forum

Do You Feel Guilty When You Get "Easy PP" From Maps?

posted
Total Posts

Do you personally farm "easy PP" maps?

Yes, I have no shame or just don't care.
38.17%
Sometimes
41.49%
No, I don't associate with filth.
20.33%
Total votes: 241
Topic Starter
Manfred
When I say "easy pp" I mean maps you can quickly FC, or farm very fast because they're no more than 30 seconds in length. You know, the 400 Granat maps, Cookie Butter, Sweet Neko, TATOE, Can you understand me and the list goes on. My 2 highest PP plays are these types of maps and looking back I feel guilty about getting scores on these maps or even trying these maps more than even once. I try to avoid the top 5 most played beatmaps of the month like the plague, because they're the type of stuff I want to get away from (except Get Jinxed because I like the song too much.)

I feel guilty like this cat, and the person filming is the smarter part of my conscious. I play these maps and just step back and look at what I'm doing and feel dirty for it.

HDDT farming is a bit different, for me getting a high accuracy DT score can be difficult and feel KIND of like I deserve the PP I got for it, but not always. I mostly mean nomoding the aforementioned maps at my skill level is still dirty.

Do I shrug off this mindset, and farm away and not give a fuck? OR should I just stick to what I do now and slowly dwindle in rank? Neither really feel good, because as I watch my rank decline I feel like I have to farm, but then I farm and then feel guilty about it. By farm I mean try these maps a few times, get pp higher than I feel like I deserve for it and ask "How? Why?" I understand I'm dealing with chump PP here, but at my rank if I continued to farm I feel I could rise quick, and undeserving. I can't really find a nice middle ground of enjoyable maps, and rank progression. Both correlate with each other more than I'd like them to. As much as I'd love to FC stuff like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/594121 or anything over the length of 3 minutes(if it's above 4.8*) I just can't.

Also relevant
Akanagi
I can't even get the "easy" pp.
Kxxtos
EZ PP is dumb af. But at the same time when my friends who don't play osu see me farm dt and are impressed, I must be using at least a little bit of skill. My top plays are cringe af they're like all dt farm maps but honestly its fun to play a hard 30 second map rather than a 3 minute map and shitmiss so many times I can't fc.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Rayne wrote:

I can't even get the "easy" pp.
I feel your pain.

Im Yoona wrote:

EZ PP is dumb af. But at the same time when my friends who don't play osu see me farm dt and are impressed, I must be using at least a little bit of skill. My top plays are cringe af they're like all dt farm maps but honestly its fun to play a hard 30 second map rather than a 3 minute map and shitmiss so many times I can't fc.
I can only feel so demotivated so many times after getting 800/1000 combo and getting 60pp(weighted to 1) for it. At least when I play unranked I don't have to care about that.
Kyrari
I'm pretty overranked by farming some maps I think are "easy PP" but there's no reason for me to feel bad about them. What's so wrong about using the same map everyone else is farming from? If you have enough skills to farm them then go for it, and if you don't then keep retrying and hope for a lucky shot just practice until you can do it.

Though honestly length has no factor in how easy a map is to get PP from, I used to find Best Friend's short version much harder than the full version because the short one has more intense jumps while the longer version is relatively more calmer and they're both the same star rating.

Think my current mindset is "not really caring but if I can get more PP then why not".

edit: also what edgar said
Topic Starter
Manfred

VanillaSandvich wrote:

I'm pretty overranked by farming some maps I think are "easy PP" but there's no reason for me to feel bad about them. What's so wrong about using the same map everyone else is farming from? If you have enough skills to farm them then go for it, and if you don't then keep retrying and hope for a lucky shot just practice until you can do it.

Though honestly length has no factor in how easy a map is to get PP from, I used to find Best Friend's short version much harder than the full version because the short one has more intense jumps while the longer version is relatively more calmer and they're both the same star rating.

Think my current mindset is "not really caring but if I can get more PP then why not".
I feel like I should care how I got it. My best way to compare it is you can go to the store and buy yourself a pack of gum, or you can ask someone for a piece. It's like a handout we're given because even though people aren't screaming "GIVE US MORE PP MAPS" we just get them now because that often results in them being played more, which is what the mapper wants (I imagine.) Asking for a piece is easy enough, but earning the money to buy your own is better. (I know it's not hard to buy gum, it's just my shitty metaphor.)
Kyrari

Manfred wrote:

I feel like I should care how I got it. My best way to compare it is you can go to the store and buy yourself a pack of gum, or you can ask someone for a piece. It's like a handout we're given because even though people aren't screaming "GIVE US MORE PP MAPS" we just get them now because that often results in them being played more, which is what the mapper wants (I imagine.) Asking for a piece is easy enough, but earning the money to buy your own is better. (I know it's not hard to buy gum, it's just my shitty metaphor.)
More like the store is giving gum at a discounted price but you still want to buy the gum at full price :P

Just don't stress that much over whether getting PP is illegal or not and whether you should feel bad or not tbh, it's just a game after all.
If you feel like you're at a good enough rank and doesn't really want to farm and avoids these types of maps then that's pretty fine imo. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying/playing the game.
worst fl player
pretty painful smh
Topic Starter
Manfred

L-a-m-e-y [ B ] wrote:

pretty painful smh
Don't sell yourself short, FL is dumb and hard AF for me. I'd fuckup on the tutorial slider with FL on, that's how crazy it is for me. So both your tops plays with FL and HD ain't too bad.
7ambda
I can't relate anymore

Sorry
Edgar_Figaro
Personally I am of the mindset that I wish everyone farmed PP maps.

