forum

Coloring the black background below images

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
Rena-chan
We all know the good old thing about fading everything in a storyboard out instead of having a black.png take up a good bunch of SB load.

But what about other colors ? As far as I know, it's not possible to change the color of that bottom "layer", even though it potentially serves as a background for transparent backgrounds.
I personally use this sort of thing a lot, and being able to set a specific color for the bottom instead of having to use a PNG, that adds a lot to the SB load, to have any other color than black would be preeeeeeeeetty useful.
ziin
It's silly that we even need to suggest this. And no, we don't "all" know that. Just like nobody realizes there is never a need for "black.png" in the first place since you can colorize the background to 0,0,0 and use that.
mm201
A simpler fix: use the background colour for this purpose when the default background is disabled. This way, no new UI is needed.
I can take a look at this when I have some time to put into osu! coding.
Kitsunemimi
From what I know of computer graphics, the bottom layer isn't really much of a layer at all. It's more like... the bottom of the world. And (while I'm a complete noob,) I really don't have any idea of how to change it, without going really deep into basic functions of drawing that layer onto the screen. Also, if we were to have this implemented, how ugly would having just a plain solid colour in an sb be? Even worse, the noobs who might try to use this feature instead of covering everything with a fat black.png will most likely choose those computer-y uber high saturation colours. If you're making a sexy sb, you may as well use a nice background of some sort instead of a solid backgorund colour. Black in my opinion is pretty much the only thing necessary to minimize sb load.

........But well, if you're going to go ahead and do it, then it's fine; this wouldn't really be hurting anyone anyways.
mm201
glClearColor(r / 255.0f, g / 255.0f, b / 255.0f, 1.0f);
ziin

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Black in my opinion is pretty much the only thing necessary to minimize sb load.

........But well, if you're going to go ahead and do it, then it's fine; this wouldn't really be hurting anyone anyways.
As I said earlier, the black "background" is also worthless. It would be much more useful in optimizing SBs if you had a white BG, or better coloring options.
Topic Starter
Rena-chan

Kitsunemimi wrote:

From what I know of computer graphics, the bottom layer isn't really much of a layer at all. It's more like... the bottom of the world. And (while I'm a complete noob,) I really don't have any idea of how to change it, without going really deep into basic functions of drawing that layer onto the screen. Also, if we were to have this implemented, how ugly would having just a plain solid colour in an sb be? Even worse, the noobs who might try to use this feature instead of covering everything with a fat black.png will most likely choose those computer-y uber high saturation colours. If you're making a sexy sb, you may as well use a nice background of some sort instead of a solid backgorund colour. Black in my opinion is pretty much the only thing necessary to minimize sb load.

Just to be clear, everything can potentially be abused or just used badly. But please, at least try to think outside those cases.
Kitsunemimi

Rena-chan wrote:

Just to be clear, everything can potentially be abused or just used badly. But please, at least try to think outside those cases.
@_@ If you had shown me that in the first place then I would've seen what you were thinking of. Of course, that can still mean that people might interpret it the way that I did, and do it wrong. But yeah, now that I've seen how nice it can look, can't really imagine this being a bad thing.
peppy
Just so you know, you already have control over the background colour (although this is not documented anywhere).

For an example, see this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/668
Azure_Kite
Oh hey. Very useful. Thanks for pointing that out.