forum

Reol Feat. Will Stetson - No Title (but its a fifteen part s

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dogerinoo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mitchell Gwr
I'll be perfectly honest with you, I can't mod give this map a standard mod.

Fist of all, the map doesn't really follow the song at all, for a 4.5 star song. You've strongly followed the background rather than utilising the more prominent lyrics. Take for example this segment:
00:10:342 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) - These sliders don't follow the lyrics, which would be acceptable if this map was a lower difficulty. For example you've followed the lyrics here though:
00:27:292 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

The way you've mapped this just comes down to lack of experience.
I'll point out another instant and massive flaw: press Ctrl+Shift+A. Here you'll see that you've got plenty of circles that aren't even snapped. Aside from those ones there are also plenty of hit circles and sliders that simply aren't in time. I don't know what's happened but somehow everything is off with the timing. I'd suggest moving the timing point offset to somewhere around 790 and going from there.
Anyway as I said, a lot of this comes down to experience with mapping. You've only made two maps; but as you go on to make more you will inevitably improve.

Things to focus on: timing the song correctly and;
following the song, and consistently.
Keep at it, and happy trails :)
Nokie-
Here from #modreqs :)

global
Timing

I would advise you to place the timing point on the first note you decide to map.
It should be at 00:05:578 -

Metadata

Tag some things relating to the song, so it's easier to find.

Misc

Disable countdown

Set fitting combo-colours

Insane
You still seem to have a lot to learn, so instead of giving you a tag for every object I'd place differently, I'll give you some general tips on how to improve parts of the map and (hopefully your mapping in general)

Rhythm

00:09:910 - Here is where vocals start, and you seem to be somewhat following them, but it is fairly unclear, because you omit a lot of the vocals. This may be okay on an easy difficulty, but considering this is an insane, it makes more sense to consequently follow the vocals.
Some of the ignored vocals are here 00:09:910 - 00:10:060 - 00:10:210 - 00:10:510 - 00:10:660 - 00:11:410 - 00:12:610 - ; you get the idea

00:10:360 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) - In case you were trying the sound still going on in the background, here's another tip. Try to follow those lines of music, that are more prominent. The vocals were just introduced and are more important now than what's going on in the backround.

Also 00:10:359 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6) - doesn't express the songs intesity well. The song just got a new layer of music, which is even more prominent then the last, yet the desity of rhythm is really low with a lot of 3/2 pauses.
Rhythmic density should express song intesity, and therefore this section should be more dense than the previous one.

Here are a few unrelated tips:
  • More important/stronger sounds should be played actively, by clicking a circle/slider, rather than passively by a slidertail.
    Use the same objects to express the same sounds; only change the placement of them.
    Sliders should represent held sounds, while circles express singular impacts.
Spacing

Your spacing seems to vary (within the same section) between values of 0.64x and welll above three, for no apparent reason.
Much like rhythmic density, spacing should be expressing the intesity of a song.
Spacing the way you did here feels very random, and doesn't really work in expressing this song.
Try to keep spacing consistent within the same section, and only change it up for less intense / more intense sounds.
Also, try to stay consistent in your use of spacing in all of the map, meaning you should create an order of intensity for the sections of your song, which your spacing then consistently follows. That means least intense section - lowest spacing / most intense section - highest spacing).

Keep in mind, that changing slider velocity also changes how much a spacing value x will space your objects. The higher the sv, the further will the same spacing value place your notes apart.

Aesthetic

I will not sugarcoat it. Aesthetically, this still has a long way to go. I am by no means an expert on aesthetics, and since you will have to change a lot of the map's objects anyways, giving timestamps and specific advice for each object will not be of use.

I'll instead link you a guide on how to make sliders look neat, which is an important part of map-aesthetic.

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/208596

Also, try to familiarize yourself with a few common jump patterns.
I do not have a guide for this right now (sorry :( ), so you'll either have to look it up yourself, or have a look at some of the ranked jumpy maps.

Flow

Again, not an expert but a few tips:

• Circular flow(going round in circles with your objects, duh). In most cases it is appropriate to use, and it feels good.
    Implied slidermovement. An object placed after a slider should follow the sliders curvature Here's a pic https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/9086116
    Sharp angles. When snapping, sharp angles feel a lot easier to snap to than wide angles.

Also try changing directions, or your flow in general over the course of the map. It becomes very dull, sometimes ever tiring or straining to move in the same direction all the time.

