forum

Iwadare Noriyuki - Meta Knight's Revenge [Storyboard]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
K2J
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:30:09 PM

Artist: Iwadare Noriyuki
Title: Meta Knight's Revenge
Source: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tags: Kirby Super Star SSB Brothers
BPM: 160
Filesize: 5497kb
Play Time: 02:02
Difficulties Available:
  1. Bridge (5 stars, 477 notes)
  2. Decks (2.86 stars, 133 notes)
  3. Engines (4.6 stars, 244 notes)
  4. Hangar (0.53 stars, 62 notes)
Download: Iwadare Noriyuki - Meta Knight's Revenge
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Just a few weeks late for the release of Kirby Super Star Ultra, it's Meta Knight's Revenge, the medley of two Kirby Super Star tracks rearranged in jazz style for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In the KSS game from which they came, Meta Knight and his crew decided to take over Dream Land with the giant airship, the Halberd. Though his intentions vary across the Pacific (as does the title of the game, Revenge of Meta Knight/Meta Knight's Counterattack), it's truly a shining moment for the character. His prominence in SSBB has led me to become quite a fan.

In some storyboarding, this beatmap is a challenge against Meta Knight onboard the Halberd; the fight ranges from the Hangar to the Bridge and everywhere in between. Can you make it all the way through and finally save Dream Land from... Meta Knight's Revenge?!

I plan on making the Engines difficulty a bit easier in the future, so I'm keeping this in the Help forum for the time being.

---

10 October: Changed some storyboarding so the "fight" is more continuous, did a bit of easing up on Engines, but I'm still unsure of the difficulty curve and the timing of some things - any pointers?

11 October: Finished what I plan to storyboard, namely the "GET IT!" text. Moved to pending where people may actually critique.

13 October: Responded to modding, see post following it.

14 October: Moved back to help for Storyboarding, returned warning arrows just to be on the safe side.

22 October: Tentative Storyboarding beginning for Hangar... I'll also storyboard the beginning and endings for all the difficulties, and probbably the whole thing for Bridge (as it's where you actually duel Meta Knight). Maybe I'll throw his flying form into the breaks for the other difficulties, as well.

5 November: Storyboarding Bridge... phew... I'm having some trouble on the good ending, but that's probbably because I need a break for a while. I'll try tomorrow.

7 November: Fixed ending, animations that I only want to loop once are now done manually using static sprites.

12 January: Storyboard complete! Well, at least for Bridge. Should I add stuff to the breaks in the other difficulties?
12 January: 20% less crappy star on Hangar.
13 January: Hangar SB... finished?
14 January: Decks SB... finished?
14 January: Engines SB... finished?
15 January: Fixed Engines SB Ending
16 January: peppy says Family-Given, not Given-Family order, so artist changed. Star adjusted a little bit more.
16 January: .osb's stealing of Hangar's sounds fixed.
30 January: Thumbnail updated.
21 February: I just don't want my maps to fall into the graveyard, do I? Took Ekaru's advice and inherited, as well as made 1/4 beats in Decks.
22 February: Fixed a SB problem in Decks. / I hate you OSB, stop stealing my samples. >:(
23 February: Lybydose's fixes, save the 1,2 spacing for artistic reasons. / Another SB fix. / ANOTHER Storyboard fix, also, better star. / How about now?
-- Rank--
Nooooo
-- Unrank --
Fix. Please. Work. This. Time.
Topic Starter
K2J
So, does anyone have a comment on the unorthodox break ends?

Should I keep the warning arrows, or just leave them blank as I have it now?
ash
[Hangar]
00:05:47 (2) - rounder circle? lol
00:59:10 (1,2,3,4,5) - this is actually 1/3
switch to 1/3 mode, adjust slider lengths and note positions
on the last slider, shorten it to the nearest 1/3, and add repeats
01:19:35 (2) - move to the nearest white tick (1/4 before) and lengthen slider by 1/4 (sounds better)
01:22:72 (3) - move to the nearest red tick (1/4 after) and shorten slider by 1/4 (sounds better)
01:25:44 (2) - move to the nearest white tick (1/4 before) and lengthen slider by 1/4 (sounds better)
01:45:60 (1) - lol

[Decks]
00:23:10 (1,2,3,4) - make each of these sliders 1/3 sliders; adjust spacing if necessary
00:59:10 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4) - 1/3 section; adjust note positions, but the slider is ok as is
01:35:85 (1,2,3,4) - 1/3 section; adjust note positions and sliders
01:41:38 (3,4) - stack it?

