forum

[invalid] Cheaper name changes?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +16
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4745206
I've never understood why the namechange feature cost increases like it does, for every name change you make...

• First name change is FREE for supporters "Awesome, thank you!"
  • 2nd name change = $8 "Alright, cheaper than many other platforms"
  • 3rd name change = $16 "hmm, fair enough take my money"
  • 4th name change = $32 "hold up..."
  • 5th ... = $64 "What in the actual F***"
  • 6th+ =$100 "Who tf has the money to pay $100 to change a username?!"
I'm the kind of person who likes to change username and avatar all the time, I've never found a name or an avatar that just stuck with me, and I've also changed name a few times on osu!... But I'm at the point where my next name change will cost me $64... Like, why tho?

Why not just make the first name change free, and then keep all further name changes to something like $10-15?
Is it really such a big problem, if people change their name on osu! all the time? :(
Death
https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Help_Centre#name-changes
However, each change will become progressively more expensive - the second will cost $8 USD, the third $16 USD, and so on, up to a cap of $100 USD. We do this to prevent people from abusing the system to change their names in rapid succession.

It was done intentionally this way. It gets confusing, especially when leaderboards/scoreboards have a large impact on the game. I think it's a good incentive to really think about what you are changing your name to and whether or not it's worth it to be known by that for whatever period of time you decide to keep it.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4745206
I understand that it's done intentionally, but I just don't get why it's such a big problem when people change their usernames a lot.
The good players who care about the leaderboards, and already are high up on the leaderboards on a lot of beatmaps, or global/country ranking, probably won't change their name that often anyway.
Edgar_Figaro
I mean I’ve seen top players change their names all the time.

Personally I dislike it when people name change as it’s confusing. I see people on my friends list and go “who the heck is this” it’s at least nice that new website has that “formerly known as” yet still it can be irritating.
Lyawi

Your Aim Zogs wrote:

Why not just make the first name change free, and then keep all further name changes to something like $10-15?
Is it really such a big problem, if people change their name on osu! all the time? :(

I get your point and I agree with you

I mean I don't like it too if people change their name that often (if that would be even the case?), but it's their decision and 64-100$ is way too much.
mulraf
True, i get the increasing cost but $100 wtf?!
Uta
True, it's done intentionally. Osu isn't like other game when you can just change name after a game and be done again after. Osu is a community-based rhythm game where everything is based on improving and see-ing someone else improve. Your username is important because it's YOUR identity in this game and community. You'll get attached to that username later (if you dont change it often ^^').

For example what if you keep changing name irl? ~I think~ it'll be the same in osu, you will lose your important identity.
Nathanael
I doubt that the prices will be changed.
Katharsis
I would prefer a second option to change his name. We know that the first name can be changed for free if you have supporter and maybe you could make a system that if your supporting osu! for a half year that you can change your name for the 2nd time and after 1 year for the 3rd time and so on...

This is would be my solution :)