forum

Mappers' Guild Information & Applications

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pishifat

hey guys welcome to my minecraft lets play

What is the Mappers' Guild?

In short, it's a group of mappers responsible for creating map packs for osu!'s featured artists! Here's some examples of our work to give you an idea of what we do:
  1. MOtOLOiD featured artist announcement map pack
  2. Mappers' Guild general map pack 1
  3. Cranky featured artist announcement map pack
  4. High Tea Music featured artist/label announcement map pack

Most people probably haven't even heard of this group. Up until now, the Mappers' Guild has functioned privately. Its maps have been created and its members have been selected behind the scenes. For the most part, it will continue to function privately until plans are further fleshed out, but given our current progress, it's reasonable to publicly explain what the Mappers' Guild currently does and how you can potentially join!

The guild's goal is to provide osu! with a library of ranked maps using licensed music and to integrating osu!'s featured artists into the community. Mapping contests are often held to serve this purpose as well, however the competitive aspect of that is removed with the Mappers' Guild, allowing us the freedom to produce maps for a variety of songs.

As medals and news posts should make clear, the Mappers' Guild receives support from the osu! staff. As of the latest map pack's release, we've been given the chance to work even more closely with the staff, allowing us to expand the scope of our plans. As a first step, the most active members of the guild have earned distinct profile badges for their efforts! (visible below)

These badges and any potential future rewards are earned based on a points system. The more a member contributes through mapping and modding, the more points they can earn, and passing certain point thresholds will allow a user to receive rewards. This is why some members have a badge currently and others do not.

Details behind these point earnings:
  1. Points for mapping scale slightly between difficulties. Creating an Easy rewards a user with 7 points, a Normal rewards 8, Hard rewards 9, and Insane+ rewards 10.
  2. Collaborative difficulties split these values according to what percentage each user has mapped.
  3. Hosting a mapset earns a user 5 points.
  4. Modding a mapset earns a user 5 points.

The following badges can be earned after reaching their respective point values. Each indicates a progressive level of contribution:
100 points:

250 points:

500 points:

Who's in the Mappers' Guild?

The following is the current list of mappers involved (updated nov 2018):
members

• active:
    Delis
    jonathanlfj
    Milan-
    pishifat
    captin1
    Mirash
    Okoratu
    Regou
    Sonnyc
    Chaoslitz
    Pho
    Gero
    Mao
    Natsu
    Satellite
    yf_bmp
    Niva
    StarrStyx
    NeilPerry
    BOUYAAA
    Kalibe
    lcfc
    Sing
    Nozhomi
    PandaHero
    Realazy
    Trynna
    ScubDomino
    Hobbes2
    Sinnoh (sb)
    Noffy (sb)
    Enkrypton (sb)

inactive/quit:
    handsome
    Jounzan
    Nyquill
    appleeaterx
    toybot
    Karen
    Kibbleru
    Nathan
    Trust
    Left
    Andrea
    Gabe
    PoNo

Each member's job is simply to map designated featured artist songs and to provide modding feedback within certain deadlines.

Additionally, the guild is run by myself and Nyquill at the moment. My main focus is on organizing members to keep each map pack's schedule on track, while Nyquill focuses on providing back-end support (with help from deetz(thanks deetz)), and together we make decisions about the guild's organization.

Starting next round, members will be split up between part-time and full-time members. New entrants will be in part-time status until they show commitment to the role by passing a points threshold and moving up to full-time. Part-time members will be unable to host mapsets, however they can mod and provide guest difficulties.

How can you join the Mappers' Guild?

For the first map pack, each member of the guild was hand-picked. For the second map pack, the guild's members each nominated a new potential member, and if they surpassed a certain threshold of votes from other members, they were invited to the guild. Because we're moving towards a more public presence following the upcoming third round, the guild will be taking applications!

By filling out this short form before February 14th, you can apply to join the group!

To narrow down the list of applicants, there are a few criteria we will be considering:
  1. You've ranked at least 10 mapsets
  2. Some of your ranked maps were produced in the last few months (or at least 2017. you should be a currently active mapper)
  3. You've earned over 200 kudosu
  4. Some of your kudosu was earned in the last few months (active modder)
  5. You work well with others. Collaboration is an important part of guild membership!
  6. You've shown an interest in mapping featured artist songs. This point is especially worth considering if you want to apply next round!
You can still apply if you don't meet every point of the application criteria, though your chances of joining will be lower.

Please be aware that not every applicant will be joining the guild at this time. Many applicants may be capable mappers, however the guild cannot function with an excessive number of users currently, so limiting new members based on the criteria above and further subjective criteria if necessary is our most viable course of action. Apologies to those who don't make it! Keep in mind that the guild will constantly be expanding with future rounds though!

