forum

Fall 2017 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
It's that time again, the time to post how great or terrible you think a series is!

Use these colours when posting:
Green for liked
Blue for neutral
Red for disliked

(Not in the mood to make/maintain spreadsheets/forms these days, so that won't be in the op this time unless someone wants to go and make them.)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
With 2 powerhouses this season (SSLL s2 and osomatsu s2), I'm fairly sure most other studios are not going to try hard to compete for market-share, but we'll see.

Black Clover: The epitome of modern shonen, having almost every cliche imaginable, to the point that it is near painful to watch this. However, with that said, it is usually animated fairly well, until you see some of the CG and lackluster attack magic. For those that don't mind seeing the manga at a much much slower pace and okay with such a setup, it will probably be a solid watch. On the other hand, extended exposure to some of these cliches will make this a hard sell with others.

Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara: Not a fan of alchohol talk, and this show doesn't really have anything else.

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara: While things to look like they improved since I last watched it, it still has plenty of super low budget empty backgrounds, terrible CG, and what not. Watching this is definitely not for me.

Juuni Taisen: So an action-based dark killing game with a fairly predictable first episode. Nothing new or original, but it interesting enough to watch for another episode

Sengoku Night Blood: Reverse Harem.... Reverse Harem with lackluster animations.... Bland Reverse Harem with lackluster animations... Bland Reverse Harem with lackluster animations, furries, and vampires.... this show definitely isn't for me.

UQ Holder!: Yay, yet another low budget shonen manga adaptation. I guess I can't get myself excited to watch something that doesn't seem to add anything I care for to the original manga form.

Osomatsu-san 2: The series's humor never really appealed to me, and the artstyle doesn't help me in the slightest.

Konohana Kitan: A moe SoL in an inn, but it is incredibly boring imo. I don't recall laughing at all while watching it.

Tsukipro The Animation: Another boring bishonen show.

URAHARA: Oh yay, a boring low budget mahou shoujo

Ousama Game The Animation: One of the most absurd death games I've seen. I skimmed through the first game, and really disliked it. The anime does the 2nd game, and it really doesn't seem do anything better. Mediocre animations and details don't make this any better.
Green Platinum
Don't even know why you bother making the thread in the first place. Doesn't help anybody find what's good each season.
Kyonko Hizara
tbh I didn't feel like setting up the sheet either, I was about to do it until I saw the whole 4 people (one of them me) that used the chart for last season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe next season I'll make the chart again but noooooot this one

UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2: I wanted to have some hope for this considering I do like the original series, but this mostly seems like it's meant to cash in on the popularity of the original rather than add any meat to it. Might keep watching this for the sake of the series, however I won't be surprised if I drop this in the next couple episodes. It was slow, weird, and you probably could watch the next episode and it make sense without this one.

Black Clover: So this is the anticipated anime of the season? Maybe if you've read the manga it would be a good watch, but I have not yet so I'm not seeing the appeal of this. Too slow, any of the magic scenes look weird, cliche boy who randomly gains his magic powers.

Juuni Taisen: The better of the two, and more believable in a fantasy aspect, of this season. Seems interesting enough that I'll keep watching it for now.

Konohana Kitan: It's like some Otome Youkai Zakuro meets Urara Meirochou minus the dark shit. This personally appeals to my cute inn-style and kemonomimi senses. Unless it's your aesthetic or fetish, probably not worth watching.

URAHARA: Maybe I could like this if the animation wasn't terrible, the characters weren't annoying, and overall makes no sense. The style seemed interesting but it has nothing outside of that.

Just Because!: Seems like a feel-good romance series about students with little time left to get their school shit done. It gives an alright feeling so I'll give it a couple more episodes before I decide if I'll drop it.

Ousama Game The Animation: wow a better comedy than a killing game
[ Pingu ]
Osomatsu-san 2: Despite myself being having the reaction of 'meh' on the first episode, I have high hopes for future episodes. Really liked the humor in the first season of Osomatsu-san. (jyushi girl btw)

URAHARA: I like the cute style they were going for, but the animation itself is...not fantastic. Seems kinda boring too. Just a pretty crap magical girl show.

