forum

What are some ways you can farm in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Poseidon
THIS WILL BE POSTED ON THE MANIA, TAIKO AND CTB FORUMS, IF POSTING THE BASICALLY THE SAME THING WITH MINOR DIFFERENCES ON MULTIPLE FORUMS IS AGAINST THE RULES, LET ME KNOW!

before you type down below that "farming is bad and ruins the game" or "rank/pp doesnt = skill"
I know that, but there is a decent percentage of osu! players who like competitiveness, higher pp or better rank. It shows them that they are improving and its always nice seeing your pp rise (no dirty joke intended).

Anyways lets get into why i'm asking this question

I'm making a video for Christmas; since I haven't made a video in a while and i'm going to talk about ways of farming pp in all 4 modes. I have played mania before but not as religiously as other modes. I know a decent amount of farming techniques for standard but that is the only gamemode i'm decently "familiar" with.

If you know any ways of farming, please help out! :D
Yyorshire
look at other people's profiles and see what they've farmed and then do it yourself

give me credit for this revolutionary idea
Topic Starter
Poseidon

Yyorshire wrote:

look at other people's profiles and see what they've farmed and then do it yourself

give me credit for this revolutionary idea
sorry but i have written the script for play stealing already
Full Tablet
Your rank depends mostly on your scores in a handful of maps that have too high star rating for their difficulty. Playing all those maps takes just a few hours.

The thing is, unlike other game modes, the amount of pp you get from play to play doesn't vary as much (if you get, for example, 200pp from a map in the first try, you wouldn't get a lot more than that just by retrying that same map over and over without practice in-between).

The easiest keycount to get pp early is 4K, but higher keycounts tend to give more pp in the long run (since they allow for even more overrated patterns).

So to farm in mania:
  1. Play 7K/8K for more pp in the long run instead of 4K. Skill in higher keycounts translates better to lower keycounts than the other way around.
  2. Don't ignore any ranked map (including all their possible mod combinations) that is overrated in terms of star rating.
  3. Many overrated maps are long and draining, memorize when you can pause so you can rest mid-plays (or just pause in relaxed parts of the song).
  4. Improve your skill at the patterns that are overrated: slow jump streams for lower ranking maps, chord-trills and rolls that are fast enough you can play as if they were chord-trills for higher ranking maps, and handjacks and vibro for even higher ranking maps. Ignore abilities that give no pp (SVs, single jacks, single streams, stamina, complex reading mixed patterns).
  5. Get your extra ~400pp from playing a lot of ranked maps.
Topic Starter
Poseidon

Full Tablet wrote:

Your rank depends mostly on your scores in a handful of maps that have too high star rating for their difficulty. Playing all those maps takes just a few hours.

The thing is, unlike other game modes, the amount of pp you get from play to play doesn't vary as much (if you get, for example, 200pp from a map in the first try, you wouldn't get a lot more than that just by retrying that same map over and over without practice in-between).

The easiest keycount to get pp early is 4K, but higher keycounts tend to give more pp in the long run (since they allow for even more overrated patterns).

So to farm in mania:
  1. Play 7K/8K for more pp in the long run instead of 4K. Skill in higher keycounts translates better to lower keycounts than the other way around.
  2. Don't ignore any ranked map (including all their possible mod combinations) that is overrated in terms of star rating.
  3. Many overrated maps are long and draining, memorize when you can pause so you can rest mid-plays (or just pause in relaxed parts of the song).
  4. Improve your skill at the patterns that are overrated: slow jump streams for lower ranking maps, chord-trills and rolls that are fast enough you can play as if they were chord-trills for higher ranking maps, and handjacks and vibro for higher ranking maps. Ignore abilities that give no pp (SVs, single jacks, single streams, stamina, complex reading mixed patterns).
  5. Get your extra ~400pp from playing a lot of ranked maps.
WOW THANKS VERY MUCH! is it okay if i just copy and paste your words in the script or do you want me to use your points but reword them?

and do you want me to disclose your name? i'll either mention you or when i'm talking about your points or ill have suggested by "Full Tablet" on the screen
snoverpk_old
nobody wants to be associated with osumania
Topic Starter
Poseidon

snoverpk wrote:

nobody wants to be associated with osumania
ummm okay? that wasn't very funny if that was a joke
Tripletth
Play high pp maps

wow i solved you riddle
Topic Starter
Poseidon

Tripletth wrote:

Play high pp maps

wow i solved you riddle

Thank!
Bobbias
Halftime can be helpful for farming on particularly hard maps and expanding the number of maps you can get scores on. Maps like The Limit Does Not Exist for example, have some very hard difficulties, and still give considerable PP for a good score on halftime.

Maps with lots of large chords are overrated compared to other stuff because mania bases star rating mostly on note density. Fast single note streams and complicated LN patterns are underrated, so avoid those kinds of maps generally.
Yyorshire

Bobbias wrote:

complicated LN patterns are underrated
i don't think that's technically correct, the currently ranked LN maps are underrated, but complicated LN patterns I'd argue are overrated rather than underrated, even more so than dense chord patterns, although I'm coming from a 4k perspective and I'm not quite sure how it would work in higher keymodes

For example:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/642420
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/618263
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/578082
Bobbias
It depends on the length of the LNs. LNs contribute 1.5x the density of a regular note to the SR calculation so maps which effectively replace notes with LNs at a decent speed will be overrated since you can mostly treat them as single notes but they inflate the density. I was referring to maps like Sister's Noise, which is severly underrated. When I said complicated LNs, I meant in 7k, where LNs are more common and can feel underrated by a star or even more.
abraker
Play TV sized 4k autoconverts on DT

Score farming is on the list, right? right? pls help me