forum

Report minor fixes here!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
This is the place for bringing up issues in the Ranking Criteria that wouldn't support their own thread but still need fixing. Examples include typos, terminology consistency, slight rewording for readability, etc.

Basically post anything here that doesn't add/remove/change rules or guidelines.
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet

rc wrote:

When skinning gameplay elements, complete sets of elements need to be skinned in order to avoid conflicts between user-specific and beatmap-specific skins. A reference for this can be found on the Skin Set List. When skinning an element that is marked as optional, you need to include all the required elements of the respective set, but you are free to skip other optional elements unless they are grouped with the element you are skinning. However, if a required skin element in a set would be unused, it is not necessary to include.
it's currently considered ok to force default skin as a substitute for completing the skin set, current wording doesn't make that clear.
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet

rc wrote:

The audio file of a song should not be artificially extended in order to meet a time limitation in the beatmapset section of this criteria. This can include (but is not limited to) looping sections of the audio file, lowering the BPM of the song or section of the song, or adding small amounts of music to the song without incorporating it throughout the entire song. This does not apply to song compilations or audio files less than the minimum rankable beatmapset length.
there's been some confusion about if these mp3's are 100% illegal or if they are still legal as long as people map the spreads for the non-extended versions. the latter is the intention, but should probably be made more explicit.

update wrote:

The audio file of a song should not be artificially extended in order to meet a time limitation in the beatmapset section of this criteria. This can include (but is not limited to) looping sections of the audio file, lowering the BPM of the song or section of the song, or adding small amounts of music to the song without incorporating it throughout the entire song. This does not apply to song compilations or audio files less than the minimum rankable beatmapset length. Audio files extended in such a way can still be ranked as long as the required difficulties for the song's original drain time are included.
compilation guideline should also have a similar thing explicitly stated:

similar update wrote:

Song compilations should incorporate 3 or more songs. Using only 2 songs in a compilation is a lackluster experience for players, and should be broken up into separate beatmapsets. Exceptions can be made for songs that were exclusively released together. Audio files containing only 2 songs can still be ranked as long as the required difficulties for the shortest song's original drain time are included.
realy0_

rc wrote:

Uninherited timing point: A point used to change a beatmap's BPM, offset, or time signature. Indicated by a red line in the editor and informally called a red line.

i would rename Uninherited timing point (red lines) into Herited timing point because it doesn't make sense to use the double negation to just say herited and it avoid confusion with how it's named in the editor (green lines are named inherited timing point so it makes sense to rename it herited timing point if we uncheck "inherit previous timing setting")

i'm not expert at fixing grammar but i think it makes more sense like that
Serizawa Haruki

realy0_ wrote:

rc wrote:

Uninherited timing point: A point used to change a beatmap's BPM, offset, or time signature. Indicated by a red line in the editor and informally called a red line.

i would rename Uninherited timing point (red lines) into Herited timing point because it doesn't make sense to use the double negation to just say herited and it avoid confusion with how it's named in the editor (green lines are named inherited timing point so it makes sense to rename it herited timing point if we uncheck "inherit previous timing setting")

i'm not expert at fixing grammar but i think it makes more sense like that
Uhm, sorry but "herited" is not an actual word. While I do agree that uninherited sounds a little weird, it's not a double negation. It's the negative form of inherited which comes from heritage. I don't even think this is something worth fixing because it's just another name for red line so it has no impact on maps and the comprehensibility of the RC. Most people say red line because it's simpler anyways.
clayton
This is a kinda nitpicky suggestion, but I think this part could be clarified more:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Mapsets must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds.

currently, it can be read in a few different ways. does every map of the mapset need 30 seconds minimum? do all of them combined need 30? does only one map of the set need 30?

I know the correct interpretation is the first one, but it's not made very clear.

my suggestion is:
Every difficulty of a beatmapset must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds.

or, replace "difficulty" for "beatmap", I can't really tell which term is preferred in the RC
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
@clayton "Beatmaps must have a minimum drain time of 30 seconds." seems to be the simplest solution.

also this reminds me that there are a metric fuckton of instances where the word "mapset" is used instead of "beatmapset" and they all need to be fixed, lol..

instances i've found so far
  1. entire metadata section
  2. entire taiko page
  3. entire mania page (but i guess this is low priority since they're rewriting everything rn?)
  4. entire coc
  5. entire timing /8 timesig page
  6. entire song content rules page
  7. "This skin set is not gameplay relevant. The respective icons can be left out even though they are listed as required if they are not present in any of the gamemodes of the mapset." from skin set list

or we could get rid of all the instances of beatmapset bc that word is icky
clayton
I've got a PR open for this one too, seems same as what you suggest https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/1905

edit: merged. I'll make a note to look into the wording
DeletedUser_259972
hi
some osu!mania stuff
i know the current one is temporary and new rc is about to come, temporary one should at least be cleaned up until the new one comes

Rules/General wrote:

osu!topus (AutoPlay) must be able to achieve the full score (1,000,000) in all diffifculties.

diffifculties lol

Rules/General wrote:

You can't have two notes in the same column that overlap each other, and there must always be a space between two notes in the same column.

isn't this just repeating itself? "You can't have two notes in the same column that overlap each other" is enough.

