forum

Mania Empty Key Press = Miss mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
SisconOniisan
I'm not sure what this kind of thing is called on other similar games so I couldn't really search for identical request threads.

I'm talking about a difficulty mod that would make your key press count as a miss if you press a key while the note you're supposed to hit is on another column. Right now, on the default mania, if you press all four keys (on 4k) just to hit a single note, it'll still count as a hit. Basically, this mod would prevent players from mashing and force them to do a more accurate play style. It doesn't have to count ALL empty presses as miss, only when there's notes that the player has to hit.

IIRC, this is the default behavior on other mania type games. Would be nice to have it here too, albeit as a mod. More lenient for newer players that way and players who want this feature can turn it on any time.
Adri
I wouldn't be surprised if it had been already submitted, but still it would be a great idea to add this as a mode (tourneys could use it for qualifiers for example).

Maybe a "ghost hit" could count as a miss (increase the accuracy and score divider that would be the maximum amount of notes), i don't know if it should break the combo still.

Anyways another example of map where this would be needed : Psy - Daddy (Hard Dancing SV) Where there are SV triples that everyone quads because it's "too hard to read"
Topic Starter
SisconOniisan
Yeah, I'm not expecting this to be an original thread either. On the implementation, maybe a different HP bar that would decrease every time you do it, failing the game if it reaches zero. Or just cause a score or accuracy decrease per instance and add a different counter for this "ghosting" so the player knows. Either way shouldn't cause the notes to inflate.
Tanomoshii Nekojou
i'm trying to look for the thread but i cant find it but im 100% it was a duplicate request and/or was already marked invalid...
i'm not pretty sure whats the reason tho...
(the suggestion before was to make it not a mod but a standard rule that empty key press = miss, and in my opinion., empty key press in osu!mania should not be a miss... its like pressing K1/K2 or M1/M2 in osu!standard without any circles, sliders or spinners..., or pressing keys in osu!taiko without any elements...)

but if this would be a mod.., then it could be great... :D
abraker
How about instead of this, we think bigger and get a mod that allows us to customize score ranges and miss range as a replacement for the HR mod. Ofc, unranked to start with.
Adri

abraker wrote:

How about instead of this, we think bigger and get a mod that allows us to customize score ranges and miss range as a replacement for the HR mod. Ofc, unranked to start with.
Ok. NEED.
This is so great.

EDIT: Wrote this in a hurry but i'll explain why ; This already exists like in stepmania and Malody (and is so damn well for practicing as well as ranking) but something so customizable would be 150% more powerful and fun at the same time.