Why you may ask? Well the current weighting system is broken and some maps give way more than they should and others give way less. If we want to have an "accurate" ranking system then the closest we could get to that is for everyone to go out and farm the easy PP. You won't ever be able to completely balance the system, and people abstaining from farming these maps are just artifically trying to keep their rank lower than it should be.

Sure you can look cool in multiplayer when you can beat higher rank players as your skill is much higher than your rank, but I kinda would just prefer if the amount of PP you had was almost indicative of the maps you were able to farm as it would give skill indication, albeit in a somewhat strange way.

Able to farm 100PP maps? Able to farm 150PP maps? ect.
N0thingSpecial
I lean towards the mindset that if I can do it sure why not

I did laugh uncontrollably when I got my current top play on hitorigoto cause it's legitimately retardedly overweighted
Barusamikosu
No shame here
Rynnavinx
I mean, if I play a map with ez pp, its probably because I like the song or the map. Unless its REALLY overweighted, I don't really care too much.
Pituophis
I'll farm maps when I can. I usually can't because no aim, no acc, and can't stream.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Radiant Rayv wrote:

I mean, if I play a map with ez pp, its probably because I like the song or the map. Unless its REALLY overweighted, I don't really care too much.
I can turn my favorite songs into my least favorite if I get tilted enough while farming it over and over. I used to love cYsmix feat. Emmy - Tear Rain, but now that I've been trying to FC it with DT, all I can associate it with me being pissed off.

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I lean towards the mindset that if I can do it sure why not

I did laugh uncontrollably when I got my current top play on hitorigoto cause it's legitimately retardedly overweighted
As soon as I get a score I felt was terrible, then see +500 +1000 rank etc, I can't help but laugh too. I've been having a dry run for the last 2 months, until
I got a shit score on Sweet Neko yesterday, still went up 400 ranks, laughed for a bit and then exited the game.

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Personally I am of the mindset that I wish everyone farmed PP maps.

Why you may ask? Well the current weighting system is broken and some maps give way more than they should and others give way less. If we want to have an "accurate" ranking system then the closest we could get to that is for everyone to go out and farm the easy PP. You won't ever be able to completely balance the system, and people abstaining from farming these maps are just artifically trying to keep their rank lower than it should be.

Sure you can look cool in multiplayer when you can beat higher rank players as your skill is much higher than your rank, but I kinda would just prefer if the amount of PP you had was almost indicative of the maps you were able to farm as it would give skill indication, albeit in a somewhat strange way.

Able to farm 100PP maps? Able to farm 150PP maps? ect.
I wish rank was more indicative of skill too. If this was a perfect game, that'd be possible but nothing is perfect. Maybe in the future the PP system will be better, I don't have high hopes though. I honestly wish accuracy was weighted more than it currently is. You could get a 99.95% HDHR A rank and not even break the top 200 of a maps scoring if that 0.05% was from 1 miss, and probably not get anything real amount of PP for it either. Imagine if marathon maps were the only map types to give PP, no one would have any at all unless they could FC 15+ minute maps.
E m i
that's not how it works for me because i'm inconsistent and not clairvoyant, i don't know what will end up easy and what won't.

so i do feel bad that my pp has to come from aim farm which is my weakness, but i don't feel guilty because aim is randomization to me

i want to get pp from stuff i actually play but until then i will shamelessly farm jump spike maps with a good spacing to bpm ratio (for example choco butter choco cookie feels a lot harder than 6.6 stars for me because it's 204bpm and thus high spacing) whenever i feel like i have enough luck tokens in my inventory
worst fl player

Momiji wrote:

that's not how it works for me because i'm inconsistent and not clairvoyant, i don't know what will end up easy and what won't.

so i do feel bad that my pp has to come from aim farm which is my weakness, but i don't feel guilty because aim is randomization to me

i want to get pp from stuff i actually play but until then i will shamelessly farm jump spike maps with a good spacing to bpm ratio (for example choco butter choco cookie feels a lot harder than 6.6 stars for me because it's 204bpm and thus high spacing) whenever i feel like i have enough luck tokens in my inventory
C LO V E R1!
eyjafjallaaaaaa
Seeing my marathon HR FC PP count gets toppled by a 60 second map HDDT that I retries like 5 times to get it certainly makes me feels guilty. Now my top play is one of those map too. I'm not very happy about it. Although, I think I deserves every bit of pp I get from these maps since I FC those with my own skills. If the system says 60 seconds with accuracy is better than consistent 13 minute play then so be it.

Manfred wrote:

Do I shrug off this mindset, and farm away and not give a fuck? OR should I just stick to what I do now and slowly dwindle in rank? Neither really feel good, because as I watch my rank decline I feel like I have to farm, but then I farm and then feel guilty about it. By farm I mean try these maps a few times, get pp higher than I feel like I deserve for it and ask "How? Why?"

You have to answer to yourself on what keeps you playing this game and just go with it I think, seeing rank goes up or make some good plays (like passing very hard maps or fc challenging maps that does not necessarily gives you pp) or just simply enjoying the game.
chainpullz
Idk about feeling guilty but you should probably turn you computer off, go sit in a corner for an hour or two, and contemplate why it is that you measure your self worth by some ranking in a circle clicking game of all things.

Then when you've finished that perhaps you'll see it's silly to feel guilt or much of anything over something so meaningless.
show more