[Rule Change Proposal] Hybrid mapsets including osu!catch

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Hello!

The current ranking criteria has this rule in place:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If a hybrid mapset includes osu!standard difficulties...
  1. A reasonable spread of at least two osu!standard difficulties must be included. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Normal and it must comply with its respective mode’s difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria.
  2. Converted difficulties must form a reasonable spread. For example, a mapset with Easy and Normal osu!standard difficulties and an Insane osu!catch difficulty is not permitted. One or more additional difficulties may need to be added to fill the gap.
  3. Any two or more osu!taiko or osu!mania difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Hard.
  4. One or more osu!catch difficulties may be included. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than an Insane.
As of recently, there have been a lot of one-difficulty Rain hybrid mapsets in qualified, and their appearance seems to only be gaining traction. For some reason, our mode is different in the sense that we do not require a lowest difficulty of at least Hard (Platter), compared to the other modes which do. Due to the recent popularity that osu!catch mapping has been gaining in the recent years, I'd like to propose the following change to the ranking criteria:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Any two or more osu!taiko, osu!mania, or osu!catch difficulties must be arranged in a reasonable spread. The lowest difficulty cannot be harder than a Hard.
This change will allow a wider audience to be able to play songs they enjoy in osu!catch as well as finally falling in line with the other modes who share the same rule in regards to hybrid sets. The same argument listed years ago with Deif's proposal to remove one-difficulty Overdoses from being rankable applies here, with the sentiment that converted difficulties, while being more playable in the osu!catch mode, are no longer reliable for creating a proper spread. This has been reiterated time and time again with the increase of difficult maps in standard, causing more "disastrous" converts to be brought to the forefront.

I'd like to hear some other people's opinions on this. Thanks in advance!
Sanyi

Ascendance wrote:

As of recently, there have been a lot of one-difficulty Rain hybrid mapsets in qualified, and their appearance seems to only be gaining traction.
Isn't true from what I can tell since Sotarks stopped pushing standard sets with a rain diff added to it xD (please don't quote me on that it's a joke okay thanks)

I think that the rule change is a good idea
ZiRoX
This was going to be redacted in a proposal soon, so thanks for saving me the job. With that said, I fully agree with this.
Benita

ZiRoX wrote:

I fully agree with this.
wonjae
me support
Nanachii
fully agree with this
_handholding
Ascendance for QAT when?
Mrbinking
I really agree with this
JBHyperion
Basically what ZiRoX said, the ideas's been floated around for a while now but it's nice to have it on "paper" so to speak.

Yes, catch converts are typically of better quality than taiko or mania ones, but with more experienced and improving mappers nowadays, they don't match up anywhere close to specifics. We're at a point now where we have enough active catch mappers to support additional diffs.

Whilst people did initially complain about the old "Overdose only" rule being changed, it did allow a great deal more mappers (myself included) to get into the GD-ing game and overall has greatly increased the accessibility and breadth of content in the mode. More of the same can't be a bad thing.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

JBHyperion wrote:

Whilst people did initially complain about the old "Overdose only" rule being changed, it did allow a great deal more mappers (myself included) to get into the GD-ing game and overall has greatly increased the accessibility and breadth of content in the mode. More of the same can't be a bad thing.
This is a really big point. Hopefully this change will allow some newer mappers or maybe ones proficient in lower difficulties to have a bigger impact on osu!catch!
celerih
We've seen a few ppl already add this in their personal criteria for checking hybrids, so I couldn't agree more with this proposal, yes please
Sorceress

Benny- wrote:

ZiRoX wrote:

I fully agree with this.
Hareimu
couldn't agree more
Sotarks

Sanyi wrote:

Ascendance wrote:

As of recently, there have been a lot of one-difficulty Rain hybrid mapsets in qualified, and their appearance seems to only be gaining traction.
Isn't true from what I can tell since Sotarks stopped pushing standard sets with a rain diff added to it xD (please don't quote me on that it's a joke okay thanks)

I think that the rule change is a good idea
What lol
JierYagtama
Platter in hybrid sets deserve some love
_handholding

JeirYagtama wrote:

_Meep_

Kisses wrote:

JeirYagtama wrote:

Jemzuu
i hate platters rrrrrr
Yumeno Himiko
Pretty valid cuz nowadays catch mapping has it's own style and this rule is pretty old.
Xinnoh
Devil's advocate here, but no one can map platters. Everyone and their mum can map a rain, so I don't know if this will really be beneficial in the long run if all hybrids are required to have a platter if there are fewer made.

Why not change the rule so that it's required to have two diffs, but the lowest diff should be rain or easier.
show more