forum

Spring 2018 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Next overhyped, mediocre season filled with wasted time, or okay?

For anyone actually using the forums right now in the site transition; I make sub-par charts and spreadsheets (because I'm lazy and never remember to try to make anything better). Tell me and the rest of whoever looks at this why you think whatever anime you are watching is watchable, less watchable, or just shit.
Chinese cartoons are considered anime now?

Green for liked
Blue for neutral
Red for disliked

Only chart you will ever catch me using
Form to summarize your feelings
Sheet that might work? I usually break something even when I copypaste the formatting.

1. By posting in this thread, you agree that we all have shit tastes in anime, and to refrain from "shit-talking" others for their choices in series.
  2. Purple is not a feeling, only forms of the three colours listed above with be acknowledged
Green Platinum
This season is a really interesting clusterfuck.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
I always say "There's a lot I'm trying to watch", and then just end up dropping most of it because it's boring. There's quite a few more series than in the past couple of seasons, more normal running series than there has been with those and shorts combined.

Lots of new seasons to series, both good and cashgrabs.
Green Platinum

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

I always say "There's a lot I'm trying to watch", and then just end up dropping most of it because it's boring. There's quite a few more series than in the past couple of seasons, more normal running series than there has been with those and shorts combined.

Lots of new seasons to series, both good and cashgrabs.
To bad a lot of the genuine interesting discussion is going to be overshadowed by "Is GGO Alternative actually good?" Shokugeki, Boku no Hero again.

Skeptical about new Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu and Megalo Box (For being related to the greatest anime of all time).

Just interesting sequels all around. Steins;Gate, Amanchu and Piano no Mori etc.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Once in a blue moon, something releases on the first day that isn't another series for some little boy game.

Uma Musume Pretty Derby: In conclusion, if I'm not swamped with series more enjoyable to watch on Sundays, then I might watch this for something cute. It surprised me that horsegirl academy here is actually a game. More like will be a game, but the anime released to help with the games debut. It's slightly troubling that it's hard to tell what kind of game this would be, but from what little I can gather from the preview and descriptions, it will probably be some gacha racing game where you also train to be an idol. The concept of being the best racing idol horsegirl is already out there enough. But it's just another basic story of country girl goes to the city to be the best at her talent and gets to meet her idol. Come on PA just give me a series that at least catches my interest for more than cute girls.

Mahou Shoujo Ore: I wasn't really expecting this to be too outstanding, but I still wanted to give it a try anyway to see if it could at least give me a good laugh. Whoever made this tried so hard for it to be funny; they completely missed and instead ended up with every joke being cringe-worthy. I would have the same opinion having watched this for 4 minutes as I would have watching the whole thing, but I still got myself to watch the whole episode. There is no sense of direction or pacing, and every scene is so rushed and moves so fast that there isn't really a plot. There's character background I feel like I should already be familiar with, like the black hair girl seems important, but there's nothing that sets her up to be this front and center character like the show wants us to know she is. Definitely dropping and won't be coming back to.

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Can't even get demon boys right. The op is the first thing that happens in this episode, and just watching the op was offputting enough for me to almost drop it right there, but again I stayed through the whole episode. So we are suppose to be completely familiar with what the kind of demons are that the main girl has associated with, but we don't really get any descriptions of them aside from she has the ability to encounter them. Next biggest thing that bothers me is how jarring the facial expressions and some of the faces are, particularly on the girl. Most of the focuses on her face are disturbing and hard to look at. I get it's a supernatural romance, but the same concept has been done much better multiple times.

Souten no Ken: REGENESIS: Bad meme adaptation for fist of the north star. Even the cg Berserk is allowed to exist in my presence, this is something that should have never been made. More than likely this is a the studio trying to cash in on the property to try and get new people familiar enough with the franchise to buy the blu-rays.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Captain Tsubasa (2018): Not Jojo unfortunately, but I don't have the dislike for this the same way I do for the rest of DP's mediocre shows. There shouldn't be much that they can fuck up with a remake of an already existing series. I think this is literally just a remake of the series. From what I've seen some others saying, they aren't suppose to be adding or changing too much to it. The little boy anime is better than a majority of what's airing.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu -Die Neue These- Kaikou: I don't remember how long ago I watched the original OVAs, so my opinion on this probably isn't as valid as those that are well versed with the OVAs or the LNs. I still feel like they made the characters very appealing, and the VAs were well picked for them as well. The characters are a big part of why I do enjoy this. The CG is kind of hit or miss. The explosions are lazy, but the rest makes up for that. The music score isn't too bad either, however I do feel like the placement of some of it is odd. This is a series I really hope will just get better as it goes on.

