forum

[Archived] Buggy/Invisible sliders

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
I use windows xp to play osu and half of the time the sliders are literally buggy in graphics or mostly they just don't show at all... yeah i know i use windows xp but cmon peppy.

osu! version: Stable 20181101.2 (latest)
Anemic Witch
Stop using OS that was released ~17 years ago.
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
so what's the problem again with the exception of me using windows xp?
Anemic Witch
It is the problem. It might not support libraries that osu uses for drawing sliders.
If you insist on playing on Windows XP you should search for stable fallback version, but your scores won't submit.
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
That's not it. Sliders are very inconsistent. I can get perfectly fine sliders one map, and it can go from all white to invisible any time, and it's different every time I reboot the game. It's very hard to determine the problem for me, as there are no seemingly consistent error within the game...
Death
Have you at least restarted your computer? What GPU do you have and have you tried completely clean reinstalling its drivers? Try using a different skin. Try enabling "Compatibility mode" in-game. Try holding shift while starting the game until a repair window pops up and hit the "repair osu!" button.

One a sidenote, XP isn't technically supported. As Anemic Witch said, it is a 17 year old OS and I'd say it's definitely about time to upgrade (especially if you ever want to play nearly any other modern game)... With that said, some people are still able to run the game just fine on XP and others seem to have more issues that I can count, most likely due to hardware but you never know.

also, "cmon Microsoft"
Elanie
Windows XP is outdated, you will need a later version, (7 and above) in order for better rendering of objects.

EDIT: Vista SP2 confirmed not working anymore, tested on VM and 2014 client is latest that can run on Vista SP2.
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
Oh about that, skins doesn't matter, no computer restarting have any effect. I don't know what GPU is though, so that could be the point. I and when I press compatability mode, the game crashes, and it says It's lacking some graphic card or graphic coding or something, and from that point on i can't start the game. (reinstalled but doesn't change the fact that sliders are bs) that's probably the reason, but I do play osu on windows 10 in school, so I was just curious.
Reserve
GPU is your graphics card, so its probably too bad to play osu or XP is making it not work
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
but the thing is why does it work perfectly fine sometimes?
Death
Because that's how computers work sometimes, hardware and software are not infallible.

Your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) could be old or it could just be having some weird issues, that's why I suggested clean reinstalling its drivers. Considering you received an error message when you tried to enable compatibility mode (about graphics!!), you should probably be even more keen on that idea.

In order to find your GPU you'll need to open your Device Manager through the Control Panel and expand the Display Adapter dropdown. You'll probably have one item listed and I'm willing to bet it is going to be something Intel related (correct me if it's not). If it is, search for it on this page and download and install the most recent XP drivers (make sure they are for XP and not some other OS), then restart again. Normally I'd suggest using Display Driver Uninstaller first, but I've never seen it used on XP (even though it says it is supported).
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
I tried to install the driver for XP, and i got this message.

Error
This Computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.
:(

how old is my computer dammit
Elanie

Psychicbagel wrote:

I tried to install the driver for XP, and i got this message.

Error
This Computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.
:(

how old is my computer dammit

Get a new computer, with Windows 7 and above (Windows 10 guaranteed to be included). osu! only installs / runs smoothly on Windows 7 and above with no hassle.
Krepre
I don't really recommend Windows 7 anymore.

Support for it is going to be dropped in January 2020, and when you upgrade to Windows 7 then use it for the 1 year then the support ends you'll have to reinstall most the drivers and applications when you upgrade to Windows 10 or 8, which is time consuming.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419
Elanie

Krepre wrote:

I don't really recommend Windows 7 anymore.

Support for it is going to be dropped in January 2020, and when you upgrade to Windows 7 then use it for the 1 year then the support ends you'll have to reinstall most the drivers and applications when you upgrade to Windows 10 or 8, which is time consuming.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419

Yes, that is true, but if you buy a brand-new PC, Windows 10 is guaranteed to be pre-installed, so nothing much of hassle. Also, Windows 7 and 8(.1) copies are no longer being sold by Microsoft/preinstalled in new PCs officially as of October 2016, so yeah.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-discontinue-windows-7-8-1-on-new-pcs-in-one-year/
Topic Starter
Psychicbagel
Yes, when I play at school computer, windows 10, it works perfectly fine. Right now I'm resorting to switching to different skins I have until I get the quality slider. I get the retarded sliders about half/one third of the time I play.

Also sometimes when I open Osu it says I have touched beatmap files and that I shouldn't do that, when I never did. Is that connected to the problem in any way?