[Engines]
00:23:56 (7) - belongs on 1/3
00:24:60 (3) - lengthen to 1/3
00:59:56 (3) - belongs on 1/3
01:00:60 (7) - lengthen to 1/3

[Bridge]
00:23:10 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) - 1/3 section; you know what to do!
00:59:56 (3,3,5) - belongs on 1/3
01:02:22 (2) - belongs on 1/4 (blue tick)

overall, awesome
good spacing
the storyboarding is very cool
hope this gets ranked because it really deserves it
a star for now

blank warning arrows are a nono, though
unless, i dunno, you want it that way
Topic Starter
K2J
I went over your recommendations, but I decided to add a little bit more storyboarding. Should I move this back to Help for now to prevent ranking?

Also, I'm conflicted over whether or not to keep the warning arrows invisible. The Get It text is supposed to fill in for that, but I realize it might throw people off. Maybe if I made four copies of the Get It text (with the arrows pointing inward) to substitute for the warning arrows?
ash

K2J wrote:

I went over your recommendations, but I decided to add a little bit more storyboarding. Should I move this back to Help for now to prevent ranking?
if you want to, sure

K2J wrote:

Also, I'm conflicted over whether or not to keep the warning arrows invisible. The Get It text is supposed to fill in for that, but I realize it might throw people off. Maybe if I made four copies of the Get It text (with the arrows pointing inward) to substitute for the warning arrows?
that would be ugly imo

personally, the "GET IT" flashing is very noticeable
plus approach circles help to indicate that there's a circle coming
so you could probably keep it without the warning arrows, but if you really want them, just put in the default ones
i dont know anything from kirby that could replace those :|
Topic Starter
K2J
CLASSIC MODE

Versus: Meta Knight!

Ready?
Topic Starter
K2J
Well, here it is. So far, anyway. All that's left is for Meta Knight to disappear into his cape at the end of the good path, but I seem to have hit some sort of snag. It's probably syntax or something that I'll get if I actually can bring myself to look at it for a few minutes with fresh eyes.

While I'm at it, I'll probably add in his batwinged form to a couple of the middle sections. This isn't quite done, of course, but I wanted to upload it just to say I'm making progress.
m980
Revived on Request
Topic Starter
K2J
Storyboard finished. My biggest concern right now is anything regarding the Engines difficulty. If you have input on that, especially, be sure to let your voice be heard.
Topic Starter
K2J
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ace of Trades
Everything is AWESOME in this song. Well... sometimes, the spacing feels, IDK, weird. It's good all around. :D
Lybydose
Engines:

00:27:79 (8) - Extend by 1/4
01:46:97 (1, 2) - Spacing
01:47:10 (3, 4) - Spacing
01:49:16 (7) - This slider seems like it should either be extended 1/2, or a circle placed 1/2 after the end.

Circle fade in speed seems way too slow for what is supposed to be a "hard" difficulty, maybe increase by 2-3 notches.
LuigiHann
Looks like this map has come out really well. Great job with the storyboard, it has a lot of energy and personality. I like how it encourages a progression from the first difficulty to the last difficulty; hopefully at least a few players will experience it that way.

Bubble
Larto
I only have one thing to say~

Easy:
01:45:60 (1) - That star slider is pretty ugly, think you can make it look prettier/more symmetric? Fix it and I'll happily rank.

Apart from that, awesome map and awesome storyboard.

EDIT: Yai! After THAT, and one more minor storyboard fix, this can go into rankhood!
Topic Starter
K2J
Don't get too comfortable, the SB errors managed to make it through. >:(

Should be fixed.