forum

[Archived] Integrated/Discrete GPUs problems?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
genrenders
Well, to start with, i need to say, that i've had a Sony Vaio laptop from like 2010.
There was an AMD HD5000 GPU. (1gb)
The fps there was more than pleasant, latency did not bother me because it was something close to 1-0,5 ms.

Couple weeks ago i've got a Acer Aspire E5-774G laptop (2016)
It has NVIDIA GeForce 950M (2gb) (discrete)
and
Intel HD graphics 620 (integrated)

My problem is, that when i try to play osu!, there are low fps and kinda bothering latency.
On INTEGRATED GPU, fps could go up to 600, latency was something less than 2ms, but it freezed REALLY REALLY much with different skins.
On DISCRETE GPU, fps is capped at 200 (may go 201), latency is 5ms, but no freezes with skins and stuff.

I've tried all the possible solutions for this:
Changing stuff in Nvidia Control Panel
Changing stuff in Intel HD Control Panel
Reinstalling/Rollingback drivers for both Integrated and Discrete GPUs
Enabling Compatibility mode in application
Making the custom framerate in osu!.cfg
Reinstalling Windows
Reinstalling Realtek drivers
Disabling In-Game overlays
Not using Afterburners and stuff
Disablind Battery-Boost

Well, actually, at first, my laptop, after the Windows reinstallation, shew pretty good results in osu!, but after the installation of all the needed drivers, the problem was still there.

I was kinda in love with this game, feels bad not being able to play it normally.

osu! version: 20180626.1
Dntm8kmeeatu
Make sure your battery settings are set to High Performance in Windows.

Could also try disabling "Fullscreen optimizations" in the osu!.exe properties.
AncuL
actually i've seen this impacting a bit more in my side
I have (not really) two laptops, one with i3-4005U and Intel HD 4400 (no discrete GPU), while the other one has i3-6100U, Intel HD 520, AND Radeon R5 M430. I tried to test osu on both laptops and the results was surprisingly in favor of the first laptop. It ran osu on 1.0-1.3ms s all the time while the second one struggles to even get below 2ms. I tried all i could to make both laptops run in the same condition, except that the second laptop has 4GB of RAM compared to 6GB on the first one, so i closed all running programs
I don't really know what happens, but it seems like that osu doesn't need that much horsepower to use discrete GPU and having to "contact" from CPU to discrete GPU slows it down more than from CPU to dedicated GPU. I know literally nothing though
Topic Starter
genrenders

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Make sure your battery settings are set to High Performance in Windows.

Could also try disabling "Fullscreen optimizations" in the osu!.exe properties.
I enabled maximum performance mode in battery settings, fullscreen optimization was never enabled in osu!
Topic Starter
genrenders
well, i think, installing it on ssd helped just a bit
Topic Starter
genrenders
nah, it didn't
imma probably stop playing this game lmfao
Death
What's your CPU usage like while playing?