forum

Would you play Rhythm games with Story elements to it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
flowpoly
EDIT: Due to Endaris suggestion, I got rid of the link and I am asking a new question instead!

Would you guys play a rhythm game with story elements in it? Think of games like Firewatch/Abzu/Inside that instead of having their respective game mechanics, they use rhythm game elements.

Thanks in advance for commenting below!
Endaris
ehh
why would you create an account to advert a poll in a place where you can be 100% sure to get non-representative results?
Topic Starter
flowpoly

Endaris wrote:

ehh
why would you create an account to advert a poll in a place where you can be 100% sure to get non-representative results?
You're right Endaris, got rid of the previous question and added a new one. ;)
ColdTooth
What even was the previous question?

I think this would be interesting to say the least, I had an idea like this back in 2013, but it quickly got abandoned because I knew I wouldn't get into the video game industry. Seeing as things have changed...
Green Platinum
No, in rhythm games like that the story is always some half-assed afterthought that contributes nothing.
johnmedina999
Yes, it would be really fun, it wouldn't have to be deep like Inside. DanceDanceRevolution X (PS2 version) has a story mode and it's really fun. It expands on the character's personalities and cracks a good joke or three. Think of Puyo Puyo, it's a puzzle game series with fun characters and a quick plot. Rhythm games with story elements are a great idea.
Topic Starter
flowpoly

ColdTooth wrote:

I think this would be interesting to say the least, I had an idea like this back in 2013, but it quickly got abandoned because I knew I wouldn't get into the video game industry. Seeing as things have changed...
Hey! Its never too late to get into the industry :) I have met people in their late 30's get into the industry and do great!

Green Platinum wrote:

No, in rhythm games like that the story is always some half-assed afterthought that contributes nothing.
What if the story wasn't half-assed at all? I mean, I agree. Most rhythm games with a story element in it tend to have issues, but what if this wasn't the case? Would you find it appealing?

johnmedina999 wrote:

Yes, it would be really fun, it wouldn't have to be deep like Inside. DanceDanceRevolution X (PS2 version) has a story mode and it's really fun. It expands on the character's personalities and cracks a good joke or three. Think of Puyo Puyo, it's a puzzle game series with fun characters and a quick plot. Rhythm games with story elements are a great idea.
You're right! I totally forgot about DanceDanceRevolution's story mode. Yeah, I have noticed that rhythm games have been neglected lately. I mean, there was Crypt of the Necrodancer, but that was the last game within the genre that did well. At least in the past few years!
Endaris

ColdTooth wrote:

"would you play a rhythm game on pc?" :roll:
Topic Starter
flowpoly

Endaris wrote:

ColdTooth wrote:

"would you play a rhythm game on pc?" :roll:
Sorry missed that question! I was running a poll on Twitter to see how many people enjoy rhythm games on PC. Then Endaris pointed out that the answers would be biased if I got people from here to vote so I removed the link! :D
DJ Enetro
I think the only game that fits these requirements that I would play is Lanota.

It's unique, and on-going. Too bad it costs $2.99 on the App Store...
_sparky_

DJ Enetro wrote:

I think the only game that fits these requirements that I would play is Lanota.

It's unique, and on-going. Too bad it costs $2.99 on the App Store...
What about Deemo?

Haven't played it myself but I heard it has a story.
DJ Enetro
I did research but it's kinda too similar to mania. One reason why I prefer Neon FM.
silmarilen
kai99
lanota and deemo <3 i bought both lo l
Ryu Sei
Something like Lincle Link?
keremaru
i would, if there was a ladder to the song difficulties and the story was well-driven and gripping.