forum

Distraction mod v1.1 & v2.1 (Major update: 15/4/2012)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
WARNING: This skin contains a full screen spiral cursor that rotates constantly on the screen (see my avatar), and also contains hypnotic & trippy circle patterns that appear on the screen during gameplay, especially when playing on advanced 5 star beatmaps. It is recommended that this skin is not to be used by people who suffer from epilepsy.

Also, due to the resolution of the "approachcircle.png" & "cursor.png" images (2048x2048), it may cause lag & memory issues during gameplay on slow computers. I'm able to get a frame rate of 80-250+ FPS (depending on beatmap complexity) running osu! in full screen mode at 800x600 on my Dell XPS M1210 laptop with the CPU clocked at 1GHz, with v2.1 of my Distraction mod skin, with no noticeable mouse lag whilst playing.

Other than that, please Enjoy.
:)

A video demonstration of my "Distraction mod v2.1" skin is here.

Low quality (streaming) = http://www.flickr.com/photos/77199896@N07/6934739288/
High quality (download) [42.84 MB] = http://www.mediafire.com/?5g332a4p152sz83

Update: 14/4/2012

Version 2 of my "Distraction mod" skin has now been uploaded with a full screen spiral cursor. (download link removed, due to a new version below)

Update: 15/4/2012

Version 1.1 has now been uploaded with changes been made to the "approachcircle.png" image. I have now added randomness to the size of the approach circles in the image, and I've also increased the thickness of the circles and added a drop shadow effect behind the circles. I have added a blank "followpoint.png" image to improve the visual appearance of the game whilst there are hundreds of approach circles on the screen at once during gameplay (extreme maps only).

Version 2.1 has now been uploaded with a complete remake of my full screen spiral cursor that I added to the "Distraction mod v2" skin.
What's the difference between "Distraction mod v1.1 & v2.1" skin?

Version 1.1 = Hundreds of approach circles of various sizes on the screen at once during gameplay (extreme maps only).
Version 2.1 = The same as "Distraction mod v1.1" skin but with the addition of a full screen spiral cursor. (see screenshots & video)
The reason why I created the "Distraction mod" skin & released it onto the osu! forum.

KiyoshiX101 wrote:

This Skin is epic practice lol! If you do some Hard/Insane SSs with this skin you wont get confused in any other LOL Gotta use it
I actually created the skin for myself to practice on difficult maps to make them easier to read. Since it takes extra brain processing time to decode the beatmaps with hundreds of approach circles on the screen at once. Thus when the beatmap is played with the skin enabled, it should make it much easier to read the beatmap with the skin turned off afterwards. This is why I consider my skin a "game mod" (like Boomerang mod on StepMania) rather than just a skin for osu!, since it can be used to dramatically improve gaming skills for those who choose to use it. :)
Please download the zip file below and extract it into your osu! "Skins" directory. Then run osu! and go to the Options menu and select my skin from the list "Distraction mod v1.1" or "Distraction mod v2.1".

Currently known issues
My "Distraction mod v1.1 & v2.1" skins will only work properly with beatmaps that don't include a "approachcircle.png" skin image, and also the "Hidden mod" has to be turned off during gameplay. If there are any beatmaps that have a "cursor.png" skin image, then the full screen spiral cursor wont show during gameplay. To improve frame rate and reduce mouse lag with the spiral cursor, lower the screen resolution in osu! to 800x600 or 640x480, if using a slow computer.

Download the "Distraction mod v1.1 & 2.1" skin, at one of the two links below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dw0ltbc9cigmt1l
http://www.4shared.com/zip/ntf7L_lL/Distraction_mod_v11__v21.html

Shiirn
moved to skins

plus this is just an approachcircle remake, wat?
Xau_old
lolol xDD
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Shiirn wrote:

moved to skins

plus this is just an approachcircle remake, wat?
My definition of a "osu! skin" is images and audio that are used to change the appearance of beatmaps during gameplay, to make them look and sound more pretty, etc. My skin is more of a new "game mode" (like the Boomerang mod in StepMania) rather than just a skin, and my skin places upto a few hundred approachcircles on the screen at once (with ApproachRate:0) to add complexity to reading the beatmaps.

