forum

Classical Songs?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lubo_old_1
Why classical music isnt mapped in Osu!? i would love to play Rondo Alla Turca (not a remix), marathon from Beethoven: 9th Simphony or maybe Kovacevich mvt. 4
Achromalia
Typically these would be harder to do, considering the different time signatures, variable tempo or dramatic increase/decrease in tempo for certain sections. Plus, with human error, live classical performances are just generally hard to map correctly and on-time.

Plus, the playerbase is generally more into electronic genres from Glitch Hop, Future Bass, and Liquid Drum'n'Bass, to genres like Neurofunk, Breakcore, and even Speedcore, so it's more likely those genres will be pushed more often than others.

That's why things like Classical, Jazz, or Hip-hop/Rap are relatively scarce, for the previously mentioned applicable reasons.

That's about it from what I can see.
dellar68
Yeah, thats a nice idea
raszka
I'd really love to see a "Dies Irae" by Giuseppe Verdi 8* map tbh
Alsuntia

Achromalia wrote:

Typically these would be harder to do, considering the different time signatures, variable tempo or dramatic increase/decrease in tempo for certain sections. Plus, with human error, live classical performances are just generally hard to map correctly and on-time.
Yea, those reasons are exactly why electronic genres and quantized pop/rock music are so abundant on osu. I've ever tried to map the awesome second movement of Shostakovich' 8th string quartet played by the Kronos Quartet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OS1-yf88rs)). Despite it's extremely rhythmical nature, it is such a mess to time well! I've tried to create a simple osu!mania map but the speed changes are too unpredictable and weird. :( I'm not a great mapper nor a good player, but I cannot believe such a thing would be qualified even with superb mapping.
imm0rt47

Lubo wrote:

Why classical music isnt mapped in Osu!? i would love to play Rondo Alla Turca (not a remix), marathon from Beethoven: 9th Simphony or maybe Kovacevich mvt. 4

Most classical motifs don't emphasise "flow" as much as pop motifs.
sisig
I tried mapping Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso a while back and the only probable way of timing a really complex classical song is basing of synthesia videos or having a metronome and some decent headphones and a lot of time.

Map-https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/941505#osu/1966073
JunieWonton
Oh boy something I have some knowledge in!
Tried finding classical music osu maps a few months back, disappointing to find out there aren't much due to reasons mentioned above. However, I know ALOT of "classical music" that isn't from the romantic era.

There are fiery pieces that can very well fit into percussion-like games such as osu! So much so that people have made metal cover versions of it!

Some pieces that come to mind are:
Shostakovich's String Quartet no. 8 mvt. 2 Metal Version Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8NJGezMicI
Tchaikovsky's "Little Russian" Symphony no. 2 mvt 3. https://youtu.be/rxyN1GHMatM?t=1238
Guitanerias from the Andalucia Suite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnpeZOCg3TA
[i]Igor Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"[i] https://youtu.be/rP42C-4zL3w?t=208
And last but not least, and probably one of the more "fiery" ones here in my opinion, Alfred Schnittke's Concerto Grosso no.1! https://youtu.be/yaaRk0c-780
NOTE: SKIP MOVEMENTS 1, 3, the first half of 4, and 6.

I have aloooooooot more music recommendations if anyone wants to hear my ramble on about this kinda stuff or dm me or smth, but I really urge people to take a listen and consider these!

also someone make a beatmap of Epidermis from Venetian Snares pls
Chemmie
I'd really love to see more classical music beatmaps here in osu! It's true that most of them are either long or have unusual tempos, but there are some pieces that deserve to be mapped.
Something like Vivaldi's Spring from Four Seasons.
Korin-sama
Pieces I want Beatmapped:

Iannis Xenakis - ST/4, 1-080262

Arnold Schoenberg - Suite for Piano

Alban Berg - Violin Concerto

Stockhausen - Helicopter String Quartet

Messaien - Quartet for the End of Time

Anton Webern - Drei Lieder

Gyogy Ligeti - Piano Etudes(all of them)

Toru Takemitsu - Nostalgia

Brian Ferneyhough - No Time at All

John Cage - 4'33"

Please, get on this.
TheKingHenry

imm0rt47 wrote:

Most classical motifs don't emphasise "flow" as much as pop motifs.
Quite the ambigious (wording in your) statement, the straightforward obvious way of interpretation being something I don't really agree with. But I guess this ain' the place for that discussion so whatevs.

For the actual thing:

Your question has surely been answered already, but just necroposting adding my input on this thread for no reason. I, too, would really dig to see some more actual classical (or jazz or blues or such like one poster here somewhat mentioned too already), but not really worth holding expectations on it to be honest.

That being said, there are some classical songs with actual performances mapped (and ranked) in case you've missed 'em though, for example
3rd movement from Moonlight Sonata
Prelude from Bach's Suite 1
and multiple more (a bit older too) maps I can't remember right now. And then likely some more I don't even know about. But indeed it's a small minority for sure.

I'm working on Violin Concerto Op. 47 by Sibelius myself but I'll prob die before I manage to finish it lul
thyme_old_1
La Campanella by Lizst 10 keys would be awesome.
Ayayano
Here is a thought, map a version of the piece that is played by a computer (like in those videos where the program plays along with the score).

Of course now you lose a big portion of what makes a classical performance stand out but it would make the tempo very consistent and easier to map.
polka
i've tried several times but trying to find an offset for like hundreds of string instruments playing at once recorded in the forties is literal hell on earth.

i attempted to time waltz of the flowers like 8 or 9 times and many pieces by jo hisaishi prior to that.

it sucks because i genuinely dont know of any way to better the timing system the editor has, but i feel like its capabilities fall short when it comes to music that hasnt been quantized. :/

TheArcMageYT wrote:

Here is a thought, map a version of the piece that is played by a computer (like in those videos where the program plays along with the score).

i think louis cyphre did this a couple times; mapping like 8 bit covers of piano songs and received a lot of hate for it. afaik people found the covers to be lifeless and boring to play/listen to.
TheKingHenry

Veridian wrote:

TheArcMageYT wrote:

i think louis cyphre did this a couple times; mapping like 8 bit covers of piano songs and received a lot of hate for it. afaik people found the covers to be lifeless and boring to play/listen to.
Didn't know he received hate from those but then again not like it's the most surprising thing in the world. Personally liked that he at least brought some classical pieces up, even though comparing them to the originals is indeed straight blasphemy >:)
Carmlillball
Today I've learnt that classical music has fans.

I actually never knew that.
Ayayano
Insert “classical music is superior” sentiment here
TheKingHenry

Carmlillball wrote:

Today I've learnt that classical music has fans.

I actually never knew that.
... I guess you're actually serious but hopefully not >.<
better late than never I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[Arc] wrote:

Insert “classical music is superior” sentiment here
okay but memes aside out of music types classical music has one of the higher overall qualities genre-wise due the fact that most of the "big" classical music pieces that go around overall and not just in the connoisseur groups have already stood the test of long times, meaning they have been deemed great. A feat that I'd wager won't happen with vast majority of the more modern and nowadays music that is still alive at the moment, be it's age couple decades or few months
Ayayano
I think its fair to call classical music among the most complex in terms of how much theory and practice over the centuries has gone into developing it, these days I think people misunderstand it due to lack of knowledge/experience of it. Its kinda like fine wines in a sense.
- EdgarNitroX
Also a good idea , already i want to map some awesome pieces but i dont know how to map ;3; , doesn't care if u want i'll help
show more