forum

t

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hisshou
B1rd
It is "elitism" to rub it in the faces of the fools who didn't pick you for OWC when clearly you're the best player in the country?

"Elitism" hardly exists like you say it does. 90% of the people complain about "elitism" are just complaining that their opinion isn't as held in high regard compared to people who have more comprehensive knowledge of the game. They aren't suffering from elitism, they are suffering from having an inferiority complex.

Railey's posts was a complaining that people who have extensive knowledge of mapping theory, such as mappers, were judging the merit of maps on a criteria other that a popularity contest. Because obviously sheer popularity isn't the best metric to judge something.

It is an argument, like his thread about PP maps, which is founded purely on moral indignation and has little logical substance, which can easily be rebutted.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
B1rd
There is very little evidence to show that there is a significant trend of new players being ostracised or put down, besides from a few people in G&R which is hardly a significant portion of the community. osu! not primarily a multiplayer game, the atmosphere is fairly relaxed, and if you don't act like a dickhead generally you will get along fine, no matter your rank.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
Vuelo Eluko

StuNiPid wrote:

B1rd wrote:

There is very little evidence to show that there is a significant trend of new players being ostracised or put down, besides from a few people in G&R which is hardly a significant portion of the community. osu! not primarily a multiplayer game, the atmosphere is fairly relaxed, and if you don't act like a dickhead generally you will get along fine, no matter your rank.
No idea where you're getting this from. As a very active person within the community, the atmosphere is far from relaxed, there is a constant pressure from players and rankings that bears down on new players especially. On the topic of the filsdelama controversy, there is most likely a reason for him not being chosen, for example, toxicity could be a factor. This applies to any team game. For example, players that suffer from toxicity and elitism in the csgo community that retain extreme skills are often still not picked for teams due to the fact that their bad team play overshadows their individual skill. The same applies to the osu! community.
what does teamplay have to do with it, everyone is just individually playing their own thing in multiplayer...
B1rd
And osu! isn't a team game. I don't know why you think one example of a guy not being picked for an OWC team is any evidence of elitism, because it's clearly not. And the French team were idiots for not picking him and got what they deserved by losing, because OWC is predicated on individual skill, not teamwork.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
Topic Starter
Hisshou
B1rd
And he was entirely justified in his response. It's not "elitist" to want to best players available. That's called meritocracy. In fact, I could go so far as to say that the French OWC team was discriminating against fils.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
Topic Starter
Hisshou
B1rd
And yet yo completely fail to make a case as to why fils is a "toxic" person, or justify why "chemistry" is an appropriate reason to discriminate against someone. If they don't like him, then too bad, they should get over their differences and work together to do their best in OWC. Because obviously they completely failed without him, and because they discriminated against him they let down their entire country. Cause and effect is quite clear.

And you're the one who brought it up so don't blame me. You've yet to provide any substantial peice of evidence of any elitism whatsoever, or that it negatively affects osu!.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
B1rd
Uh, I refuted your "evidence" because that's literally the only "evidence" that you've brought forward during your entire collection of posts. You have failed to demonstrate any of your claims. Number one is just people being sick of players for asking questions that could be answered by 2 minutes looking at the wiki, and there is zero evidence that higher ranked players "refuse to communicate" with low ranked players; rather it's just the case that people associate with people similar ranks as themselves because they play the same general difficulty of maps.

And in the case of the "case study" of fils, you have made the ridiculous proposition that his comment is an example of a widespread problem of "elitism", when in fact it's blindingly obvious to anyone that he is not gloating because he is just a better player and wants to rub it in other people's faces, but rather he is pointing out the obvious error of making a OWC team without including the best players and mocking them for their mistake.

"Elitism" isn't always a problem. A good dose of "elitism" is healthy because the alternative is having no standards and catering to the lowest common denominator.
silmarilen

StuNiPid wrote:

filsdelama applied for the French team for OWC 2017 but was not picked and France lost during group stage
He didn't even apply lol. He's just a prick, nothing to do with elitism.
Topic Starter
Hisshou
Topic Starter
Hisshou
Nao Tomori
fils did not even apply, as confirmed by poon lol. he is just being an idiot like the 15 year old he is
B1rd
You're the one whose arguments are irrelevant until you can actually back them up with something. And I'm not sure what evidence you want me to provide - you're the one making the claim, it's your job to provide evidence. And then you expect that mentioning some stream, as if I'm supposed to know what stream it is, is something I'm supposed to take seriously. It's not my job to go on wild goose chases so I can validate your point. The post you showed was his quote, and trying to use that as evidence as some wide trend is so laughable that you ought not have even done it - I can cherry pick any one out of a million posts about osu! and try to use that as evidence as a wider trend, but logic doesn't work like that.
show more