forum

How to start alternating

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nanoya
Hello there! So i know i haven't played osu for a while but i want to switch from single tapping since i can't complete maps that should be "easy" for my level due to high bpm jumps and i can't play DT at all [ik i just have to play more dt to get better at the mod but i just want to see if i will improve" so, i can't alternate at all i always mix the keys and fail ez maps i started off ez with 1star maps but i can't even pass those. how can i stop mixing my keys and get better at alternating? i also start single tapping without even wanting to. Thanks in advance for your help!
UnnamedBeast
tap z, hold, go to next note, release z and now tap x and hold it there.

do that on low star maps to give you some coordination for alternating, after that it's trying to space yourself from playing like that
Topic Starter
nanoya

UnnamedBeast wrote:

tap z, hold, go to next note, release z and now tap x and hold it there.

do that on low star maps to give you some coordination for alternating, after that it's trying to space yourself from playing like that

i try to do that but as i said i double tap 1 key or even just start single tapping it's a bad habit but i will try it! as eveyone says "Practice makes perfect!"!
WillSellers
Just go back to easier songs and always tap the next note with a different finger no matter how bad it kills your acc at first and just keep going til you're where you were before. It takes time to not feel weird anymore just stick with it. you will NOT master it, just keep that in mind full alternating players (who always tap the next note with the other finger no matter what) are few, but for now just focus on at least starting a pattern on your main finger, and alternating through each pattern.
(It took me weeks and going back an entire star level for it to feel normal, and I still start on my main finger)
ManuelOsuPlayer
Tap to the rhythm.
koemada

WillSellers wrote:

Just go back to easier songs and always tap the next note with a different finger no matter how bad it kills your acc at first and just keep going til you're where you were before. It takes time to not feel weird anymore just stick with it. you will NOT master it, just keep that in mind full alternating players (who always tap the next note with the other finger no matter what) are few, but for now just focus on at least starting a pattern on your main finger, and alternating through each pattern.
(It took me weeks and going back an entire star level for it to feel normal, and I still start on my main finger)
Topic Starter
nanoya

WillSellers wrote:

Ok i will try that!

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Tap to the rhythm.

AR exists and you can't tap to the rythm at fast songs with low ar
UnnamedBeast

StefansiAltele wrote:

WillSellers wrote:

Ok i will try that!

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Tap to the rhythm.
AR exists and you can't tap to the rythm at fast songs with low ar
ya wrong, AR doesn't change when the note is clicked, just when it appears on the screen
raszka
just play 1-2 jump maps, that's how people start to alternate before realizing it.
Feylos
Try to start by making alternating a comfortable movement. Don't even pull up a map just alternate one finger to the other on your desk and slowly increase the speed. It's something you've got to actively think about if you want to learn alternating over single tapping. Actively think through what button you'll press before each note on say a super easy song, then up the difficulty.
Abbacus
At least for me, start out on maps with the same AR that you usually play but try lower star diffs. Start out by just alternating either sliders that are closer together or if you want to just jump in head first just completely switch to alternating on everything. Play songs you've already set scores on because you definitely won't play with the same skill as you would be with your usual play style. If you accidentally single tap a few times instead of streaming don't worry about it and just keep going. But what you need to do is once you start to switch to alternating DO NOT go back to single tapping if you are wanting to alternate.

It took me about a week to get to a point where I was comfortable playing and setting scores close to what I used to, and about a week and a half to get where I was significantly better than when I single tapped. Takes a while but I think it was worth it.

Alternating is mainly better for technical maps but I feel that I am better now alternating than I was single tapping.
Marc_Okubo
Hello there! So i know i haven't played osu for a while but i want to switch from single tapping

You will probably regret about this in future, probably not. The bad new is that will be difficult to get back to single. It's only my opinion cuz i'm alternate for a while, almost since i started playin osu :)

About Tips, it's fine if your hand wants to tap twice as single. Better hybrid, not full alternate :)
Deva

Marc_Okubo wrote:

The bad new is that will be difficult to get back to single.

Actually when you learn how to alternate, single tapping becomes piss easy. I mean it literally requires zero coordination and all you have to do is tap to the beat

WillSellers wrote:

full alternating players (who always tap the next note with the other finger no matter what) are few

Because there is literally no benefit to so called "full/true/real alternating and the concept itself is incredibly stupid?
loveleft

Deva wrote:

Because there is literally no benefit to so called "full/true/real alternating and the concept itself is incredibly stupid?

stamina, especially during passages of dense 1/4 and 1/6 mixed rhythms
raccoongamer

Deva wrote:

Marc_Okubo wrote:

The bad new is that will be difficult to get back to single.

Actually when you learn how to alternate, single tapping becomes piss easy. I mean it literally requires zero coordination and all you have to do is tap to the beat

Uhm, no?

It is quite hard in terms of maintaining speed and stamina. Moreover, it becomes nearly impossible to do anything but singles, because it's hard to switch to using 2 fingers for bursts and short streams, and do that back and forth throughout the whole map.
Deva

loveleft wrote:

Deva wrote:

What I meant by full/true/real alternating is having to use the next finger absolutely all the time as in zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx is true alternating but zxxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx isn't. I didn't come up with this so no bully. That's what I meant by "Real alternating" is retarded. As for normal people alternating aka non-retard alternating I completely agree with you since alternating is my main play style.

raccoongamer wrote:

Uhm, no?

It is quite hard in terms of maintaining speed and stamina. Moreover, it becomes nearly impossible to do anything but singles, because it's hard to switch to using 2 fingers for bursts and short streams, and do that back and forth throughout the whole map.

Am I sensing a butthurt singletapper who can't alternate?
raccoongamer

Deva wrote:

loveleft wrote:

Deva wrote:

What I meant by full/true/real alternating is having to use the next finger absolutely all the time as in zxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx is true alternating but zxxzxzxzxzxzxzxzx isn't. I didn't come up with this so no bully. That's what I meant by "Real alternating" is retarded. As for normal people alternating aka non-retard alternating I completely agree with you since alternating is my main play style.

raccoongamer wrote:

Uhm, no?

Am I sensing a butthurt singletapper who can't alternate?

No need to be toxic for no reason. And I am an alternator.
Deva
Then I'm genius for osu or something idk

No I'm not you just suck lul
show more