forum

AR 7

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HandClapFap
Welp i recently started playing osu again but there is one thing bugging me..
I want to ask if there is any tips that you can give me how to deal with AR 7&8 would appreciate.
Endaris
Play more AR7.
Really.
Don't try to look too far ahead, take one circle at a time.
Velura
I struggled with AR7 for a while, what helped me immensly was - as mentioned before - playing more AR7, but also paying very close attention to the rhythm of the song. :)
my name is hi
I feel you, I can't play higher than 9.5 and it feels like I'll never be able to do it.
It's funny because not that long ago I could barely play AR9 and I remember struggling on AR8 before that.

just play lots of AR6-8
eyjafjallaaaaaa
Well, you can try memorizing the pattern instead if you find it hard to read. I can barely read anything lower than 9.5 on bpm > 200. but I can play some old maps with EZ cuz I memorized the pattern. Combo numbers really helps as well. If your skin does not have one i suggest adding it back.
winber1

Endaris wrote:

Play more AR7.
Really.
who are u

where's inferno cop
kai99

Endaris wrote:

Play more AR7.
Really.
take his advice
he's ar 7-8 master i swear to god
mulraf
you can take it a bit slower by learning ar's in between. like instead of ar 6 -> ar 7 make it ar 6 -> ar 6.5 -> ar 7 or if you want to in even smaller steps. there's lots of maps with ar's in between out there, if you play more you're gonna get better :3
Endaris

winber1 wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Play more AR7.
Really.
who are u

where's inferno cop
Inferno Cop is taking his well deserved yearly vacation. He'll be back by the end of the month!
Kondou-Shinichi

Endaris wrote:

winber1 wrote:

who are u

where's inferno cop
Inferno Cop is taking his well deserved yearly vacation. He'll be back by the end of the month!
dont forget the santa hat
KupcaH

Kondou-Shinichi wrote:

Endaris wrote:

dont forget the santa hat
And the beard.
Celine
Feel the rythm
Topic Starter
HandClapFap

Velura wrote:

I struggled with AR7 for a while, what helped me immensly was - as mentioned before - playing more AR7, but also paying very close attention to the rhythm of the song. :)
Mhm thanks i'll keep that in mind
capefear56
I just realized OP has nothing but S's on all their completed songs.

lul
Mio Winter

HandClapFap wrote:

I want to ask if there is any tips that you can give me how to deal with AR 7&8 would appreciate.
Depends on where you're starting from. I see that your top PP ranks are all AR 9 (AR 5 with DTHR is AR 9). Does that mean you feel more comfortable on AR 9 than AR 8 or 7 already? : O

(Note! I'm not an expert, and others may disagree with my advice. Follow my advice only if you think it makes sense.)

The reading buffer and reading speed
Before giving further advice, I have to explain what reading speed and reading buffer is first.

It'll be easier to explain with an analogy. You know when you watch a YouTube video, you notice that your computer doesn't download the whole video before playing it? Your computer only downloads the first seconds of it, and then plays those seconds of video to you at the same time as it loads more seconds ahead. If you're on a slow Internet connection, you might notice that the video stops because your computer hasn't downloaded the next seconds. But if you have a fast Internet connection, you might see that you have downloaded several minutes ahead of what you're currently watching. The place you download that extra video you haven't watched yet is called your computer's buffer.

Likewise, when you read circles to the beat, you don't immediately click the circles as soon as you see them. Instead, you feed the pattern of circles into your reading buffer in order to play the rhythm at the appropriate time. When watching YouTube videos, how fast you can feed parts of the video into your buffer depends on your downloading speed. When playing osu!, how fast you can feed parts of the beatmap into your reading buffer is determined by your reading speed. Playing higher AR than you're used to requires you to increase your reading speed, but playing lower AR than you're used to requires you to expand your reading buffer.

Approach-circle reading vs. conductor reading
I just said that playing lower AR requires you to expand your reading buffer. That was a lie, sorry. What I meant is that you need to expand your reading buffer unless you read based on approach circles. For example, you could play AR 2 by looking at the approach circles for when to hit the next object, and this doesn't require you to have more than a single circle in mind at any point in time. So it's possible to read lower AR without a large reading buffer.

But! I think reading based on approach circle is really inefficient for higher star ratings. We all have to start out by reading based on approach circles, but as we get better, we instead want to learn to read based on rhythm sense and the sequence at which the circles appear. For example, if you see two circles appearing within a short time interval, you'll know that you're supposed to click them within an equally short time interval. I'm going to call this conductor reading for now, because conductors of orchestras have to gesture the dynamics of the music before the orchestra plays it.

When you start out in osu!, almost all your reading will be based on AC reading (approach-circle reading). Conductor-reading everything below AR 8 requires a bigger reading buffer than new players can be expected to have. But once you get comfortable with AR 8 and above, your brain will automatically learn to conductor-read more and more and AC-read less and less, simply because conductor reading is more efficient. You won't notice this happening unless you know to look for it.

A good way to transition from AC reading to conductor reading is by first increasing your reading speed enough to play AR 8 or 9, and then try playing with HD. HD requires you to conductor-read since there are no approach circles. You'll notice that AR 8 with HD is more difficult than AR 9 with HD if you're already comfortable with nomod AR 9 and 8. This is because conductor-reading lower AR is more difficult due to requiring a larger reading buffer.

Also, I should mention that expanding your reading buffer enough to read AR 8 with HD is not just good for reading AR 8 with HD, it also helps with reading in general, so you should be better able to read technical maps at AR 9 for example. And it should help you read higher bpm AR 9 maps, because in general, the higher bpm a beatmap is, the more circles are displayed on the screen at once.

