forum

How often do you play 'harder' songs?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
4ksrub
This question is probably geared more towards the more advanced players in osu!mania

Over the past summer break. I have decided to really push my osu! skills to the next level. As a result, I've been playing roughly 2-3 hours every day for the past 3 months. I've been trying to focus on 5-6* dump/chordjacking/fast stream maps, and even though I've been playing consistently, I did not seem to make any progress. In fact, I made less progress than when I was playing only twice a week!

During my preparation for the MWC, I completely stopped playing these maps and put all my efforts into playing accuracy maps. Unfortunately, we lost on Sunday to Chile (ggwp), but overall it was still a fun ride.

After that ordeal, I decided to come back to play some of the 5-6* maps. And suddenly wala! The maps which I was struggling all summer just to get an A on I was now breezing through it with S's! Even though I have not touched speed at all for a week, I had actually improved.

Noticing that this was also the case with another team member and also was in line with an advice I received a while back, I came to the conclusion that you should spread out your time playing harder maps. Just as you do not want to lift weights on consecutive days, you do not want to play heavy dumps jacks and streams for sustained periods of time.

As such, for the better plays out there, how often do you play the harder maps, and how often do you just work on other skills like accuracy, LN's, SV's ,etc? Do you have a schedule in which you divide up your time accordingly?

Thanks
Yuudachi-kun
I play icyworld jumpstream everyday allday for 4 hours straight on the highest rate I can.

Jacks suck
LN are irrlevant
SV is irrelevant

Need more js
aitor98

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

I play icyworld jumpstream everyday allday for 4 hours straight on the highest rate I can.

Jacks suck
LN are irrlevant
SV is irrelevant

Need more js
Stepmania player in a nutshell

Apart from that, I usally work in almost every single skillset pretty much every day (not SVs tho) so I can maintain at the same level in different aspects. I usually play stuff that I can 97-98, but if I wanna play something with more complex patterns, I try to improve my A's into S's if I have the chance and the skill needed for it. Basically I play both "easy" and "hard" stuff in the same session I would say, It just depends on me if I want to play it or not.
Veracion
taking a break after some days of training gives the brain time to "store" your new skills
that's it really.
eggy
Rarely do I ever play harder maps, I usually just play maps around my skill range then after a while, I try to push myself and see how far I can go. The cycle repeats.
juankristal
I only play harder stuff when I feel I am having a good day. For example, I play some stuff I like and I notice I am getting better ratios than usual so I start playing harder stuff until I just go as hard as I can.

I dont have any sort of schedule, I just take the game casually and enjoy playing maps I like so at the end of the day most of the stuff I play is either LNs or SVs but eventually some speed days appear and I just play speed charts for a bit. Putting yourself goals in the mid term is usually a cool idea so you work on it (for example, getting tier X on LNs or getting dan X on speed).

Another good tip is not playing the same map multiple times as it creates mindblocks and doesnt really help you improving in general. It will only (and not always) improve your abilities to perform those patterns at that bpm so is usually not really worth it.

A bit of tips at least from my side, hope it helps.
abraker
I really push myself once a month or every half month depending on how I am at the time. That one or two days a month I play until the pain makes me worse and I need to stop. I'm talking about 20 retries or so trying to pass a map I wanted to pass for a while. Every week or so I would push my self to farm pp on either server. On ever other day, I just play maps and see where acc improves. I have enough maps where I can play each map once a month and be able to play 10 or so maps everyday, so I typically get see improvement which ranges from 0.1% to 3%. On days I really really suck (+5-10ms on 4* streams), I farm score on 2* or 3* maps, and if I get bored with that, I go try out other gamemodes or work on one of my beatmaps.

That's pretty sums up my way of playing the game.
akuma123

aitor98 wrote:

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Jacks suck
LN are irrlevant
SV is irrelevant

Need more js
Stepmania player in a nutshell
Even for a stepmania player that is really bad xD

I usually play the "easy" maps at the beggining to warm up and practice the acc a little bit and then i play the hard maps, for the hard maps i try to dont repeat the same style of map so much, for example not to play more than 6 or 7 jumpstreams, speed, jack, etc in a row. Also i dont play all the days because you can get "mentally tired", i usually take one or two days of break, maybe is that because you didnt improve so quickly in those 3 months (breaks are really important).
And for SVs, i dont think that is something that you practice, to me is more of memorizing the SVs of an specific map, and the time that you take to memorize all the SVs will depend of the map.
ReTLoM
Search: Keys=7 Stars>3.5 Stars<7 Status!=r
press F2 and play
Bobbias
I am probably the exception, but I tend to play stuff I can B at best more often than anything else, I think (that, or stuff I can only barely A). Although this applies more to 7k than 4k (I also have a tendency to play stuff I can't pass with NF quite a lot, once again, more often in 7k than 4k).