PINGU IN THE CITY10/10 would childhood again
Justykanna

Green Platinum wrote:

Don't even know why you bother making the thread in the first place. Doesn't help anybody find what's good each season.
I normally check (and use) them but this season just looks so lackluster to me. Also, not everyone who puts their first impressions here puts it into the chart either.
It's also nice to see how much people like a series since I'm not part of anime community or other forums, threats, etc.

So I, personally, like that there's still a threat being created, chart or not. Not like the thread itself is much work. This is a forum after all.
DakeDekaane
This season looks kind of interesting for me due all those "sci-fi" and "mystery" anime, not having high expectatives due all not-so-interesting anime from Summer (except for 4-5). I usually stalk this kind of thread in case some people watches some shows I'm interested so I can safely either drop it or even come with some other anime to watch =w=
Green Platinum
Considering stuff like Kakegurui and Aho-girl garnered more praise than Made in Abyss here last season it seems like a bad measure for quality. If only we had people keen to review stuff they had seen instead of episode one speculators but maybe that sentiment is just salt from my failed attempt at an old anime thread.

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2: I wanted to have some hope for this considering I do like the original series, but this mostly seems like it's meant to cash in on the popularity of the original rather than add any meat to it. Might keep watching this for the sake of the series, however I won't be surprised if I drop this in the next couple episodes. It was slow, weird, and you probably could watch the next episode and it make sense without this one.
Does Negima even still have a following anymore? Guess just not in the west. Will need to check if it still has the aspects I like about it.
Kategawa
Gintama: Always laughing... still the best anime (my opinion)

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond: I Love anime like this, good graphic, comedy is number 1!!

Juuni Taisen: is that ghoul? wwwwwww

Ousama Game The Animation: -_-"

Umaru Season 2: : the best nichijou !!
NicoHolic777
Animegataris: That whole lot of anime references LOL. THE MELANCHOLY OF HAPPY VUVUZELA!!!! And a talking cat. MC is cute. It seems not too bad for me. The comedy is okay. Let's see where it goes.

Himouto! Umaru-chan R: Whynaut? Still, if you liked season 1, you'll like this. If not, then skip it.
EneT
Only Anime worth watching this season is The Ancient Magus' Bride. Kore Yamazaki is one of my most favourite manga authors so I really look forward to it and leaves me hoping for a future Frau Faust Anime adaptation. Not colour ranking it because I always have mixed feelings when I watch an Anime adaptation of a manga I'm a fan of.

All the other Anime I looked at were shite or mediocre at best:

Juuni Taisen: Battle Royale clone. It's animated by Graphinica so the fighting animation is probably going to be good along the line but other than that it's just one of those anime you watch to fill the silence, like when you're eating or something.

Ousama Game: Another Battle Royale clone but even more shite. Thought it would be decent enough since the main character is voiced by Mamoru Miyano but every time people have tried to replicate this Mirai Nikki type of shit it always ends up in failure.

Just Because: I don't know how to feel about this after only watching the first episode. Only decided to watch it because it's an anime original and I'm a sucker for anime originals. I'll continue watching it though since it is an anime original.

Himouto! Umaru-chan R: Same as the first season. Is it bad? no. Is it good? no, but it doesn't piss me off like most other anime do and it puts a smile to my face and that's good enough for me. It's sometimes fine to settle for mediocrity.

That's all I've watched. There are alot of second seasons that I can't be bothered to watch since I haven't watched the first seasons and none of the premises of the other anime have interested me enough to watch them. I wanted to watch Inuyashiki actually but the CG in the preview turned me off so I decided not to and I might watch URAHARA in the future since it just sounds like nonsensical fun which you can just turn your brain off and watch but I probably won't watch it until the season is over.
Kyonko Hizara
I think I've watched everything now that I want to that is airing within the month? There's one more thing that doesn't have an episode until next month but whatever

Inuyashiki: The best way to describe this is that it is Parasyte, but instead with mechanical parts. This grabbed me literally from the very beginning since I really liked the op. For anyone that likes psychological series, then this a good pick for the season with that.

Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shojo Bitch na Ken: Plotless ecchi about a girl who needs the dick

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou: This one was quite enjoyable to watch, although for the most part it is slow and dark. I think this is a good series that you can just relax and watch. The animation of the characters is simple, but the environments of the buildings and machinery is interesting.

Kino no Tabi -the Beautiful World- the Animated Series: The gimmick of the talking motorcycle kills this a lot for me. Even being aware of it, when the voice comes out of nowhere, it always throws me off. Seems like this is going to be a "new adventure each episode" type of series. The pacing is not that steady, and some parts that I would have liked to see more get rushed so there can be more time of the main character talking to his motorcycle.

Net-juu no Susume: I could say I think it's okay, but half of the time I realise I'm looking away and doing something else. It's pretty much just people who meet in a game that are fated to meet irl, and that's not even a spoiler with how all of the preview photos and the op are. The plot is really basic for that, and not even done that well.

Dies irae: just what...If I wanted some basic plot german nazi war anime I'd rather watch Schwarzesmarken so that's kinda sad

GARO -VANISHING LINE-: I probably needed to watch the series that this stems from to like it more, but taking it for how it is, the animation was bad and it overall tried too hard to be dark and edgy.

Code:Realize - Sousei no Himegimi: I feel like this is mostly meant to be for people that have already played the game, so I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, but the animation is enjoyable to look at and so far it seems like it could go somewhere.

Houseki no Kuni: The sci-fi (I guess you could say) and immortality take on this is interesting. The designs for the characters is simple, but I like how their hair and faces is the most distinct part about them. I have not read the source material, so I can't tell where the plot is going, but I like it enough so far to be interested in where this is going. Unfortunately, trying to describe this to anyone always gets the reaction of if it is a SU knockoff.

3-gatsu no Lion 2: It's good if you watched and liked the first season.

Two Car: A different take on something from the sports genre, although the plot does not seem to be moving anywhere. Seems like it is more so going to be a life lesson on trust and friendship.

Blend S:Pretty cute, but the weeaboo concept and foreign fetish stuff is kind of cringy.

Mahoutsukai no Yome: I'm surprised the hype for this one actually makes sense. Particularly I like the environments and I am invested in the characters enough already and want to see how the bond between them grows.

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond: Another liked since it seems to be holding up with the 1st season.

Anime-Gataris: It's cute, but kind of seems like Gamers! from last season but with anime and a different gimmick.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau: This is very different from what I was expecting it to be. The cast of characters seems alright so far, but I don't want to get attached to anyone since this seems like a series where everyone will die in the end.
EneT
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko: This was a surprising treat to watch. I have only watched the 1st episode so far but I will definitely be updating myself on this series when I have time. The intro to the 1st episode is probably one of the best intros to an anime I have seen in a while; nothing is said but so much is told. The two girls riding their tank thingy in complete darkness with just one light and nothing in the screen but the girls' art styles standing out sends a very heart-warming message that I feel will summarise the whole point to this series: You can find happiness and innocent lightheartedness in even the darkest of places/situations. The contrasting art styles of the setting and the girls is great; if this anime was any more darker or any more moe I would have probably not watched the entire episode, but since it's only the girls who are cutesy and it's only the setting that is dark, it really does send the message that I had mentioned. I hope this anime won't have any dark twist or anything and that it stays the way it is. Unlike The Ancient Magus Bride which showcases the beauty of the world, this anime focuses on showing the beauty and resilience of people and how beautiful (and cruel) the world can be through their eyes despite living in a post-apocalyptic era, and I like it for that.
Lastopia
Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara: I am Otaku like everyone else here.
However, the number of Anime I have seen isn't that many. Also. I haven't seen many famous animes. (Like Naruto and Fate series.)

