forum

I've hit a wall

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette
Look at the graph on my profile screen if you want proof.

It took me all the way from November to the middle of February to get to 5000pp from around 4800pp.

There's most likely two main reasons for it:

1. My reading ability isn't improving as much as it used to, or it simply stopped improving

2. There's very little pp maps. I've tried multiple maps, and the majority haven't even given me ranks. The only one that seems viable is trigger and i can never properly play the ending so i always fail.

That's just a hypothesis though.

Any advice?
Bobbias
PP isnt farmable the way score used to be years ago. Your actual PP is calculated by taking your top scores and scalimg each score lower than your absolute best. Once you fill that top scores list with decent scores its really hard to get more without a pretty substantial improvement in skill. Its possible to slowly grind pp by improving scores, and passing new maps in the rigjt star rating rang with a high enough score can drop tour weaker scores off your top scores list. This is basically just due to how PP works. Of course if you have actually hit a skill plateau, the best thing to do is try to make drastic changes to how you play. Try a new skin, try a vision mod, try taking a break for a few weeks. etc.
Topic Starter
[MTF] Wolfette

Bobbias wrote:

PP isnt farmable the way score used to be years ago. Your actual PP is calculated by taking your top scores and scalimg each score lower than your absolute best. Once you fill that top scores list with decent scores its really hard to get more without a pretty substantial improvement in skill. Its possible to slowly grind pp by improving scores, and passing new maps in the rigjt star rating rang with a high enough score can drop tour weaker scores off your top scores list. This is basically just due to how PP works. Of course if you have actually hit a skill plateau, the best thing to do is try to make drastic changes to how you play. Try a new skin, try a vision mod, try taking a break for a few weeks. etc.
Taking a break for a few weeks can do the opposite though, at least that's what it seems it would do.

And there was a point where I did every play with HD. It only lasted for around a week though.
abraker
Have you tried abandoning pp farming and go for unranked maps?
Yyorshire
>Wants to get better at mania

> Only wants to play ranked maps

This is a contradiction.
abraker

AsrielDr33murr wrote:

. The whole thrill of mania is building up my rank. It’s the only game mode I play competitively: 1. Because it doesn’t require as much consistency as the other modes. 2. The pp system is more fair.
then you are playing it wrong. Play unranked to build up the skill needed to get better at ranked.

Most ranked mania maps only offer a small taste of the what you need to get better. Due to how ranking works, people tend to not mod maps with more unusual patterns, decreasing any chances such maps are ranked. If you only play ranked maps you would mostly play maps that have LN+notes on side, which is the meta that has been most successful in allowing inexperienced mappers to go through the ranking process with least number of disputes. Also many unranked maps don't have the spread needed to get ranked, and the mapper won't create more difficulty after spending so much time pouring their soul into one.

Bobbias
Taking a break can allow your brain to kinda reset on some stuff. You may unlearn some bad habits that playing every day ends up reinforcing, allowing you to break through a barrier that you would otherwise be stuck with for much longer. It's counter-intuitive, but it can work. Although it still takes time to derust before you really see the results of that kind of break.