forum

[resolved] Help! osu graphic driver missing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DedSpect
Its been so long and i pretty much miss playing osu and decided to play it back.
at first it open the way how it supposed to and i went on updating to the lastest version.
Then the screen froze and i cannot do anything.
closed it, open it back showed this:
"osu!was unable to obtain a graphic context. If this is the first time you've seen this, please try restarting your PC. If this is a fresh install, you may be missing graphic drivers."

reinstalling osu didnt work, did it so many times..smh..please help :(

my driver is Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
Death
Your GPU does not support the required OpenGL version to run the latest osu! builds. There are two ways to get back to an older version of osu! so that you can play the game:

1. Open your osu! folder (the default path is "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!")
  2. Edit the file named "osu!.cfg" in notepad (you may need to enable file extensions to make it easier to find)
  3. Set the "_ReleaseStream" line equal to "Stable" (e.g. _ReleaseStream = Stable)
  4. Save the file and reopen osu!

If that doesn't work, download this installer (direct download link) and run it. If you already have a previous osu! installation with maps, skins, etc, make sure you change the installation path to the correct location on your computer. Otherwise it might install to a different location and you will need to move all of your maps and other data over manually.
Topic Starter
DedSpect
ok ill try the method that you gave me...hope it works :D

Update:It WORKS!!..Thank you so much for helping and replying.
now i can play osu!, again Thanks Death..really appreciate your help.:)

This method work:
Open your osu! folder (the default path is "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!")
Edit the file named "osu!.cfg" in notepad (you may need to enable file extensions to make it easier to find)
Set the "_ReleaseStream" line equal to "Stable" (e.g. _ReleaseStream = Stable)
Save the file and reopen osu!
Armafu

Death wrote:

Your GPU does not support the required OpenGL version to run the latest osu! builds. There are two ways to get back to an older version of osu! so that you can play the game:

1. Open your osu! folder (the default path is "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!")
  2. Edit the file named "osu!.cfg" in notepad (you may need to enable file extensions to make it easier to find)
  3. Set the "_ReleaseStream" line equal to "Stable" (e.g. _ReleaseStream = Stable)

If that doesn't work, download this installer (direct download link) and run it. If you already have a previous osu! installation with maps, skins, etc, make sure you change the installation path to the correct location on your computer. Otherwise it might install to a different location and you will need to move all of your maps and other data over manually.

Hi there! I have exactly the same problem. I have not played Osu! in a long time and wanted to try (due to Covid-19) but I can't play Osu! because when I install it it closes and shows "" osu! could not get a graphical context. If this is your first time seeing this, try restarting your PC. If this is a new installation, you may be missing graphics drivers. "

I already installed the version that you are sharing here and it works perfectly, but there are two problems with this version:
-Because it is an obsolete version Osu! I cannot load my results when I play a beatmap.
-Because is an outdated version. I cannot play multiplayer with my friends.

So I wonder if you have another version like the one you posted that my computer can run so that I can play Osu! without those two problems Thanks for reading this and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with the problem I have now.
Death

Armafu wrote:

Hi there! I have exactly the same problem. I have not played Osu! in a long time and wanted to try (due to Covid-19) but I can't play Osu! because when I install it it closes and shows "" osu! could not get a graphical context. If this is your first time seeing this, try restarting your PC. If this is a new installation, you may be missing graphics drivers. "

I already installed the version that you are sharing here and it works perfectly, but there are two problems with this version:
-Because it is an obsolete version Osu! I cannot load my results when I play a beatmap.
-Because is an outdated version. I cannot play multiplayer with my friends.

So I wonder if you have another version like the one you posted that my computer can run so that I can play Osu! without those two problems Thanks for reading this and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with the problem I have now.
You should not need to play on the build that I linked if your computer was made sometime within the last decade (i.e if your GPU supports OpenGL 2.0, the game should run fine).

If you are receiving this error message and your GPU does support a high enough OpenGL version, you are probably missing graphics drivers like the error message suggests. Installing your graphics drivers should allow you to play on the latest stable builds.

If your GPU truly does not support OpenGL 2.0, then there aren't any options other than upgrading your hardware unfortunately.
Phanalax
I wanted to faff around with a fresh install of Osu, but didn’t want my already installed instance on my computer to potentially get messed up, so I installed it on a virtual machine.

I had the same issue where “Osu was unable to obtain a graphics context” and really, installing .NET Framework 3.5 on a prompt ended up working for me.
Xieti

Death wrote:

I cant find the "_ReleaseStream"
Death

Xieti wrote:

Death wrote:

I cant find the "_ReleaseStream"
This fix is only necessary for very specific hardware. If you are having issues, please make a new thread so we can see if there is a better solution before trying this.