forum

Neutron stars are like diet black holes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Think about it, a neutron star is a bunch of mass compressed into a small space. It's very dense, but not dense enough to suck in light, but it's just really heavy. Black holes are big objects (at least the size of multiple suns!) that have a gravitational pull strong enough to suck in light.

Does this mean neutron stars are like dwarf black holes?

abraker

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

We call black holes such because they emit no radiation from their inside and suck any radiation from the outside. As such, it is impossible to see anything that is inside a black hole.

Neutron stars are quite massive, enough to bend space-time such that you can see more than half of its surface. However, it is not strong enough to capture any radiation and hold on to it. The dwarf black hole analogy kinda doesn't apply.

Ok how about something that is on edge of being a black hole but kinda not. Then gravity will cause matter a bit closer to the center to collapse in on itself, causing a black hole. So lets tell physics to take a hike for a second and pretend that doesn't happen. Then the radiation would be red shifted, the neutron star that normally glows hot blue-white would glow dark red or black in the infrared, microwave or even radio. Then that would kinda be like a dwarf black hole.

edit: Now that I think about it, our universe is kinda like a dwarf black hole. Only it's inside out or something. The further we look away, like the cosmic microwave background, the more we see the effects similar to what I described.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

abraker wrote:

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

We call black holes such because they emit no radiation from their inside and suck any radiation from the outside. As such, it is impossible to see anything that is inside a black hole.

Neutron stars are quite massive, enough to bend space-time such that you can see more than half of its surface. However, it is not strong enough to capture any radiation and hold on to it. The dwarf black hole analogy kinda doesn't apply.

Ok how about something that is on edge of being a black hole but kinda not. Then gravity will cause matter a bit closer to the center to collapse in on itself, causing a black hole. So lets tell physics to take a hike for a second and pretend that doesn't happen. Then the radiation would be red shifted, the neutron star that normally glows hot blue-white would glow dark red or black in the infrared, microwave or even radio. Then that would kinda be like a dwarf black hole.

edit: Now that I think about it, our universe is kinda like a dwarf black hole. Only it's inside out or something. The further we look away, like the cosmic microwave background, the more we see the effects similar to what I described.

Damn, i got a lot of inaccuracies on what a neutron Star was. It’s been forever since I’ve taken a science class tho.

You’re on a whole new level abraker.