forum

Don't Buy A Wacom

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuuki Konno
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've hated owning a Wacom Tablet.

This thing is full of inconsistent gameplay, bugs, and driver issues. I've had to reset my driver so many times I literally cannot count, I would guess at least 30. However, there would be a saving grace for Wacom if they had worked on it at all. They made a function where you can save your settings in case this exact event happens, which they wouldn't need if your drivers didn't break so often. Although, this save settings hasn't worked for me at all. I've tried it numerous times and just decided to write down my settings on a piece of paper and pray it doesn't get lost.

The tablet also has a function which allows you to choose the area of the tablet you play on. However, Wacom often doesn't recognize that osu is tabbed in so the area glitches out. That doesn't happen too often, but there's another thing that does. I've had to reset my computer countless times because the Wacom Desktop Center doesn't recognize that my tablet is tabbed in. So, it doesn't send any of settings to my tablet.

I'm not here to complain, this is an incredibly 1rst world problem. I'm here to tell you that if you are going to buy a tablet you should look at other brands. Perhaps this is just my problems, so feel free to comment below if you did or didn't have any problems.

Also, just a tip to any players that are at/above 6* gameplay, I wouldn't recommend switching to tablet. It takes a long time to get used to once you are so in depth on mouse.
Nathanael
Wacom (a brand name) has a variety of tablets so you should mention what model you're referring to unless you're a rich person that bought all tablets. As for their Desktop Center, it depends on your device I think. I have no problems with my tablet here (Intuos, CTH-480).

These tablets are not really recommended for gaming unless mainly used for graphics purposes such as drawing.
Faye

Yuuki Konno wrote:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've hated owning a Wacom Tablet.

This thing is full of inconsistent gameplay, bugs, and driver issues. I've had to reset my driver so many times I literally cannot count, I would guess at least 30. However, there would be a saving grace for Wacom if they had worked on it at all. They made a function where you can save your settings in case this exact event happens, which they wouldn't need if your drivers didn't break so often. Although, this save settings hasn't worked for me at all. I've tried it numerous times and just decided to write down my settings on a piece of paper and pray it doesn't get lost.

The tablet also has a function which allows you to choose the area of the tablet you play on. However, Wacom often doesn't recognize that osu is tabbed in so the area glitches out. That doesn't happen too often, but there's another thing that does. I've had to reset my computer countless times because the Wacom Desktop Center doesn't recognize that my tablet is tabbed in. So, it doesn't send any of settings to my tablet.

I'm not here to complain, this is an incredibly 1rst world problem. I'm here to tell you that if you are going to buy a tablet you should look at other brands. Perhaps this is just my problems, so feel free to comment below if you did or didn't have any problems.

Also, just a tip to any players that are at/above 6* gameplay, I wouldn't recommend switching to tablet. It takes a long time to get used to once you are so in depth on mouse.
This is great an all, but Wacom is simply a brand - including the model might be a good choice as to know which tablets are avoidable.
Personally I'm planning on getting a Huion 420 + rechargeable pen (Huion P80) as I'm only ever gonna use it for Osu and maybe a couple sketches.
Oh, and thanks for the tip - but honestly I believe it's good to try both ends of the controls regardless of skill. That's just my opinion though.
zooibadooi
I use a Wacom Intuos Draw, and it works just fine. It's one of the cheapest on Amazon, I'd suggest you consider getting that?
Aurani
I have owned two Wacom tablets since 2013 - the Intuos Manga and the Cintiq 13HD and they have NEVER shown ANY signs of malfunction.

