forum

Mechanical kb for ddkk

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
forelych
Edgar_Figaro
I don’t think ddkk would want different color switches from kddk. I personally play ddkk and use red switches but I won’t claim that those are the best possible switches to use. It’s alot up to personal preference.
Topic Starter
forelych
Red Riding Hood
Reds and Browns are relatively similar to each other, and I would highly recommend either one. However, the main difference between these two switches is that Browns have a tactile bump when the key is pressed down to the actuation point, while Reds have no tactile bump.
BabySnakes
So, I'm a speed single tap shit acc kkdd player and this is what I have experienced so far:

I have played for 2 years with the razer blackwidow. It features green razer switches which are similar to blue switches.
A week ago I went to a store to look at new keyboards and they let me try some of them. I didn't play taiko on them but I got to feel the keys for a while.

Razer Greens ~= Cherry MX Blues
I have played with these for two years. My accuracy is terrible but I may be the one to blame.
The keys feel kinda heavy so I had some trouble getting them to register when I first started using this keyboard. Now I find myself bottoming the switches like crazy.
I think the big bump and clicky feedback allows me to know how to do vibro (spasming arms and fingers rapidly in order to do very fast monocolors) effectively since I know where exactly it registers.
The switches are REALLY noisy. People in your house or maybe even your neighbors will probably complain.

Cherry MX Reds
I haven't played taiko in these but I have tested some of the switches.
They are silent and feel light and fast. The lack of tactile feedback might trouble you, especially for vibro or other techniques that might benefit from you knowing where the key registers.

Cherry MX Browns
I haven't played taiko in these but I have tested some of the switches.
They feel almost the same as reds except for their tactile feedback which I thought wasn't enough from what I'm used to. The tactile feeling (for me) seems like almost nonexistent. I see no point in choosing these.

Closing thoughts:

I have been wanting to get a new keyboard and I have been looking at other switches. I haven't tried the browns and reds in taiko and I'm afraid I won't be able to hit fast monocolors with them. Maybe I'll be just fine doing it on reds but I just don't know it yet. You shouldn't base your purchase on this since you probably won't use techniques like these. I'm just letting people know that it's possible to play fast on razer greens which are close to blues. This is a really picky matter so I'd have to say you need to experiment with all of them. It just comes down to personal preference. I'll update this once I get a new keyboard and I'll try to figure out how they compare in taiko.