forum

A newcomer's questions.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Echodancer
Sorry, but I can't figure out where to post these, so here goes...

My computer doesn't have internet access, so all the scores I achieve aren't ranked, and the beatmaps I make aren't in my name, is there any way to transfer them to a computer with internet access?

Also, who do I send a beatmap to to have it checked out?

And can I get a custom avatar for in game, and, finally,

what else do you think I should know?

Sorry to bother you, but I really like the game now I've tried it. :)
Pokebis

Echodancer wrote:

My computer doesn't have internet access, so all the scores I achieve aren't ranked, and the beatmaps I make aren't in my name, is there any way to transfer them to a computer with internet access?
Put it on a USB drive or CD/DVD or something to transfer it to another PC.

Echodancer wrote:

Also, who do I send a beatmap to to have it checked out?
In the edit menu go under File > Upload. You must have an internet connection to do this. Once uploaded anyone can take a look at it. I'd recommend asking on irc (also requires internet) because people are too lazy to do it just from the forums (usually)

Echodancer wrote:

And can I get a custom avatar for in game
Yes you can! *CLICK* Also looks like you already have one :?

Echodancer wrote:

what else do you think I should know?
I've never seen Echo dance.

Echodancer wrote:

Sorry to bother you, but I really like the game now I've tried it. :)
:) Welcome to osu!
Topic Starter
Echodancer
The similarities in name between echo49 and myself are purely accidental. I only found out after I made the profile, and I thought it was kinda cool.

And I meant to ask what the avatars folder in the game files is for...

So if I bring the unnamed beatmaps to a computer with internet access, edit them while logged in and put my name on them, that will work?

What is the IRC?
Pokebis

Echodancer wrote:

And I meant to ask what the avatars folder in the game files is for...
They are stored there so they can be viewed in game.

Echodancer wrote:

So if I bring the unnamed beatmaps to a computer with internet access, edit them while logged in and put my name on them, that will work?
Yeah, pretty much.

Echodancer wrote:

What is the IRC?
Internet Relay Chat. You can join ours by pressing F8 in game (while connected to the internet) or using an irc client (like this one) and going to irc.ppy.sh channel #osu
Topic Starter
Echodancer
Thank you. I hope to post my beatmap soon. Can I PM you or another staff person to look it over? Or should I just post it and hope someone checks it out?
Pokebis

Echodancer wrote:

Thank you. I hope to post my beatmap soon. Can I PM you or another staff person to look it over? Or should I just post it and hope someone checks it out?
You could PM somebody! There are some pretty nice BATs around here. Oh and on a side note, I'm not really a staff member. :|
But you're welcome to have anyone look at it. Anyone can look, mod, and suggest; BATs can do that AND rank.
Topic Starter
Echodancer
BAT? Sorry, I'm not caught up on the slang for this site yet. :?

Also, mod? People can change the beatmap?
adam2046
Welcome!
It would seem BAT isn't in the glossary.
A BAT is someone who is part of the Beatmap Approval Team, they are the guys who rank maps and help people with mapping problems.
Pokebis

Echodancer wrote:

BAT? Sorry, I'm not caught up on the slang for this site yet. :?
Yeah, it stands for Beatmap Approval Team, sorry for forgetting about you not knowing. :P
Also, you may just wanna check out the Terms Glossary and the FAQ for more general questions.

Echodancer wrote:

Also, mod? People can change the beatmap?
We can't actually change your upload. We can however modify your map, put it in a post and you could reupload with that map. We usually just make a list of suggestions though. Feel free to look at the threads of ranked songs. You'll notice most of them have a bit of that.
Topic Starter
Echodancer
say, even if the game doesn't work on a computer, can I upload a beatmap from it?
awp
Not in such a way that it is regulated through the system, I think.
Topic Starter
Echodancer
drat.
Topic Starter
Echodancer
Hey, I tried to upload a beatmap for "Heroe's Comeback" but it said that it wasn't the original name or something like that... what is up?

I made three difficulties, I think the bpm is right, and I think it is a good map, but it isn't on the ranked beatmap list, so...

what?
Pokebis
I'm not quite sure I understand.
Maps have to be approved to go into the ranked section. When you upload a map it goes into either the Help or Pending section.
Could you clarify what you're trying to say?
Topic Starter
Echodancer
I meant that when I loaded the beatmap on a computer with internet acess after mapping it on my home computer which doesn't have internet acess, and tried to upload it from the editor, it took offense, and wouldn't actually do it.

I don't know why.
Pokebis

Echodancer wrote:

it took offense, and wouldn't actually do it.
Well maybe you should be nicer to it. :roll:
Topic Starter
Echodancer
I"m being serious.

I loaded it in osu, and it won't let me upload. Why whould that be?
awp

Echodancer wrote:

I loaded it in osu, and it won't let me upload. Why whould that be?
Unfortunately, that doesn't tell us anything about the problem. It'll spit a message of some kind at you.
Topic Starter
Echodancer
I created it on a computer with no internet access, and then transferred it to one that did have internet acess, and logged in, so that it would have my name on it.

Then I went into the edit mode and hit the uplink button, and it gave me an error message saying that it wasn't the original username for the beatmap, or something like that.

I'm not sure the exact problem....