimed on almost every note and failed the beatmap less than 10 seconds after that.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. At least I know it's not purely placebo, I guess???
Death
It kind of sounds like something could be wrong with your audio drivers. Perhaps you should try reinstalling them. Driver problems can definitely cause weird stuttering and issues like what you described.

Could also be due to some other application that happened to start running/doing a lot of random stuff in the background while you were in the middle of the map.
Topic Starter
Zenobias
Just returned after being away for three days and played a long round of osu! because I felt like it. I didn't face any of the aforementioned problems this time.

Death wrote:

Could also be due to some other application that happened to start running/doing a lot of random stuff in the background while you were in the middle of the map.

I don't know about that, but it's definitely a possibility. I don't have that many user-installed applications running in the background, so it would have had to be some Windows process. Either way, I'll keep in touch and follow more of your suggestions if I notice anything strange again. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I've come to realize that this problem must have been caused by a misconfiguration in Windows. The reason that this issue "fixed itself" is because I unplugged my USB-to-wireless transmitter when I was cleaning up today and plugged it into a different USB port. Windows 10 detected it as a new device for some reason... I can see that this is the case by the device controller names ("2- Arctis 7 Chat" and "2- Arctis 7 Game").