When applicants are chosen, they'll be announced in this thread.

That's it for now. If you have any questions, post them here. You'll be seeing more of the Mappers' Guild in the future!

regarding other game modes
There are currently no plans to expand the Mappers' Guild into other game modes. If you’re a mapper of another mode and wish to create something along these lines for that mode, express interest in the thread. If there's enough demand for a mode, we'll search for suitable candidates to get it running. Alternatively, feel free to gather some mappers of your game mode and begin your own Mappers' Guild project!
Ascendance
i brought it up in the internal discord but i am in ter es ted in organizing/helping out with osu fruit

i meet the criteria:

1. 10 ranked maps
  2. 200+ kd
  3. ranked maps this year
  4. anime
  5. i mapped stuff from FA
poke me on discord if im needed, otherwise i dont have a problem organizing my own group for it
Monstrata
Could we get some clarity on the points system?

Is it possible to receive enough points for a badge simply from modding? Or is mapping also a requirement? Also, if mapping is a requirement, does it also require you to be a host, or can you also get the badge just from participating in GD's?

And of course, what is the threshold for each badge, seeing as there are three?

Also, can whoever designed the logo remove the white dot?

I keep thinking I have a dead pixel :(.
hehe

Monstrata wrote:

Could we get some clarity on the points system?

Is it possible to receive enough points for a badge simply from modding? Or is mapping also a requirement? Also, if mapping is a requirement, does it also require you to be a host, or can you also get the badge just from participating in GD's?

And of course, what is the threshold for each badge, seeing as there are three?

Also, can whoever designed the logo remove the white dot?

I keep thinking I have a dead pixel :(.

yes it is possible to gain reward through guest difficulties and modding alone, albeit slowly

thresholds are pretty high, seeing as how 2 rounds have already passed and only 4 members have attained the lowest reward.
Topic Starter
pishifat
details on points:
- points for mapping scale slightly between difficulties. an Easy is worth 7 points, a Normal is 8, Hard is 9, Insane+ is 10.
- collab diffs split these values according to how much a user maps
- hosting a mapset is an extra 5 points
- modding a mapset is 5 points

plans for auctioning difficulties as a host and deadline control will be tested out in the upcoming round(s), which will cause these point values to vary slightly. not worth explaining exact numbers for this without having tried it

handsome explained the rest
Xinnoh
Would it be possible to have hybrids or other modes in the same map packs? (Full spread, not just hd/mx or rain)

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have maps that introduce the other modes to new players, as they often start off with converts which are pretty bad regarding playability. Having specific diffs would give the game much more variety for new players, as they may not fully understand what the four modes are, so hybrid maps would be a good introduction.

I'd also be up to run ctb if there's enough interest. Seems catch would be easiest to start if other modes were added since there's a large overlap between std and ctb.

edit, seems we got catch sorted out on our end :D
squirrelpascals
4 down ,6 more to go lol
Toy
This is dope, and it's really cool to see the featured artists being given more attention. I hope this goes far.
Garalulu
Hype! Hope to see other modes too, because osu! is four mode game :3
Nathan
Mappers' Grind for Badges
AncuL
I'm interested in taking part of the mania section of mapping guild
Even though I don't meet all the criteria..
Sotarks
Really cool initiative guys ! I Wonder if someone can be in the guild without mapping but just helping pushing maps forward.
JBHyperion
Down to fruitmap FA stuff if there are enough other interested people
Raiden
Same with drummap ^
Deif
I'd also like to help out with catch if possible. Nice initiative (:
Nowaie
You've ranked at least 10 mapsets
:joy: :gun: gotta rank some dope R3 music box sets then
Pachiru

DTM9 Nowa wrote:

:joy: :gun: gotta rank some dope R3 music box sets then
:thinking:
Venix
tfw you have 7 ranked sets FeelsBadMan
Caput Mortuum
Guess I'll join in 10 years
Weber
Edit: Doesn't this seem a little too restrictive for the end goal you want though? Wouldn't this points/reward system be better implemented as a community-wide thing, giving mappers of any skill level a goal to strive for, with a proper incentive that would probably give life to tons of featured artist sets? Why keep it as an invite-only thing for only the best of the best?

It honestly feels like a wasted opportunity as there is still NO incentive for anyone outside the guild to be involved with featured artists in any way whatsoever.

Also, what incentive is there to get people from other game-modes involved if there's no guarantee they'll ever be rewarded in a similar way by staff, especially since getting those started on their own would be way more difficult due to the lack of numbers overall compared to standard?
show more