forum

[Archived] Mania notes show up multiple times on screen

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
markx11
Problem details:
When playing osu mania all the notes show up multiple times.
I have a 1440p 144hz screen and i also have the issue on my 1080p 60hz laptop screen.
I have tried enabling and disabling g-syn, v-syn both in graphics card settings and in osu settings.
When i change the refresh rate of my monitor (as seen in the photos) it has effect.
When increasing the refresh rate the amount of duplicate keys.
The faster the notes fall, the further apart the duplicates get, so slowing down the note fall rate with f3 can make the notes almost overlap, but I'd prefer to play with a higher (the normal) fall rate.
When asking around in multiplayer I haven't found anyone else with the problem.
I once showed a friend of mine my screen and he said he only sees one note falling, but when i take a picture with my phone (like in the pictures) it is clear there are multiple.
When taking a screenshot of osu only one note is visible.

(When taking these photos I only changed the refresh rate of my monitor from 24 to 60 to 144. The last photo was taken with the default osu skin and unlimited refresh rate in osu)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20180811.2 (latest)

Greetins, Markx11
Full Tablet
Is what you see with your eyes as bad as what the photos show?

The results you see when taking a photo depends heavily on the camera used and its settings. Make sure they are set to a very low exposure time (= high shutter speed); it's unlikely a phone camera can take good quality pictures at high shutter speed (or even have the option to take them).

The appearance of several notes at the same time always happens, it is a matter of magnitude. It depends on the pixel response time of your screen; but even in an ideal screen with zero response time (which doesn't exist), the effect would still exist due to persistence of vision in your eyes.

Something you can try is changing the colors of the lanes in your osu! skin to a shade of gray instead of black. On most screens, the pixel response time between bright colors to gray (notes) is lower than bright colors to black.
Topic Starter
markx11
Thank you Full Table for replying.

I took a picture with an exposure time of 1/8000th of a second and i got the following:

This is still at the high 144 hz frame rate.
I guess it is actually a problem with me and not with osu.
I actually see the notes move as in the pictures I send previously.
Seeing that this picture i took shows only slight duplicated makes me think that pixel response time is not a severe issue here.
I will look for some skins with other coloring.
Otherwise i guess ill just blame bad scores on "my eyes are special" :p

Thanks for the help ^^

Greetings, Markx11
Doge Owner
Are you using a second monitor?
Topic Starter
markx11

Doge Owner wrote:

Are you using a second monitor?

I am indeed using 2 monitors. both 1440p. main one 144hz side monitor 60hz.
But like I said I had the same problem on my laptop.
show more