forum

How do I increase my consistency?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Marisare
I can read and pass maps up to about 6.1*, but I can't FC 4.4 - 4.9* maps because I will choke at seemingly simple, random times and finish with either 1-3 misses or a combo break...

I know the answer would probably be ''play more'', but is there a ''routine'' or a way in which I could just practice my consistency?

I guess I could play 4.something* maps with sudden death on, but that would eventually lead to a pen being flung all across the room.
honkers
playing 4 star maps at 1k pp lmaooo. Play things you can 99 acc and slowly ramp it up or you'll never be consistent
Celine
Going for sick passes give you bad habits tbh
Play more variety of maps on a level you can FC, or nearly FC, and don't retry, go for high accuracy scores with few tries :)
I started out trying to pass things I can't even 95%, then played retry simulator
I ended up being inconsistent and have horrendous reading capability, being a low pp moron with high amount of hours
Skeletroll
Have a huge list of maps at whatever star rating you can get high acc comfortably, and then strat playing each one only once, no retries.
KupcaH
Go to your comfortable zone maps and press F2.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Junipur wrote:

I can read and pass maps up to about 6.1*, but I can't FC 4.4 - 4.9* maps because I will choke at seemingly simple, random times and finish with either 1-3 misses or a combo break...

I know the answer would probably be ''play more'', but is there a ''routine'' or a way in which I could just practice my consistency?

I guess I could play 4.something* maps with sudden death on, but that would eventually lead to a pen being flung all across the room.
I had same problem and was 100% right hand grip fault.
kai99
go to 3.6-3.8*, i'd say
Ryoid
Mash your keyboard and Enjoy the game
vinnicci
Zedek117

honkers wrote:

playing 4 star maps at 1k pp lmaooo. Play things you can 99 acc and slowly ramp it up or you'll never be consistent
What's so crazy about 1k pp and 4 star maps? That's about the level I see most people with 1k pp play at.
Celine
Pretty sure I FCd some flat 4*s back when I was 1k flat
Ryoid
I was a 1k but i was starting to play 5*,is that wrong?
PriestRSC
I want to preface reading this that it sounds incredibly pretentious, and I apologize for it. I don't think I'm good by any means, and what I'm sharing below is from my own experience only. So take everything below with a grain of salt.

Ryoid wrote:

I was a 1k but i was starting to play 5*,is that wrong?
There's not really a right or a wrong way to play. If your favorite thing to do is pass maps, and you enjoy doing so, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

There are players who got exceptionally good very quickly doing that, but it is not the norm. I would suggest exactly as people in this thread have suggested, and trying to FC nomod maps with 99+ accuracy constantly. That's not to say ONLY do that, as I think that doesn't expand your comfort zone correctly.

Passing maps leads to bad habits, one of them being spamming. Take me for example, I want to pass this but when I get to the jump sections that are >15 notes in a row, I'm spamming the whole way.

There could be any number of reasons for this:
1.) My reading isn't up to par.
2.) The AR is too high for me (I don't think this and reading are mutually exclusive).
3.) The BPM is too high for me
4.) My aim isn't good enough
5.) I'm bad.

The problem, as I see it at least, is that I could never learn the skills required to combo those jump sections while trying to pass it unless I memorized the whole section (assuming my mechanical skills are good enough, which again is hard to tell when you're playing something 1.5-2* ratings above what you should be playing).

While all of this above is of interest to the OP, let me try to help out more with some blunt advice that may very well be wrong.

I would bet any amount of money you cannot read 6.1* maps. Mindlessly spamming your z and x while aiming loosely at a circle is not reading. If you could properly read them, you would be much more consistent with what you are playing now assuming you didn't lose your lower level reading.

Secondly, FC'ing general maps with 95% accuracy is NOTHING like FC'ing maps with 99% accuracy. One is much more difficult than the other. I was once told from a friend that FC'ing a map with 95% accuracy is luck. I don't fully believe this, but it does hold some weight.

If you want to improve your consistency, get a large mappool and spam your F2 key. Type the star rating around which you should be FC'ing: stars>3.5 stars<4.2

Do not retry, play until the end. Go on to the next map. Do this every day as a warmup, and your consistency will improve. Focus on FC'ing maps with 99% accuracy or more.
Deva

PriestRSC wrote:

I was once told from a friend that FC'ing a map with 95% accuracy is luck. I don't fully believe this, but it does hold some weight.
I have a friend who gets 90% FCs all the time and those are by no means luck. He is good at holding combo but his acc is shit. Think about that and how little sense what you just said makes.
Ryoid

Deva wrote:

PriestRSC wrote:

I was once told from a friend that FC'ing a map with 95% accuracy is luck. I don't fully believe this, but it does hold some weight.
I have a friend who gets 90% FCs all the time and those are by no means luck. He is good at holding combo but his acc is shit. Think about that and how little sense what you just said makes.
If i edit some of your post and strike some of them

PriestRSC

Deva wrote:

PriestRSC wrote:

I already told you I don't believe it. I believe it to an extent. I would be willing to bet on average, when you get a 90% FC you got very lucky. (exceptions include Ming for example)

It makes perfect sense. If you're consistently hitting the beat early/late you have a higher chance of missing the beat. So yes, it does make sense. Though it's not the defining factor, it does have merit.
Fxjlk

Junipur wrote:

There are 3 main reasons for inconsistent play

1. Loss of focus
2. Misreading
3. Bad stamina

1 and 2 are habits and to change habits as fast as possible you have to focus your mental energy on them, the more the better. This means its harder to change habits when you are playing maps that are at 80-100% of your skill level since you are using all your focus to play the best you can. Play easier maps if you want to focus on changing your habits.

1/3. To solve loss of focus/bad stamina you have to practice longer maps and focus on keeping combo
2. To solve misreading you have to play hard to read maps. These maps force you to explicitly read each note
PriestRSC

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

1. Loss of focus
Wow defined me in one sentence...
The Gambler

Deva wrote:

PriestRSC wrote:

Basically most of my scores...