So with these short running times, Anime always comes to me with a new feeling.
And I'm actually having fun with this Anime ~ = w =
Faust
Girls Last Tour:

This show is a treat to watch. I always enjoy when the pacing and storytelling match well.
Reminds me of another favorite of mine, So Ra No Wo To, which has similar themes.
EneT

Faust wrote:

This show is a treat to watch.
Wait a minute...

EneT wrote:

This was a surprising treat to watch.
Wait a minute...

I'm dropping this overly cliché phrase from now on...
Shurelia
Let's seeeeee
  1. Gintama : It's Gintama.
  2. Himouto! Umaru-chan R : Uuuh, I don't know if I'm going to be able to sit and watching NEET girls doing whatever she please while her brother work shitton for her. xD
  3. Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyokina, Mondaiji. : The first episode only took like 3 minutes , what. Quite a chance that I'm going to drop this one.
  4. Imouto sae Ireba Ii. : Why the hell, I even bother with this one? , And how the hell japan managed to create something worse than Eromanga? Like, Why?
  5. Blend S : Working!!! but with more memes and stupid plots? Nice try.
  6. Mahoutsukai no Yome : This actually for female watcher, I think. Since I myself prefer a monster girl instead monster man but romance side seems good might be worth it
  7. Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series : Still finding this thing is quite mysterious for me but let's just see.
  8. Net-juu no Susume : Aaah, Finally a romance themed story with a "proper" adult characters. Love the character design but the story is actually pretty normal but I still find this kind of stuff an amusement for me so definitely gonna see how things ends.
  9. Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na : huh.
  10. Inuyashiki : Love the jokes and the adult themed drawing.
Faust

EneT wrote:

Faust wrote:

This show is a treat to watch.
Wait a minute...

EneT wrote:

This was a surprising treat to watch.
Wait a minute...

I'm dropping this overly cliché phrase from now on...
Lol. I didn't even read yours.
Green Platinum

Faust wrote:

Lol. I didn't even read yours.
Reading other posts on OC.

EneT

Green Platinum wrote:

Considering stuff like Kakegurui and Aho-girl garnered more praise than Made in Abyss here last season it seems like a bad measure for quality. If only we had people keen to review stuff they had seen instead of episode one speculators but maybe that sentiment is just salt from my failed attempt at an old anime thread.
Late response since I've only just found the time to complete the anime recently. Despite Made in Abyss potentially becoming one of my most favourite anime if it ever continues and finishes, it was quite understandable that those two garnered more praise for a 'first impressions' thread since the first 3 episodes of MiA were sub-par and uninteresting as hell. Watching through those first few episodes, the only two characters I cared about were Riko and Reg; every other character introduced atop the abyss was pretty much irrelevant and was just there to add a sense of distance and longing for Riko the further she traversed. It did pay off in the end since it did add more risk and emotion to the more 'bloody' parts but during the time I was watching those first 3 episodes I really wished that they didn't have to waste my time with all that needless junk. It's as if you had Alice in Wonderland but before Alice got into wonderland they spend way too much time introducing the characters and setting outside of wonderland who don't even matter. You can simply do that in wonderland with a random character asking Alice about herself and the world outside. Maybe could have made Nanashi do it; that bunny barely had a human life. The interesting part of Alice in Wonderland is wonderland; no one cares for the world outside and that applied to MiA. The story of Riko searching for her mother didn't appeal to me at first too; what ultimately got me interested was that her mother was in the bottom of the abyss and getting to the bottom of the abyss meant exploring it in it's entirety (also Maaya Sakamoto is my favourite Seiyuu so that helped too).

tl;dr Made in Abyss took like 5 episodes to ramp up and that's not accounted for in a 'first impressions' thread.

In topic:
Net-juu no Susume: I wasn't planning to watch this but the opening got me. Damn opening
show more