forum

How do i approach scroll speed as a beginner?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
I started playing Osu!mania (4K only) 10 days ago and I've improved quite a lot, however I have no idea how should i continue on improving and with which scroll speed. I started off with scroll speed 10, a day later transferred to 14, then change it to 18 scroll speed cause 14 didn't feel comfortable and was too slow. So now I am playing 2* beatmaps with 18 scroll speed.
I've seen some videos how people improve and most of them seem to be playing on a very low scroll speed (like 14) all the way to 4* beatmaps and only then they start raising their scroll speed like a mad man.
I really have no idea which way is more efficient to improve...
Should i play on a low scroll speed in order to improve my sight reading and hand-eye coordination?
Or should I hit up the fast scroll speed first and just let me hand-eye coordination and sight reading sink in over time? (this one feels like i will hit a wall quite hard but it will be also a good way of improving)
And last question, how does PP work in mania?
Does scroll speed affect how much pp is gained? do 5k and 7k beatmaps give more pp? how do i gain 100% weighted pp? by asking that... do i need to FC + hit 100% accuracy in order to gain the most pp out of a beatmap?
snoverpk_old
raise your scroll speed according to your skill level instead of immediately boosting it to something ridiculous like 30 because that's how you get osumania syndrome
[TAS]
osumania syndrome?
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
Basically you telling me i should play according to my sight reading skill level?
abraker

xnix wrote:

Should i play on a low scroll speed in order to improve my sight reading and hand-eye coordination?
You can play SV maps to improve timing coordination, although sight reading is debatable depending on methods used. Hand-eye coordination improves with time. Just use the scroll speed you are most comfortable with.

xnix wrote:

Higher star = higher pp
total pp gets added up in weights like #1 is 100% + #2 is 95% + #3 ... and so on

xnix wrote:

Does scroll speed affect how much pp is gained?
no

xnix wrote:

do 5k and 7k beatmaps give more pp?
No, but 8k autoconverts used to give more pp. Don't know if that changed or not

xnix wrote:

how do i gain 100% weighted pp?
Your top pp is 100% weighted

xnix wrote:

do i need to FC + hit 100% accuracy in order to gain the most pp out of a beatmap?
~850k score gets you majority of pp. Usually there is a point to go higher if you can boost it up to be one of your top 7 pp. Otherwise, just acc practice
Topic Starter
SnixWasTaken
Wow! thank you so much for answering all my questions! very helpful!
Bobbias
Yeah, increase scroll speed gradually as you improve. As you start playing harder and harder maps, the density of notes will increase. Increasing scroll speed helps spread the notes out and make patterns easier to read, but it takes time to get used to reading faster speeds too, so when you start out it makes sense to keep the speeds a bit lower to give yourself more time to read the patterns.

Everyone is going to be different, especially since it seems that everyone has a different "maximum speed". By "maximum speed" I mean the speed that they end up stopping increasing the scroll speed. When I started out I already had experience with other rhythm games, and there was no such thing as fixed speeds, but IIRC I started using scroll speed 10 at 150 bpm (would have been 15 fixed). Over time, I moved up to 18 at 150 bpm (would have been 28 fixed).
-Squishy
Comfort is what should dictate your scroll speed. Find the right balance. As a beginner, you'll spend a bit more time figuring out which fingers to play so you'll need more time to read the notes which equates to lower scroll speeds. Once you get comfortable with that you can move up speeds if you feel that some patterns are hard to read because they are a bit too squashed up and harder on your eyes. If you can handle the shorter reaction time comfortably then go ahead. There tends to be a general sweet-spot at around 26-32 for most players. If you have a potato that has really bad delay on key inputs then lower is better so you don't have to predict the notes to compensate for the delay. On the other hand, when a map becomes this dense, it's harder to time
[TAS]
Honestly worry about getting a good skin that suits you before speed. Then after you have your skin you can adjust your speed. I say this because some skins might have different scroll speed.
abraker

Shroudborn wrote:

Honestly worry about getting a good skin that suits you before speed. Then after you have your skin you can adjust your speed. I say this because some skins might have different scroll speed.
To add to this, scroll speed is dependent on column width. 12-14 is the norm on default skin while with column size 82 like in my skin, 32-34 is the norm
boneslash

xnix wrote:

I started playing Osu!mania (4K only) 10 days ago and I've improved quite a lot, however I have no idea how should i continue on improving and with which scroll speed. I started off with scroll speed 10, a day later transferred to 14, then change it to 18 scroll speed cause 14 didn't feel comfortable and was too slow. So now I am playing 2* beatmaps with 18 scroll speed.
I've seen some videos how people improve and most of them seem to be playing on a very low scroll speed (like 14) all the way to 4* beatmaps and only then they start raising their scroll speed like a mad man.
I really have no idea which way is more efficient to improve...
Or should I hit up the fast scroll speed first and just let me hand-eye coordination and sight reading sink in over time? (this one feels like i will hit a wall quite hard but it will be also a good way of improving)
Does scroll speed affect how much pp is gained? do 5k and 7k beatmaps give more pp? how do i gain 100% weighted pp? by asking that... do i need to FC + hit 100% accuracy in order to gain the most pp out of a beatmap?

how the hell do you even change the scroll speed? please tell me!
abraker
omg the necro

well I change it using +/- keys on my keyboard
[ Mura ]
The default keys are F3 and F4
blizzo
I can play 6-7 star maps at 31-33 scroll speed. It is something that you work up to. Don't stress scroll speed too much. If it feels a little fast, turn the scroll speed down, if it feels a little slow, turn the scroll speed up.