forum

Offset understanding question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Poldelicious
hey guys, pretty new to all this here, I started osu now about 6 weeks ago^^
I feel I tend to hit beats a little early and recently found out about offsets and wanted to mess around with it a bit.

so, my question for general understanding how offsets work is: if it shows me an error of -20ms (see picture) do I set an offset of -20ms or +20ms ?
kriers
It's suggesting you're pressing by average a few ms too late, but the error numbers are too high to pinpoint. Once you start seeing numbers like -10 - +15, you can start tweaking the offset.
Topic Starter
Poldelicious
let's assume my error numbers are lower, what gets me back to my original question: in which direction do I have to set the offset? do I just set my error rate? or do I set it in the opposite direction?

thanks for fast reply though :)
Edgar_Figaro
The thing you also want to see is it always like this or just for this particular beatmap?

Not all beatmaps are timed 100% perfectly and if you see the numbers consistently off for a particular beatmap you want to use Local offset.
Ultimately you want the -xx.xx m/s & +xx.xx m/s to be as close to even as possible.
If your adjusting local offset making the beatmap negative m/s will correct for hitting early while adding positive m/s will adjust for hitting late as your adjusting the timing of the individual beatmap forward or backward from an audio standpoint.

This is done by once inside a beatmap using the + & - on your keyboard to adjust it by 5m/s at a time. If you want to only adjust by 1m/s hold the alt key while pressing +/-

If your always off on every song in roughly the same direction you want to instead adjust your global offset. This will instead be adjusting your hit timing and so will be the exact opposite of local offset. If your hitting early you want add m/s while hitting late you'll want to subtract m/s
This will be done through the options with the slider
Also note, the offset may not fix the problem as your issue could be visual offset and not audio, which in case that needs to be adjusted in your skin.
Topic Starter
Poldelicious
that's a reply I can work with. Thank you very much :)