Last words

If you want to rank this, you're in for a lot of work. You'll probably have to remap this more than once.
You're still making a lot of mistakes with rhythmic choices, spacing and both aesthetic and flow need work.
I would not advise you to push for rank too hard with this one, since sometimes it can be better to let projects go, start something new and the come back at a later point, when you're more experienced.

I hope this mod helps you both with your map and your mapping in general.
Also I hope it was not too much text for you.
Enjoy game.
Topic Starter
Dogerinoo

Mitchell Gwr wrote:

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I can't mod give this map a standard mod.

Fist of all, the map doesn't really follow the song at all, for a 4.5 star song. You've strongly followed the background rather than utilising the more prominent lyrics. Take for example this segment:
00:10:342 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) - These sliders don't follow the lyrics, which would be acceptable if this map was a lower difficulty. For example you've followed the lyrics here though:
00:27:292 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

The way you've mapped this just comes down to lack of experience.
I'll point out another instant and massive flaw: press Ctrl+Shift+A. Here you'll see that you've got plenty of circles that aren't even snapped. Aside from those ones there are also plenty of hit circles and sliders that simply aren't in time. I don't know what's happened but somehow everything is off with the timing. I'd suggest moving the timing point offset to somewhere around 790 and going from there.
Anyway as I said, a lot of this comes down to experience with mapping. You've only made two maps; but as you go on to make more you will inevitably improve.

Things to focus on: timing the song correctly and;
following the song, and consistently.
Keep at it, and happy trails :)
thanks for mod!!! i changed the offset and tried to resnap the notes at 0.10 :)
Topic Starter
Dogerinoo

WasserIstGut wrote:

Here from #modreqs :)

global
Timing

I would advise you to place the timing point on the first note you decide to map.
It should be at 00:05:578 -

Metadata

Tag some things relating to the song, so it's easier to find.

Misc

Disable countdown

Set fitting combo-colours

Insane
You still seem to have a lot to learn, so instead of giving you a tag for every object I'd place differently, I'll give you some general tips on how to improve parts of the map and (hopefully your mapping in general)

Rhythm

00:09:910 - Here is where vocals start, and you seem to be somewhat following them, but it is fairly unclear, because you omit a lot of the vocals. This may be okay on an easy difficulty, but considering this is an insane, it makes more sense to consequently follow the vocals.
Some of the ignored vocals are here 00:09:910 - 00:10:060 - 00:10:210 - 00:10:510 - 00:10:660 - 00:11:410 - 00:12:610 - ; you get the idea

00:10:360 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4) - In case you were trying the sound still going on in the background, here's another tip. Try to follow those lines of music, that are more prominent. The vocals were just introduced and are more important now than what's going on in the backround.

Also 00:10:359 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,2,3,4,5,6) - doesn't express the songs intesity well. The song just got a new layer of music, which is even more prominent then the last, yet the desity of rhythm is really low with a lot of 3/2 pauses.
Rhythmic density should express song intesity, and therefore this section should be more dense than the previous one.

Here are a few unrelated tips:
  • More important/stronger sounds should be played actively, by clicking a circle/slider, rather than passively by a slidertail.
    Use the same objects to express the same sounds; only change the placement of them.
    Sliders should represent held sounds, while circles express singular impacts.
Spacing

Your spacing seems to vary (within the same section) between values of 0.64x and welll above three, for no apparent reason.
Much like rhythmic density, spacing should be expressing the intesity of a song.
Spacing the way you did here feels very random, and doesn't really work in expressing this song.
Try to keep spacing consistent within the same section, and only change it up for less intense / more intense sounds.
Also, try to stay consistent in your use of spacing in all of the map, meaning you should create an order of intensity for the sections of your song, which your spacing then consistently follows. That means least intense section - lowest spacing / most intense section - highest spacing).

Keep in mind, that changing slider velocity also changes how much a spacing value x will space your objects. The higher the sv, the further will the same spacing value place your notes apart.

Aesthetic

I will not sugarcoat it. Aesthetically, this still has a long way to go. I am by no means an expert on aesthetics, and since you will have to change a lot of the map's objects anyways, giving timestamps and specific advice for each object will not be of use.

I'll instead link you a guide on how to make sliders look neat, which is an important part of map-aesthetic.

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/208596

Also, try to familiarize yourself with a few common jump patterns.
I do not have a guide for this right now (sorry :( ), so you'll either have to look it up yourself, or have a look at some of the ranked jumpy maps.

