forum

Animated osu! Cursors?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +35
Topic Starter
Swivelx
I've been trying to make an animated cursor for osu! for a while now with all the methods used to make animated back buttons/other UI features, but I've given up because I feel that it's literally impossible.
I think adding in support for Animated Cursors would be really cool for people who want to make some sick animated Cursors (I noticed no one has asked this before from what I was able to find)

P.S. If there is actually a way to animate cursors other than using "Cursor Rotate" then please let me know what that method is.
Nyanpura
Sorry I'm not quite sure how mapping works, but im not quite sure about the needs of an animated cursor. I'm ok with an animated hp bar but a cursor could be quite confusing when focusing on circles.

Also, im just wondering, does gif file works for cursor? So you can animate the gif file for a cursor i guess. But the main problem would be the cursor would seems pixelated and you're limited to a 256 colour animation.
Topic Starter
Swivelx
I tried using a .gif file for it, and it didn't work. I also tried naming different layers (cursor-0, cursor-1, and so on)

I've been going at this for quite a while and just figured it wasn't actually a feature
O2MasterFX
because it's distractive. It has no meaning for gameplay and the only reason if it's around that it's solely for enthusiast skinner who wants to create their skin up to the max level. Also not many people want it either. If you want to animate it, the best is cursor rotate.
Topic Starter
Swivelx

O2MasterFX wrote:

because it's distractive. It has no meaning for gameplay and the only reason if it's around that it's solely for enthusiast skinner who wants to create their skin up to the max level. Also not many people want it either. If you want to animate it, the best is cursor rotate.
Trust me, I know I'm the only person on this planet who has even thought about wanting Animated Cursors. I just thought it'd be nice.
But Animated Health Bars are also distracting, I honestly don't understand how the same methods for Animating Health Bars can't work for Cursors
Nyanpura
It could be useful in some more show-cast type of beat map, but im pretty sure that it wouldn't be used in some other beatmaps
well changing cursor maybe useful for aspire if done well enough
Alexkuzi
*lock*
Luqanted
agree. animated osu! cursors can be annoying and might be cringy if it gets too overused.
celestialfox
does this exist now?
like an animated one like the default cursor.
Zelzatter Zero

celestialfox wrote:

does this exist now?
like an animated one like the default cursor.
it's just spinning cursor using a static .png. It's not animated. It however doesn't as distractive as the one Op wanted, so the point still stands.
TchSeven
I come here years later, but I too, am curious to know if it's possible to make an animated cursor (cause I want one for my skin aha)
THAT_otaku
As you can see in the skinning wiki here: wiki/en/Skinning/Interface#cursor this is still not possible.

And it wont be until later in osu!lazer's developement, likely will never happen in stable because stable is feature locked.

@Swivelx my beloved if you still want this to be a thing have a look in the osu lazer github and see if there's a discussion for this yet, if not you can make one requesting this. https://github.com/ppy/osu/discussions