forum

Just bought a tablet, any tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Meta-xx
Hi all!

I took delivery of a Huion 420 yesterday, and I've gotta say it's so much better than using a mouse. As this is my first experience using a tablet I assumed it would take me quite a while to get accustomed to the new style of play, however I'm already back at the level that I was using a mouse. I know it's not the best tablet, but after looking at what has been said previously on this forum (coupled with my low budget) I decided to try it out, and I have no regrets. After discovering that hovering is far easier than actually allowing the pen to contact the tablet surface I quickly adjusted. Though I'm still struggling to finish maps above my current play level, I'm finding them easier overall to play.

That being said, if anyone has any tips or tricks I'd greatly appreciate the advice?

Currently I have my tablets active area set quite small (approximately 40% of the entire available surface), and for the time being it suits me just fine. Also as stated above I hover as opposed to touching the surface, with my little finger supporting the rest of my hand whilst playing. Are any of these things bad habits to get into, or does that sound about right? Obviously I understand it's all subjective, and everyone has different styles that they personally find more comfortable, I'm after general guidance here if anyone has any to offer?

Thanks in advance! :D
DeletedUser_6869432
t/716483

Uninstall the drivers you have now and start using the ones in the thread. You will play a lot better with those drivers then the default ones, trust me.
loveleft
you can either use those ones or the old huion drivers on toy's profile: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/2757689. i haven't tried the new ones yet but apparently they don't do much for huion tablets?

from personal experience i'd recommend you use as big an area you comfortably can, and get used to moving your hand along with your fingers for bigger jumps. as long as you're able to reach the corners of the playfield (not the corners of your whole screen!) using a bigger area helps you be more consistent and (in my opinion) generally feels more satisfying to play with. it also makes it easier for you to identify and correct your aiming mistakes and puts less strain on your wrist.

also make sure you enable forced proportions!
Topic Starter
Meta-xx

kacper124 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/716483

Uninstall the drivers you have now and start using the ones in the thread. You will play a lot better with those drivers then the default ones, trust me.
Any chance you could link me to the drivers you're suggesting? I'll give them a try by all means. =)
Topic Starter
Meta-xx

loveleft wrote:

you can either use those ones or the old huion drivers on toy's profile: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/2757689. i haven't tried the new ones yet but apparently they don't do much for huion tablets?

from personal experience i'd recommend you use as big an area you comfortably can, and get used to moving your hand along with your fingers for bigger jumps. as long as you're able to reach the corners of the playfield (not the corners of your whole screen!) using a bigger area helps you be more consistent and (in my opinion) generally feels more satisfying to play with. it also makes it easier for you to identify and correct your aiming mistakes and puts less strain on your wrist.

also make sure you enable forced proportions!
I'll give alternative drivers a try as suggested.

I originally tried playing using 100% of the active surface, but this was just far too large for me personally. Currently the size I have it set as is perfectly comfortable, and the only pain I'm having right now is with my thumb as stupid as it sounds. It tends to lock up on me and it aches after a while. Ha ha. I'll try slowly increasing the size of the active area over these coming weeks and see how I fare however.

Don't worry, forced proportions was one of the first settings I changed after consulting this forum. =)
DeletedUser_6869432

Meta-xx wrote:

kacper124 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/716483

Any chance you could link me to the drivers you're suggesting? I'll give them a try by all means. =)
niBBa it's the link I posted.