Flow

Again, not an expert but a few tips:

• Circular flow(going round in circles with your objects, duh). In most cases it is appropriate to use, and it feels good.
    Implied slidermovement. An object placed after a slider should follow the sliders curvature Here's a pic https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/9086116
    Sharp angles. When snapping, sharp angles feel a lot easier to snap to than wide angles.

Also try changing directions, or your flow in general over the course of the map. It becomes very dull, sometimes ever tiring or straining to move in the same direction all the time.

Last words

If you want to rank this, you're in for a lot of work. You'll probably have to remap this more than once.
You're still making a lot of mistakes with rhythmic choices, spacing and both aesthetic and flow need work.
I would not advise you to push for rank too hard with this one, since sometimes it can be better to let projects go, start something new and the come back at a later point, when you're more experienced.

I hope this mod helps you both with your map and your mapping in general.
Also I hope it was not too much text for you.
Enjoy game.
haha it wasnt too much text, it was enough for me to change some notes and im now trying to change the note placement so that it would be more aesthetic :) thanks alot for feedback!!!
Lilynn
:shock: Hey! I talked to you briefly in PM.. thought I'd just run by the forum post and give you my two-cents on the whole thing.

So first things first: I really love your song choice.

I would try to avoid being so indiscriminate in your note placement, I understand that it's an pretty hard song to map with its timing signature and all... but I'd love to see a little more variation overall.

(I mean no offense in this statement) It kind of seems you're not really representing the song... the sounds your choose to represent are almost arbitrary and are generally undistinguished. 00:20:240 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) -

Also I'm assuming there was a timing change that happened and that you kind of just left everything untouched after it... I see a lot of objects misplaced on the timeline Ex; 01:06:742 (4) -

Try and represent the music through objects and motion, I see in this map your focusing on what seems like sounds more... however motion is just as important in standard... you can reflect the mood of the map with motion as well... for example a very high energy part of a map could be represented by fast sv and dramatic angles and curves; a part of a map that features high levels of emotion should reflect this with object placement and flow.

Also pitch, you could do this by representing higher notes with higher placement along the Y axis... and likewise for lower notes.

01:05:242 (5,7,8,9,1,2) - This kind of thing won't fly with anyone... it's drastically harder than the rest of the map and the AR makes actually landing those notes pretty brutal.

Try adding some custom colors! It goes a long way <3

also I noticed that you mapped this in what seems like 1/6th? I'm not really in the mood to check if Waltz is actually the correct signature on this one but it seems like 1/3rd would be all that you would need in the event of this truly being waltz... I could be SOOOO wrong on this though

Good job! And good luck <3
Topic Starter
Dogerinoo

Lilynn wrote:

:shock: Hey! I talked to you briefly in PM.. thought I'd just run by the forum post and give you my two-cents on the whole thing.

So first things first: I really love your song choice.

I would try to avoid being so indiscriminate in your note placement, I understand that it's an pretty hard song to map with its timing signature and all... but I'd love to see a little more variation overall.

(I mean no offense in this statement) It kind of seems you're not really representing the song... the sounds your choose to represent are almost arbitrary and are generally undistinguished. 00:20:240 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) -

Also I'm assuming there was a timing change that happened and that you kind of just left everything untouched after it... I see a lot of objects misplaced on the timeline Ex; 01:06:742 (4) -

Try and represent the music through objects and motion, I see in this map your focusing on what seems like sounds more... however motion is just as important in standard... you can reflect the mood of the map with motion as well... for example a very high energy part of a map could be represented by fast sv and dramatic angles and curves; a part of a map that features high levels of emotion should reflect this with object placement and flow.

Also pitch, you could do this by representing higher notes with higher placement along the Y axis... and likewise for lower notes.

01:05:242 (5,7,8,9,1,2) - This kind of thing won't fly with anyone... it's drastically harder than the rest of the map and the AR makes actually landing those notes pretty brutal.

Try adding some custom colors! It goes a long way <3

also I noticed that you mapped this in what seems like 1/6th? I'm not really in the mood to check if Waltz is actually the correct signature on this one but it seems like 1/3rd would be all that you would need in the event of this truly being waltz... I could be SOOOO wrong on this though

Good job! And good luck <3
thanks for the feedback! i changed the last part to a stream since i figured it would suit this difficulty better. i tried mapping in 1/3 at first, but some notes weren't synced properly with the music... ill try adding custom colors, not sure how that works though...
i appreciate the feedback :D
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.