forum

Should I learn to alternate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Maytheforce
When I first played osu my friend said to only single tap except for streams which is what I've been doing, but since I started doing 5.5+ songs I've been stuck at the same skill level for a very long time, and I think a big part of it is that I simply can't tap fast enough for a lot of songs no matter how hard I try. My friend insists that I should still single tap and to just get faster but after a couple of months I haven't improved much at all.

I've tried alternating a little bit, but it's extremely difficult because when I am trying to force myself to do it I get caught up in my head "Which one do I hit next, Z or X?" and if I try to focus more on the song instead of which button to press I end up subconsciously favouring one finger, even for 2-3 star songs.

So should I learn to alternate even though it's extremely uncomfortable for me, or is there a way I can teach myself to tap faster?
Kondou-Shinichi
you could keep improving at both

alternate is useful if you decide to.play ultra high bpms
pandaBee
Control then Consistency then Speed then Control, Consistency, Speed, ...
KupcaH
Yes, alternating is very important skill in osu!.
However, that doesn't mean that you should forget about single tapping and rush to learn alternating. Just play some maps everyday and try to alternate them.
mulraf
you don't need alternating. that said high bpm maps without alternating are very annoying. personally i don't alternate but some maps force me too so i'm not that great at them. i think it's a good idea to train alternating so that you don't have any problems with all kinds of maps but you don't nessercerily need to use it as your main method of playing.
rHO
yes
N0thingSpecial
At some point you should learn alternating but it’s not essential for improvement since osu isn’t really a rhyhmqtically intense game
I Give Up
Alternating is kinda the opposite of streaming, and I'm better at streaming so it is hard for me too. What I mean is, with streaming, your aim kinda goes autopilot while you really focus on tapping. Whereas alternating is like when your tapping hand goes on autopilot and you focus very hard on aiming.

Another way to put it, alternating is slow streaming while trying to snap your cursor. It's another approach to playing the game, but the end result is the same you just have to play more to get better.
DXPOHIHIHI
Yes, it is the most important skill in osu, you wont pass high bpm maps if you keep using singletap
loveleft

I Give Up wrote:

Alternating is kinda the opposite of streaming, and I'm better at streaming so it is hard for me too. What I mean is, with streaming, your aim kinda goes autopilot while you really focus on tapping. Whereas alternating is like when your tapping hand goes on autopilot and you focus very hard on aiming.

Another way to put it, alternating is slow streaming while trying to snap your cursor. It's another approach to playing the game, but the end result is the same you just have to play more to get better.
i actually find streaming to be the opposite, aiming the stream properly is really hard for me (especially if it changes spacing throughout) while the tapping doesn't require a lot of concentration (which is also why i find stacks much easier to hit).
worst fl player
yes
arzi

szkiller wrote:

you wont pass high bpm maps if you keep using singletap
wrong
Skidayo

I Give Up wrote:

wow this is so true.
you are fucking god.
Endaris
Idk, my tap hand goes rarely ever on autopilot. Actually no part of my gameplay apparatus.
DeletedUser_6869432
optional, most of the top 100 are single tappers and you even have people like Vaxei who can single tap so fast he puts alternates to shame
kai99
why the FUCK are you playing above 5.5