Lupin III: Part V: I'll leave this at that I've always enjoyed this series and still do.

3D Kanojo: Another anime about how irl girls suck and 2d waifus are the only way to go. So the bitch beats up everyone, and that makes the guys like her, and she likes the main dude. I'm pretty sure other series have done this better. Twitter memes make better 2d > 3d than this does. The guy is also WAY TOO MUCH of a pussy for me to be interested. The main dude and his friend (that I'm pretty sure is a gay cat boy) are just so lame. You can make a character weak and not lame and pathetic, but they're just the lowest of the low.
EneT
Really quick skim through Anichart; only Golden Kamui and Megalo Box interest me so far. All the rest I paid little attention to because the art styles were too generic-anime-esque for my taste. I'll wait until end of season to watch HeroAca and/or/maybe Piano no Mori and I won't be watching Steins Gate. The original ended fine and an alternate story in which best girl Kurisu is dead does not interest me. Adding extra shit to an already great anime smh

All I want. Is. Made in Abyss season 2. When.
Green Platinum
I have too much to say about Megalo Box. But nobody here has seen Ashita no Joe so it is wasted. And yes I realise it is supposed to be very different.

As soon as I saw Hiroyuki Sawano on the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu opening credits the fact this series is inferior was confirmed. Such an awful choice.
Comfy Slippers
cashgrabs
The industry itself is focused around profitable works. In essence, anime is just a 'reward' for a successful ln/manga. This is why we'll see a lot of unfinished works that don't get a continuation and/or are being halfassed production-wise. If it sells well, they'll pump out some OVA's or another season, serving as a marketing strategy. Last time I checked, manga's and LN's are still predominant in Japan, and it's not gonna change as long as this is the case. Either that or we'll (one day) see a direct western influence (that's pro-anime) on otaku industry , which is unlikely.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

EneT wrote:

Really quick skim through Anichart; only Golden Kamui and Megalo Box interest me so far. All the rest I paid little attention to because the art styles were too generic-anime-esque for my taste. I'll wait until end of season to watch HeroAca and/or/maybe Piano no Mori and I won't be watching Steins Gate. The original ended fine and an alternate story in which best girl Kurisu is dead does not interest me. Adding extra shit to an already great anime smh

All I want. Is. Made in Abyss season 2. When.

If you haven't tried Megalo Box yet, I highly suggest you at least try out the first episode. I'm not familiar with the source content, but I'm really glad I decided not to pass it up. The animation seems stylized really well for the tone it wants to get at, and I enjoyed too how it has more of a drama theme incorporated into it than most other sports anime do.
Green Platinum

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

If you haven't tried Megalo Box yet, I highly suggest you at least try out the first episode. I'm not familiar with the source content, but I'm really glad I decided not to pass it up. The animation seems stylized really well for the tone it wants to get at, and I enjoyed too how it has more of a drama theme incorporated into it than most other sports anime do.
The original isn't going to help. Megalo Box has already diverged enough in it's setting from the original. Some character's are obvious homages and I can guess some iconic story beats that they will probably use but that is it. At this point only hope it holds peoples interest and they go seek out Ashita no Joe. Maybe brings an official western release too.
Green Platinum
Gundam Build Divers makes me sad. The character designs in particular are no where near as great as Build Fighters', instead it is furry and .hack shit.
Meah
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: Your badass loli in pink killing everyone with a submachine gun, I like it

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai: Romcoms are always on my list, everyone get's their own pair. Looking forward for more Pin-senpai x Hina scene!

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: Series is interesting, love story about adult otakus, reminds me of that one 2 seasons ag which I truly liked
Green Platinum
Highschool DxD:
Anybody else think this Sairaorg Bael character serves as a homage to Nagare Ryouma? Considering Highschool DxD is essentially a super robot series now I wouldn't be surprised if original writer is a fan of Getter Robo.
Did this the show always look so shit? I remember the character designs having richer colours and better structured faces.
Meah
Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Tootsuki Ressha-hen: More foodgasm
neko_okayu

Meah wrote:

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: Your badass loli in pink killing everyone with a submachine gun, I like it

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai: Romcoms are always on my list, everyone get's their own pair. Looking forward for more Pin-senpai x Hina scene!

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: Series is interesting, love story about adult otakus, reminds me of that one 2 seasons ag which I truly liked

Good Taste!!!
Comfy Slippers
Tsubasa, Megalo Box and SG. They're all pretty solid. Megalo being the best (so far).

Can't be bothered with anything else.