Since it's more of a game mod than a skin, this is why I posted it into the General Development section. :)
Bittersweet
nah, its just a bad skin :3
Shiirn

Bittersweet wrote:

ziin
paintskin gives you the same effect with minimal resource use.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

ziin wrote:

paintskin gives you the same effect with minimal resource use.
Paint skin looks and plays nothing like my skin. See an image of Paint skin in the spoilerbox below. If there's a skin out there that can do exactly what my skin can do with the same amount of approachcircles (hundreds of them) on the screen at once during gameplay, with minimal resource use, then I would like to see it. :)

[Luxord]
This Skin is epic practice lol! If you do some Hard/Insane SSs with this skin you wont get confused in any other LOL Gotta use it
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

KiyoshiX101 wrote:

I actually created the skin for myself to practice on difficult maps to make them easier to read. Since it takes extra brain processing time to decode the beatmaps with hundreds of approach circles on the screen at once. Thus when the beatmap is played with the skin enabled, it should make it much easier to read the beatmap with the skin turned off afterwards. This is why I consider my skin a "game mod" (like Boomerang mod on StepMania) rather than just a skin for osu!, since it can be used to dramatically improve gaming skills for those who choose to use it. :)
Wassaaaa
combine this skin with Konata rave party = God why

Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
A new version of my "Distraction mod" skin has been added to the first post.

Enjoy the Craziness of the new full screen spiral cursor for "Maximum Distraction". ;) :lol:
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Update 1: After testing v2 of my skin today, I've come to the conclusion that the hole in the middle of the spiral cursor is too small. I'm going to create a new version of the cursor and upload v2.1 later on today (hopefully). :)

Update 2: Here is a screenshot preview of the new spiral cursor, used with and without the Flashlight mod. (see below)

Update 3: I've edited the "approachcircle.png" image to add some randomness to the circle sizes, it looks much better now than before. :) I've also increased the circle thickness and added a drop shadow effect to the circles to make them stand out more. The changes I've made can be seen in the second image down. (see below)

Update 4: Two new versions of my skin have now been released (v1.1 & v2.1). See the first post in this thread for further details. :D

Update 5: I have added a screenshot to this post to demonstrate what a 5 star beatmap looks like with the "ApproachRate:0" setting, whilst playing the beatmap with my v1.1 skin enabled. (see the 3rd screenshot below)

Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Gameplay elements must be visible. You cannot make any element that will impair the playability of the map invisible as it will make the map unintuitive or even impossible to play.
This is actually the whole point of my skin, since this skin was designed to make the game more difficult. :) The spiral cursor was designed to cover up some areas of the screen as the beatmap is being played, thus making some areas of the beatmap "invisible" at that time. Also, there is nothing I can do about having the spiral cursor appear on the menus/options & song selection screen. The only fix I can think of for this issue is to copy my skin into a beatmaps folder that is to be played, then my spiral cursor will activate only whilst playing a beatmap.

When skinning gameplay elements, complete sets of elements must be skinned. For instance, if you skin hitcircles, you must include a hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png, and a slider border color (this can be done by adding the line "SliderBorder: 255,255,255" (using RGB values) under the [Colours] section of each .osu file). The same logic applies to hitbursts, cursors, numbers, and anything else of this nature. If you didn't intend to skin an element in the set, then using the templateskin's version is okay. Setting a SkinPreference is also acceptable (e.g. forcing the default skin).
After reading the rules & guidelines for Skinning, I have noticed that there are some image files missing from v1.1 & v2.1. I will fix this in the next two versions of my skin (v1.2 & v2.2). :) The reason why I never read the skinning rules before creating this thread is because I originally posted this thread in the General Development section of the osu! forum, and it was then moved into this section.

Do not make any essential gameplay elements larger than template skin dimensions (especially for combobursts). Larger elements may effect gameplay performance, and thus should be avoided. However, any elements that do not directly effect gameplay (e.g. pause-back, play-skip, etc.) may be slightly larger if a legitimate reason is given.
I can't reduce the image resolution (2048x2048) for the spiral cursor and approach circles, since the skin then wont display and function in osu! as I intended it to. Even though I have used two high resolution images in my skin, I am getting good performance playing osu! with my Dell XPS M1210 laptop running at 1Ghz CPU. I get a frame rate of over 120 fps when running osu! at 800x600 full screen with my v2.1 skin, with no noticeable mouse lag when moving the full screen spiral cursor.
MLGnom
You know these rules apply only to the beatmap skinning? That's why you need to add hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png in beatmap skin when you are going to do it. In normal skinning, you just do these parts that you want. Rest will be used from default osu! skin.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

MLGnom wrote:

You know these rules apply only to the beatmap skinning? That's why you need to add hitcircle.png, hitcircleoverlay.png, approachcircle.png in beatmap skin when you are going to do it. In normal skinning, you just do these parts that you want. Rest will be used from default osu! skin.
The thread with the rules & guidelines that I read was posted in the General Development » New Rules Discussion section. The thread title is named "Current Draft of the Rules/Guidelines". Due to the name of the topic title (not mentioning beatmaps), I just skimmed through the thread and saw the skinning section and read it. So I didn't realise that these rules only apply to beatmaps. :D
Sonadow
where to download this skin?
NaTha

Bittersweet wrote: