forum

How to make notes scrool more smootly?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
feradg
Hi

Its there some advice of how to make notes scroll smoothly with less ghosting?

I don't have a high refresh rate monitor but i did a modest 75hz over clock on mine, but even with this i have heavy ghost notes with some songs.

As my monitor refresh rate its 75hz i've set osu max fps to 450.
abraker
The ghosting is caused by drawing attempts when the screen refreshes, which is solved by using vsync. I am not 100% sure and somebody else prob will need to correct me, but I believe you can switch the frame limiter to vsync by editing osu!'s config file. Should be named after your username. Not entirely sure how though. The ability to change to that option ingame was removed because the downside to this is that the input latency would be ~13.3 ms in your case since the game attempts to sync drawing and input.
Full Tablet
Vsync doesn't remove ghosting significantly (if at all, it's purpose is eliminating screen tearing rather than ghosting), and reduces the accuracy of the detection of your input.

The best solution for ghosting is getting a higher quality screen, with a lower pixel response time and higher framerate.

Something you can also do is reducing the contrast of the colors in your skin. Rather than having bright notes scrolling in a black background, have less brighter notes scrolling in a gray background (note that this might things even worse in some screens that incorporate modes aimed at reducing ghosting).
Topic Starter
feradg

Full Tablet wrote:

Vsync doesn't remove ghosting significantly (if at all, it's purpose is eliminating screen tearing rather than ghosting), and reduces the accuracy of the detection of your input.

The best solution for ghosting is getting a higher quality screen, with a lower pixel response time and higher framerate.

Something you can also do is reducing the contrast of the colors in your skin. Rather than having bright notes scrolling in a black background, have less brighter notes scrolling in a gray background (note that this might things even worse in some screens that incorporate modes aimed at reducing ghosting).

you are 100% right about vsync.

i already had some other skins so i tried them under your advice, and i found out you were right again. The skins with notes that dont change colors or are les brighter are way more smooth.

just one more question, do you know any skin that uses black notes? i want to test out how smooth this can go. :)
Stickman92
60hz monitor.When i play mania, i can see notes fine at 26 scroll speed. Only see double notes if i don't bother to focus on the notes, or if there is only 1 or 2 notes on screen.
If u really push it i can see notes as 1 at 30 scroll speed. Obviously can't play at that scroll speed though

Unless ur talking bout lag