Learning to conductor-read higher or lower AR
If you want to read beatmaps with higher AR than you're used to, you'll need higher reading speed, and that's simply a matter of playing higher AR than you're used to. I wouldn't recommend pushing yourself too much to read AR much higher than what you're used to, because you still need to enjoy playing it, otherwise you'll end up practicing less.

mulraf wrote:

you can take it a bit slower by learning ar's in between.
If you want to conductor-read beatmaps with lower AR than you're used to, however, playing much lower AR than you're used to could be inefficient because you're just transitioning to AC-reading instead of growing your reading buffer. If you start out being comfortable at AR 9 but you can't play AR 8, going straight to practicing AR 7 will probably just end up with you AC-reading a lot of it. Using HD will remedy this, but reading AR 7 HD may be too hard before you can read AR 8 HD. Remember, you have to have fun at the same time, otherwise you'll lose interest.

So I recommend getting good at AR 8 before trying AR 7, and that will make it easier to growing your reading buffer all the time.

...TL;DR play more?
7ambda

Endaris wrote:

who are you

where's Ran btw, i had to do an extensive search to find the character's name, lol
Deva

Mio Winter wrote:

HandClapFap wrote:

Depends on where you're starting from. I see that your top PP ranks are all AR 9 (AR 5 with DTHR is AR 9). Does that mean you feel more comfortable on AR 9 than AR 8 or 7 already? : O

(Note! I'm not an expert, and others may disagree with my advice. Follow my advice only if you think it makes sense.)

The reading buffer and reading speed
Before giving further advice, I have to explain what reading speed and reading buffer is first.

It'll be easier to explain with an analogy. You know when you watch a YouTube video, you notice that your computer doesn't download the whole video before playing it? Your computer only downloads the first seconds of it, and then plays those seconds of video to you at the same time as it loads more seconds ahead. If you're on a slow Internet connection, you might notice that the video stops because your computer hasn't downloaded the next seconds. But if you have a fast Internet connection, you might see that you have downloaded several minutes ahead of what you're currently watching. The place you download that extra video you haven't watched yet is called your computer's buffer.

Likewise, when you read circles to the beat, you don't immediately click the circles as soon as you see them. Instead, you feed the pattern of circles into your reading buffer in order to play the rhythm at the appropriate time. When watching YouTube videos, how fast you can feed parts of the video into your buffer depends on your downloading speed. When playing osu!, how fast you can feed parts of the beatmap into your reading buffer is determined by your reading speed. Playing higher AR than you're used to requires you to increase your reading speed, but playing lower AR than you're used to requires you to expand your reading buffer.

Approach-circle reading vs. conductor reading
I just said that playing lower AR requires you to expand your reading buffer. That was a lie, sorry. What I meant is that you need to expand your reading buffer unless you read based on approach circles. For example, you could play AR 2 by looking at the approach circles for when to hit the next object, and this doesn't require you to have more than a single circle in mind at any point in time. So it's possible to read lower AR without a large reading buffer.

But! I think reading based on approach circle is really inefficient for higher star ratings. We all have to start out by reading based on approach circles, but as we get better, we instead want to learn to read based on rhythm sense and the sequence at which the circles appear. For example, if you see two circles appearing within a short time interval, you'll know that you're supposed to click them within an equally short time interval. I'm going to call this conductor reading for now, because conductors of orchestras have to gesture the dynamics of the music before the orchestra plays it.

When you start out in osu!, almost all your reading will be based on AC reading (approach-circle reading). Conductor-reading everything below AR 8 requires a bigger reading buffer than new players can be expected to have. But once you get comfortable with AR 8 and above, your brain will automatically learn to conductor-read more and more and AC-read less and less, simply because conductor reading is more efficient. You won't notice this happening unless you know to look for it.

A good way to transition from AC reading to conductor reading is by first increasing your reading speed enough to play AR 8 or 9, and then try playing with HD. HD requires you to conductor-read since there are no approach circles. You'll notice that AR 8 with HD is more difficult than AR 9 with HD if you're already comfortable with nomod AR 9 and 8. This is because conductor-reading lower AR is more difficult due to requiring a larger reading buffer.

Also, I should mention that expanding your reading buffer enough to read AR 8 with HD is not just good for reading AR 8 with HD, it also helps with reading in general, so you should be better able to read technical maps at AR 9 for example. And it should help you read higher bpm AR 9 maps, because in general, the higher bpm a beatmap is, the more circles are displayed on the screen at once.

Learning to conductor-read higher or lower AR
If you want to read beatmaps with higher AR than you're used to, you'll need higher reading speed, and that's simply a matter of playing higher AR than you're used to. I wouldn't recommend pushing yourself too much to read AR much higher than what you're used to, because you still need to enjoy playing it, otherwise you'll end up practicing less.

mulraf wrote:

you can take it a bit slower by learning ar's in between.
If you want to conductor-read beatmaps with lower AR than you're used to, however, playing much lower AR than you're used to could be inefficient because you're just transitioning to AC-reading instead of growing your reading buffer. If you start out being comfortable at AR 9 but you can't play AR 8, going straight to practicing AR 7 will probably just end up with you AC-reading a lot of it. Using HD will remedy this, but reading AR 7 HD may be too hard before you can read AR 8 HD. Remember, you have to have fun at the same time, otherwise you'll lose interest.

So I recommend getting good at AR 8 before trying AR 7, and that will make it easier to growing your reading buffer all the time.

...TL;DR play more?
Why say 'play more' when you can just say a bunch of useless shit just so OP would think you put some effort into answering his question
Well played