forum

Shawn Wasabi & Hollis - OTTER POP

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
M i X
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 3 stycznia 2019 at 16:05:58

Artist: Shawn Wasabi & Hollis
Title: OTTER POP
Tags: Otter pop shawn wasabi & hollis
BPM: 186
Filesize: 1719kb
Play Time: 01:20
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0 stars, 1 notes)
  2. Foxx's Light Insane (3.89 stars, 221 notes)
  3. Hard (3.2 stars, 211 notes)
  4. Insane (4.67 stars, 239 notes)
  5. Normal (1.89 stars, 53 notes)
Download: Shawn Wasabi & Hollis - OTTER POP
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
if you haven't checked this beatmapsets/669959#osu/2523130 mapset yet then you are doing something wrong
BeatOfTheDragon
Hello!

Sadly, I found your map to have quite a lot of issues.
But don't worry, it will not require too much effort.
Let's get started:

Timing
I've noticed that you are very new to mapping, and that's alright, I'm here to help you.
The timing section is very off, for a few reasons:
  1. The correct BPM is actually 186, instead of 185.96. Typically, the BPM of a song is an integer, not a decimal, so you'd want to be cautious. If you find yourself getting frustrated with finding the BPM of a song, it's probably best for you to find another song that's easier for you to figure out the BPM.
  2. A major issue here is that you didn't determine the offset. This is a big problem because typically, songs start on a distinctive note at the very beginning, which determines the offset. Without the correct offset, you The correct offset
  3. The time signature is actually 4/4, not 5/4. If you set the correct BPM and offset and listen to the metronome of the ticking in the Timing section, you can hear the difference between 4/4 and 5/4.
  4. Lastly, the Beat Snap Divisor is 1/4, not 1/6. Yes, it can be confusing to know what is the correct Beat Snap Divisor, but listen very closely to the rhythm of the song.
================================================================================================
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ju_10NkGY
I'm sure that this song's Beat Snap Divisor is 1/6. (I know it's a strange pick but it's not a bad option)
Now, compare that song to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT-JzR0qn3o
That song's Beat Snap Divisor is 1/4.
By comparing both of these songs to each other, you can tell that the rhythm is strong in both songs, but the notes/sounds would land on different Beat Snap Divisors.
================================================================================================

Composition (In General)
Overall, you have a pretty nice start on mapping according to the song. However, as this map is pretty messy due to inconsistency and off timing, I would strongly recommend remapping everything. I cannot mod this due to my lack of experience on modding messy maps.

My Advice
So what would I say to help get you started?
Well for timing, I've basically told you how to get started. Now, for Composition:
If you haven't checked the Ranking Criteria for osu! standard beatmaps, you must. It'll give you a sense on how to improve mapping and what are the standards on getting a beatmap ranked.

ADVICE:
I think you should look at other ranked beatmaps and analyze how each note is structured to the next. I suggest looking at Normal/Hard Difficulties, because they map to the rhythm pretty nicely. I feel like you didn't know how to make a map structured. The secret is just flow and appropriate distance snap.
If you need someone's maps to look at, I strongly suggest ezek. Although he would doubt himself at times, he is actually an experienced and good mapper.
In addition, keep practicing and experimenting with mapping, you'll eventually get better with it if you keep going and putting in effort.

Wish you luck!

- BoTD
Topic Starter
M i X
Indeed this map is messy, mainly because song was made on a launchpad. I will be back with this once I learn some more. For now I guess I will take your advice since first hand experience is way better.
BeatOfTheDragon
That's alright, just take your time to learn mapping, you'll get it!

The fact that this song was played on a launchpad doesn't necessarily mean your map will automatically be messy. You can map any song in any mode (STD, Mania, Taiko, CTB), regardless of how it was played. However, the timing of a song is just the thing to look out for. Shawn Wasabi is actually pretty precise with timing his presses, so the song flows pretty well. Therefore, you can rely on your map to be accurate on timing and rhythm due to Shawn Wasabi's precision on his performance on the song.

Most amateurs that play launchpads have trouble with timing their presses right, and those are the type of songs/mp3 files you'd want to avoid mapping.

Just stick to whatever feels right for you, and you'll be fine :)

Don't let my mod bring you down. It just means you have a few things to learn about mapping!

Good luck~
BeatOfTheDragon
Oh, also my apologies.

I didn't give you the correct offset

The correct offset is: 926(I believe)

In addition, without the correct offset, a map will sound very off, despite having the correct BPM and time signature.
Tibula
This map is pretty cool, and I see a lot of potential, but if you're up for suggestions, the hp drain seems quite unforgiving for a 4 star map, and the middle section with lots of slider looping on to each other feels pretty repetitive, but hey that's my opinion. This map's real cool and I hope it gets ranked some day. I hope you found this helpful!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.