forum

Option to switch notelock on or off

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +88
Topic Starter
Nyanaro
For many years has there been a debate within the community whether to remove notelock or not.

Notelock is a feature in osu! that prevents you from clicking the next object if your click is within the previous object's hit window (If that previous object had not been hit)
What this causes is that if a player were to have misaimed a note, the player might miss the next note, and maybe many more notes as well due to this feature being there stopping people from clicking.

I have only mentioned the negative sides of notelock without getting into the positives but that doesn't matter right now.

If we were to remove notelock completely, this would break all scores done in the past 10 years as they did not have this feature disabled. Also the fact that notelock overall is a very healty feature for the game, especially for new players.

My suggestion is:

Add an option to turn it on or off. With it being on as default.
This would end all controversy regarding the subject and also prevent all the problems players face because of the feature, while keeping all the positives as well as the new player friendliness it provides.

:)
Vuelo Eluko
notelock adds difficulty in many cases, i can just turn it off to gain an edge?
Topic Starter
Nyanaro

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

You are correct
Vuelo Eluko

Nyanaro wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

You are correct
then it should be an unranked mod or carry a hefty score penalty
E m i
No wait
Option 1: Aim correctly and tap 99 out of 100 circles in the stream on time

Scenario 1: Misaim the 20th circle
Result: 20 300s, 80 misses

Scenario 2: Misaim the 80th circle
Result: 80 300s, 20 misses

Option 2: Aim correctly and tap 99 out of 100 circles in the stream late

Scenario 1: Misaim the 20th circle
Result: 99 100s, 1 miss

Scenario 2: Misaim the 80th circle
Result: 99 100s, 1 miss

Issue 1: Amount of misses not dependent on the amount of misaimed circles, additional misses awarded for "previous deserved miss", no differentiation between aiming correctly and misaiming

Issue 2: Avoidable by tapping late. Let's give people 300s instead of 100s for tapping on time? Well, no - let's give them misses instead of 100s.

Tapping early is also notelock.

you shouldn't be penalized for doing what you're supposed to do in this game, there shouldn't be a hidden strategy of "click 1 circle late, then overstream back to 300s". you shouldn't be penalized for streaming properly, for stuff like getting od11 300s when others are understreaming to od6 100s and thus avoiding notelock.

you shouldn't be passing time freeze just because you're streaming 210bpm and mashing around, misaiming 10% of the circles and notelocking 10% as well.

and you shouldn't be failing time freeze just because you kept od11 ssing the streams after missing only one circle

edvin184
It would be probably even better to add an option in the beatmap editor to choose if you want notelock on or off. But it would make a difference only on TAG4 maps...