forum

How do Resets work in Timing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MrMan
I see people here and there talking about how their map needs resets in the timing.
And when I look through the editor of a ranked map I see resets placed on the downbeat No change in the bpm either so It really confuses me.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how a reset works?
Endaris
I don't know which maps you were looking at, but consider this one:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/577119
At 00:36:580 - there is a very obvious spot where the offset resets, meaning nothing else but setting a new offset. If it wasn't set, everything after it wouldn't be snapped as well.
Similarly there should be an additional reset around 00:13:269 - as the first offset is way off for the first section. A similar effect occurs here although not quite as obvious. According to my hearing there is still a remarkable shift in offset of roughly 30ms that unfortunately went unspotted during qualification phase.

Long thing short:
An offset reset assures correct snapping for the entire map. You should look out for them in spots where the music stops playing briefly and nothing (or only a vocalist) is still heard. Vocalists are inaccurate as hell so they don't count as an instrument when it comes to offset.
Lanturn
Music likes to work in sets. The most common is 4/4 where there's 4 measures in a set (or whatever the proper term for it is)

for 4/4 as an example. Count the big white bars.

There are 5 big white bars in this one. From the start of the first big white bar until just before the 5th white bar is that set. The 5th big white bar is the start of the second set.

While the majority of these issues are because they start the timing in the anacrusis (where lead-in usually plays) at the beginning of the song, it can also happen when it is cut short, or extended in some way past the normal 4/4.

Taking a basic 4/4 song for example. Out of all of mine, the only good one I found was an incomplete one lol.
http://puu.sh/yZZVQ.osz

First off there's some noise before the main downbeat hits around 00:01:814 - and such. Some people may start timing off this or back at 00:01:237 - so they can map the lead-in noises here in the anacrusis. This means the set of 4 will be starting 1 measure early since in music it would start at 00:02:776 - where the strongest downbeat is and the song actually starts.

From here on, starting at 00:02:776 - start counting the white bars, 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4. You'll notice some repetition on the second set. Since the next part can be confusing, jump back in at 00:27:391 - and start counting again. 00:27:391 (1) - and 00:33:545 (1) - are similar in this regard since it resets the set again. Usually these can be refered to as sections in the music.

So this is where it gets fun. If you start counting at 00:33:545 (1) - you'll get to 4, and 1 will be at 00:39:699 (1) - followed later by the reset at 00:41:237 (1) - Again this is basically just lead-in to the upcoming section, so a reset is needed here to get back on the proper 4/4 set. This happens again at 01:08:160 (1) - and 01:21:236 (1) -

Hopefully this somewhat helps. While this isn't unrankable, it does help out visual effects and mods like Nightcore play properly.