I believe your problem is specific to you, so I wouldn't go around posting topics that discourage people from ever buying one prior to checking if the problem is local or indeed something many people have in common.
vozzurg
Yeah, I have CTL-480 and sometimes driver stops working. That's annoying.
BTW my friend using CTH-690AB for osu! and everything works perfect. :roll:
Saunamaisteri

zooibadooi wrote:

I use a Wacom Intuos Draw, and it works just fine. It's one of the cheapest on Amazon, I'd suggest you consider getting that?
Wacom intuos draw (aka ctl-490) has major issues with input lag. I can confirm this since I've been using one for over 1.5 years and after realizing this it made me to order ctl-480. Ctl-490 input lag can be fixed by using tape for example to hold the pen nib down. But for long term use I suggest getting a ctl-480.
Shoy
I have an Intuos Manga (aka CTH-480), got few problems at the beginning.
After a full reset, uninstall/reinstall, updated drivers, it's working well.
MalcoraX
I've been using the same tablet since the beginning of 2013, the Wacom Bamboo CTH-470. While on my old PC it has had a few occasional driver crashes (which could easily be fixed) it hasn't once had any issues on my new one which I've had since 2014. Only the cable is a bit short and I have to manually disable the touch function almost every time I restart my computer which is a useless feature anyway.
Mantis
Hello. I use Wacom tablets since 2011. My first, CTL-460 (Bamboo Pen) is working excellent for today. Except for driver problems on Windows 7 (pen pressure, I use special utility for this). I haven't problems in osu with it. Since this year I use CTL-671 (One M) because of larger tablet area. Suddenly, I have some problems with pen pressure.
And I also have a PTK-640 (Intuos4 M) but without pen. In Russia it's too expensive.

I think that Wacom tablets is positioned for digital art, I don't know how it good for games. :?

...and sometimes I used Google Translate because I need to improve my English. :oops: :roll:
Velura

Yuuki Konno wrote:

]I know I'm in the minority here, but I've hated owning a Wacom Tablet.

On the topic of "inconsistent gameplay, bugs, and driver issues": I wasn't at all able to find any of these issues with my tablet (CTH-480). I installed the driver, and never had any issues with it whatsoever, neither with the tablet recognizing which program was running and adjusting the tablet area accordingly nor the settings not being saved properly which would have resulted in writing them down somewhere else, as you have mentioned.

Yuuki Konno wrote:

I'm here to tell you that if you are going to buy a tablet you should look at other brands.
I'm not quite sure, but unless you are buying a tablet that is specifically advertising its function for osu! then I don't see why this would be an issue since graphic/drawing tablets aren't, or at the very least in wacoms' case, designed to be used with osu! Also, this might be confirmation bias and not actual proof so take it with a grain of salt, most top (tablet) players use some sort of Wacom tablet, be it the Bamboo or CTL/CTH-480 so I wouldn't say that their functionality is in any way sub-par to other brands necessarily.

TL;DR: You might have just gotten unlucky with your tablet and got a somewhat damaged one or just didn't properly look into what was causing the issues you were having (I don't mean to offend you with this so don't take it the wrong way :o )
veuino
oba gooby
Topic Starter
Yuuki Konno
Sorry for my absence on this post. I have been mainly mapping and playing less osu since I haven't been able to get back to my normal consistency.

Firstly, I'de like to say that many people have been referring to this problem as one just I have. However, out of the four friends that I have talked to about their tablets, 3 have said they experienced the same issue as me. I'm not saying it's a problem %75 of users have, but it clearly is a persisting problem.

Secondly, I have a Intuos PT M and my friends have either the same tablet, or one experienced the same problems with the Intuos PT S.

Also, if you recommended that I buy a new tablet, that is the point of this post. If a brand is so poorly made and unreliable that I have to buy two or three of their products to find just one that works, clearly I would never recommend that brand to another person.

Finally, if you want a tablet, feel free to buy one. I highly recommend that newer users do so. (In the article I simply said I regret doing so at a high * difficulty.)
However, I would not recommend Wacom based on my friends' and my own experiences. I'm sure that there are more reliable brands out there with better customer service and better software.

This problem has actually made me stop playing osu all together. I only map now, which seems like grounds for a post to me...
Also, this problem has been ongoing for months of continual software updates that don't work. This has not only been going on for 9 days.
Flanster
Sometimes updating to newest version doesn't always mean best results.
Get an older driver that works and stick to it.
Topic Starter
Yuuki Konno
wacom auto-updates my drivers then they break...
Flanster
Don't have any wacom hardware so unaware of the process of the software. But theres always a way to disable updating.