forum

Pressure/Height Sensitive Cursor

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Genesis Rose
A good percentage of Osu! players use a tablet with additional information available, such as height and pressure.

I suggest adding a skin configurable Height / Pressure Sensitive Cursor to the player skin.

I would implement as follows:
1. If the window is not receiving tablet data, but was within the past x milliseconds, make the cursor invisible. If any movement input is detected, reveal the cursor
2. Scale the cursor between 25% and 150% (25% = 100% max distance from tablet, 150% = 1% max distance from tablet [using Tablet "Z-Axis" data])
3. Use the same scale between 25% and 150% for pressure, with a second cursor texture. (25% size for 1% Max Pressure, 150% size for 100% Max Pressure [using Tablet "Pressure" data])

Making each addition configurable/toggleable in the Osu! skin file.

Why do this?
Players who are learning tablet for the first time may have issues with lifting the tablet pen too far, or even have troubles grasping the distance the tablet pen is from the surface of the tablet. Going too far from the tablet leaves you with no tablet input, and I think the game should reflect that. As a pen down/drag player, I could easily benefit from knowing that I am pushing too hard on my tablet and will miss a fast jump because of the pressure I am applying. Adding the "pen down" cursor texture would also be beneficial in identifying different types of tablet play and introduce more "cursor dancing" possibilities.

(If any of you think this is useless, I argue that it is much more useful than the "smoke trail" that was added a few years ago.)
Sandy Hoey
I think that it could be visually diorientating for most players to have their cursor changing sizes while they play. It may be good for new players, but hey learn fast enough anyways, so I don’t think the harm to the rest of tablet players is justified
Topic Starter
Genesis Rose

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I think that it could be visually diorientating for most players to have their cursor changing sizes while they play. It may be good for new players, but hey learn fast enough anyways, so I don’t think the harm to the rest of tablet players is justified
What harm to the rest of the players when its a skin configuration option that you specifically have to turn on?
DXPOHIHIHI
What about the mouse players uwu
Edepol
This is actually a great idea that I wish existed while I was learning to play with tablet (the amount of times I choked 100pp plays were astonishing)...

I feel like it should be on by default as newbies wouldn't know how to edit the skin.ini file.