Rules/Timing wrote:

Use inherited timing sections and SV changes instead.

again, repeating itself. "Use inherited timing points (SV changes) instead" should be enough.
also, this rule uses the term "timing section", wouldn't using "timing points" be better?

i have tons of stuff more to say, but hopefully the new rc will fix them
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
timing section is the term used across the wiki, and it's used by the editor, tho points is the uh.. more noticeable term, to say the least.... /shrug
MBomb
Very nitpicky stuff (In osu!catch ranking criteria).

Your map must theoretically be possible to SS. This means it must be possible to catch absolutely all fruits, including droplets.
Due to the definitions of fruit and droplet in the ranking criteria, including a droplet as a fruit isn't correct, because a fruit is listed as "A large object represented by a hitcircle, slider head, tail or repeat.". It'd be better to word it as " This means it must be possible to catch absolutely all fruits, drops, and droplets." It's a little more long winded, but I couldn't really think of a shorter way to write it that doesn't lead to something being left out. (I also know that it's quite obvious what an SS means really, but if we're including an explanation I think it makes sense for it to be clarified properly.)

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. For cases where the two values are not equal, the Overall Difficulty must be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.
Similar thing here, "nor the amount of fruits a spinner has" goes against the definition of fruit, as bananas aren't listed under the fruit definition. Again, fairly obvious what is meant, but it's probably better to list as "nor the amount of bananas a spinner has", for the sake of definitions.

Use the same slider tick rate on every difficulty as it is a property of the music rather than the mapping. However, lower difficulties may use lower tick rates to reduce accuracy requirements for newer players, providing they still follow the rhythm of the song. Using high tick rates purely to increase score/combo/difficulty is senseless.
This being the only place in the general section which has the sentence carry on from the main part to the explanation seems really strange to me, and actually confused me a tiny bit when I was reading through until I realised. Maybe best to just make it "This is because it is a property of the music rather than the mapping.".
Xinnoh
A beatmapset's audio file must be no lower than 128kbps and no higher than 192kbps. Variable bit rate songs must average between that range.

imo this should be changed to a guideline where it must be followed unless there isn't a higher quality version of the song available
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet

Sinnoh wrote:

A beatmapset's audio file must be no lower than 128kbps and no higher than 192kbps. Variable bit rate songs must average between that range.

imo this should be changed to a guideline where it must be followed unless there isn't a higher quality version of the song available
should prob make a thread for this, since that'd be an actual change to rc
(i support it btw)
SparkNights
Seeing that so many mappers are ignorant of the setup "Sample match playback rate"(to raise perfect fifth in NC mod). I want to suggest this:
A beatmap containing pitched hitsounds must open "Sample match playback rate" Of course, it doesn't matter in maps without pitched hitsound

Pitched hitsounds means hitsounds with pitch, like piano sounds and etc. Whether they're raised by perfect fifth depends on whether this setup is ticked. If not, players, when playing maps with pitched hitsounds, will hear inconsonant sounds.
realy0_

Mcen314 wrote:

Seeing that so many mappers are ignorant of the setup "Sample match playback rate"(to raise perfect fifth in NC mod). I want to suggest this:
A beatmap containing pitched hitsounds must open "Sample match playback rate" Of course, it doesn't matter in maps without pitched hitsound

Pitched hitsounds means hitsounds with pitch, like piano sounds and etc. Whether they're raised by perfect fifth depends on whether this setup is ticked. If not, players, when playing maps with pitched hitsounds, will hear inconsonant sounds.

i really agree with this but need it's own thread
Xinnoh
For catch specific RC, I merged Standard mode's combo colour rules, but reworded them because combo colour hax does not exist in ctb

old
Avoid using combo colours with ~220 luminosity or higher. They create bright pulses during Kiai time which can be unpleasant to the eyes.
I worded this assuming you would use kiai time, but that's not always the case.

fixed
Avoid using combo colours with ~220 luminosity or higher if Kiai time is used. Light colours create bright pulses during Kiai time, which can be unpleasant to the eyes.

just an error on my part when adding things
ya i'll just merge this myself tbh
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
https://puu.sh/CRj9T/4c7ecb6baa.png that last "feat." should be written in the fancy way
clayton
https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2120 covers last post and a bit more
caps
the link to Modified Hepburn could be fixed. it currently links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization#Features_of_Hepburn_romanization which is now just https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization#Features

edit: done
quila
[deleted as part of purging my old post history]
show more